Just ordered a Trends 10.1 Class T Digital Amp - A whopping $130

Cut-Throat

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well based on my initial test the Trends does indeed sound better than my usual ROTEL RA-1060 INTEGRATED AMP in my system in my room at low to medium level ( which is how I have to listen unfortunatly at the moment ).

My Dad is coming over at the weekend, and he's responsible for my interest in music and hifi, he has a very nice system himself, i'll see if he agree ( he doesn't know i've got the trends and the amp is out of view so i'll see if he notices.....hehehehe ).

I don't know anything about theory........all I know is what I hear, in my situation.

Just hooked this $130 POS to the CW.

Guess what.

Crap too. A bit less than with a 16 ohms load but still.

Me think most of you who go "wow" are saying in reality "wow I only paid $130 for something that makes sound".

Oh the power of internet.

For the next cheapo hype, I strongly suggest you shell out the $130 to get the missie in a nice restaurant instead. We never know, you might get lucky in the evening. Can't think of a better way to get a life.

i don't think any audiophile should consider them as their main amplifier

And yet you thought the Trends sounded better than both the Monarchy and your AE-25 Superamp. I think if all of your listening is done at a watt or two then they should at least be given a shot, and the small investment means a lot of money left over for some other things (like better speakers).

I would not recommend the AE-25 or Monarchies as your main amp either. I would not recommend the Monarchy amps for the Klipschorn as they just pointed out their weaknesses. I used the Monarchies on some 86db speakers and they were not bad. My Super Amp is OK, but I have better amps.

But I agree, If money was an issue, you could use the cheapie digital amps. I would want to upgrade down the road however. $130 is usually well below an audiophile's budget for an amp. Heck Dean, you talked me into $300 for some V-caps alone.

Since you preffered the Sonic Impact, I may buy one of those also. - $130 is way too cheap not to own one.

i don't think any audiophile should consider them as their main amplifier

And yet you thought the Trends sounded better than both the Monarchy and your AE-25 Superamp. I think if all of your listening is done at a watt or two then they should at least be given a shot, and the small investment means a lot of money left over for some other things (like better speakers).

Well when are you going to get some better speakers?

post-7461-13819334350968_thumb.gif

Just hooked this $130 POS to the CW.

Guess what.

Crap too. A bit less than with a 16 ohms load but still.

Me think most of you who go "wow" are saying in reality "wow I only paid $130 for something that makes sound".

Oh the power of internet.

For the next cheapo hype, I strongly suggest you shell out the $130 to get the missie in a nice restaurant instead. We never know, you might get lucky in the evening. Can't think of a better way to get a life.

Gosh I'll take you to dinner for this post LOL!!!

Jeff, I can understand the thing not doing much for you, but it shouldn't sound bad. With your higher voltages over there, I'm wondering what the impact (if any) would be on the bias. Did you check it?

Well when are you going to get some better speakers?

You're hopeless.

You are right Dean, but admit it, that was funny as hell. I was laughing my *** off.

On another note, just to keep with the theme of this thread, my VintageRestomoddedDynaco's are kicking ***. More tubes arrived today. The amps are now operating with NOS Mullard GZ34's, NOS RCA 12bh7's, and NOS Mullard 4004's. I have a set of NOS GE 5 star 5751's on the way to play with as well and some NOS Tung Sols are in sight.

I am listening to Rush 2112 right now @ a steady 90dB with peaks hitting 100+ dB's. It is no less than absolutely f^@*ing brilliant. I don't think ANY cheap lil digital amp could come close to the sound and presentation.

I am listening to Rush 2112 right now @ a steady 90dB with peaks hitting 100+ dB's. It is no less than absolutely f^@*ing brilliant. I don't think ANY cheap lil digital amp could come close to the sound and presentation.

Nope, they won't do that.

EDIT: Actually, they might be able to handle that, it's borderline. Of course, it won't sound the same --

"EDIT: Actually, they might be able to handle that, it's borderline. Of course, it won't sound the same -- "

Of course it may not sound the same, Dean. We all don't hear the same way, or have the same listening objectives and preferences. The borderline call is appropriate for you, but my experience was not something I would describe as being 'borderline' in any way.

Kevin really likes his trend amp, Lessard thinks it's worthless. Two big extremes, which illustrates, again, how subjective ALL of this is. It's nothing personal in the least, and I'm not saying tube amps can't compete with digital. There are lots of factors that come into play, not the least of which is what someone happens to like or dislike.

Erik

Borderline in the context of power. Remember, the Super-T only has four watts -- the TEAC has almost 30. When I said it wouldn't sound the same, I was referring to how different the digital stuff sounds than tube stuff (and they do). No doubt though, people hear differently and like different things -- no disagreement there.

Sure I understand that, and that is a good point. I guess I need to tack on, too, that even with the case of power, the final judgement in terms of what constitutes the term/s 'loud' or 'powerful enough' is also individually based. I've been a SET amp user for many years, but think it's probably less than what I would like for listening to high resolution surround recordings of certain kinds of music. I was all but certain I heard the Moondogs yelp (meaning they clipped) when listening to Pink Floyd's SACD the other day, as well as the center channel distort. I'm working on both of those right now, because what I heard was probably the best I've heard in terms of overall reproduction -- ever.

I do agree with you about digital and tube sounding different, but even tubes can sound different from other tubes, transistors from different members of that tribe, and so forth. There are good and less good implementations of every kind of output device, and, again speaking for myself, I would prefer to choose a good and strong circuit design (subjective again), regardless of what it used to squirt the signal at the speakers.

Erik

Jeff, I can understand the thing not doing much for you, but it shouldn't sound bad. With your higher voltages over there, I'm wondering what the impact (if any) would be on the bias. Did you check it?

I'll have to confess than the brightness of the room might push the end result (POS+CW) from Blah to Bad. I'm still stuck with a rather poor room that would benefit from mini-monitors instead.

I didn't really check the bias since there was no pop at all at turn on. While quite subjective as a way of performing measurements, it is a good indicator that you're not shooting DC in the drivers. I'll double check with a multimeter though.