Just ordered a Trends 10.1 Class T Digital Amp - A whopping $130

Cut-Throat

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't believe there aren't more interested in giving the Trends a try. It is packed and ready to ship. It is certainly worth trying to understand what this technology sounds like.

Dean.....have you heard this model?

Mark Deneen?

Craig?

Anyone else?

I wouldn't mind comparing it to the Super-T I have. That was a nice write up btw -- pretty much what I expected you'd come back and say. Your room is good sized, and I knew you liked to listen in the 90-95dB range. The Super-T sounds pretty good to me run at the lower end of its range, and most of time I'm sure I'm well under a 1/4 watt. It does get jacked up for movies, and it's good enough for that. I do just about all of my music listening now around 10:30 at night in a dead quiet room, and I think it does very well for that. Also, and like Dee pointed out -- I didn't care for the sound all that much with a preamp in front of it (Peach or Lexicon).

Ooo! It would be cool for Dean to have a go at it for a comparison.

After that, if there's any downtime with it (after those such as you listed Mark).... I wouldn't mind hearing it. Or - are any owners going to bring it to KlipschFest coming up?

I ran the Trends as loud as I could get it to go without any audible distortion for about 10 CDs.......basically all afternoon and evening. I felt that I ran it as hard as it could be run (sorry Paul [:D]). I experimented with all different types of music. It operated perfectly all the while, and is well ready for the next reviewer. I stand by my comments though. It's a cleverly designed s/s sounding amp. It is just a low powered version of one, and I was being picky with my comments......as one should be to be fair. But it does lack midrange authority....the top end is a hair too edgey for me......and the clarity of its bass is its strongpoint IMHO. Again...being picky. It's a fine sounding amp for what it is.

Dean, I can understand how it fits the bill adequately in your environment. You are right with your comments about my environment.....and I never took the amp apart to try it with no preamp. I just hooked it up to my Jolida, Peach, and Khorns and let it rip.

I'm guessing Paul will approve you as being next Dean. [:D]

Why not email me your address and phone number and I'll ship it tomorrow morning. I'm interested to see if the Trends beats a Super T or not....and your general comments.

hi all,

i've been listening to mine daily now for over two weeks. still enjoying it a lot. however i would still like someone to help me about how to hook two of these up to a set of klipschorns. would love to be able to amplify the woofers seperate from the mids/tweeters. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

pete

They sound like crap right out of the box. You might consider leaving it in for a couple of days before writing it completely off (if you can stand the pain). OTOH, it could be the high impedance load.