How do Tubes sound?

colterphoto1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael,

I brought over a Pas-2 preamp original from around 1960 Joshnic so kindly provided me, an AMC CVT 2030 hybrid EL34 stereo amp with less than 5 hours on it, and just to show off I brought over the Sheng Ya/Vincent tube CD player which we used on SS and tube both. Basic entry level stuff. BTW, the AMC tubes aren't even broke in yet. After they warmed up they do sound pretty nice though. Tube equipment isn't as fragile or finicky or tempermental as many are misled to believe.

If you like, I can bring over a nice MC 275, My McAlister PP-150, Dodd pre, or EL34 Triad homebrew monoblocks, and take the auditions to another level.

I enjoyed myself last night Michael. Thank you again for having me over. It was a treat and real pleasure for me.

HarryO

..."SET - Until I had the chance to try a couple of truly outstanding SET amps with my own sources material and system, I had seriously considered it. However, as a pipe organ lover and occasional listener to Dark Side of the Moon, they won't do. While utterly captivating on 95% of the literature they run out of steam (very politely...you only don't know it's not there if you are aware it is supposed to be...don't try that with SS) when called upon to reproduce deep, sustained bass.

Actually, with no limits on money I'd have a couple of SET's for the wonders they perform on the other 95%."

I agree with Dave, but I must also mention that in my tiny listening room, my 8 watt SET with two powered subwoofers do all my pipe organ recordings justice (up to 95dB or more, which is plenty loud in my small space with my 97dB-efficient RB-75s). Anything more and clipping surely occurs, although now my 300B amp isn't trying to produce all the low bass pedal notes since my subs take care of that portion of the musical spectrum.

Since your room is considerably larger than mine, Michael, SETs probably wouldn't be your best bet. But with so many other top-quality choices in more powerful PP and OTL topologies, you needn't worry about runnin' outta steam.

HarryO

If you brought the AMC2030 over to Michael's place, you cheated.

The AMC2030 is a 30 watt per channel class A output tube amp which is amazingly quiet due to it's hybrid MOSFET architecture in the driver stage. It uses diodes along with resistors in the bias circuts of the output tubes.

You would be searching for a long time to find a better sounding off the shelf EL-34 based tube amplifier.

Just as an aside, I also used to own an affordable AMC CVT 1030s tube preamp which controlled my SS McIntosh MC7200...a very nice combo of tube sweetness with the sheer power of SS! The 1030s used a matched pair of NOS '83 JAN Philips 12AU7 drivers and 12AX7s for the MM/MC phono stage. It was a very good sounding preamp with many of the qualities tube lovers enjoy at a fraction of the cost. I never had the chance to mate it with a tube power amp...I'm sure it would've been great.

post-11084-13819330252318_thumb.jpg

Hey SF,

Not really cheating. They are a nice medium powered amp that is very clean. I just wanted to give him an entry level amp tryout to give him the basic sound of tubes. We may have different hearing preferences but I prefer the sound of the McAlister, Mc, or vintage transformer monoblocks to the AMC. I consider the AMC a good entry level amp. Especially for the buck. New for that kind of money is hard to beat for sure.

HarryO

JT brought up a good point. My room is 15x22, with Khorns perfectly placed on the long wall. There is ample windows, which need curtains, Brazilian Cherry hardwood floors (yes real 3/4" hardwood), and 1" plasterboard walls- no drywall 'ping' here.

I have a 6x9 heavy wool oriental rug, 8' sofa, and three moderate sized chairs along with some tables. This room functioned as my photo gallery so there are numerous pieces hung on the walls, most mounted on 1/4" gatorfoam. I don't know if this helps or not. It is a fairly lively room, but very little slapback echo. I really like the lively acoustics of this room in contrast to my HT room which has the wood walls and double carpet pad.

I'll get a few photos to post soon.

M

Michael, I've got a Dynaco ST70 that's been sitting for awhile. It was rebuilt by Craig,I got it from Joesportster seems like a long time ago.It smoked a tranny and has at least one bad tube. Craig made it sound like an easy fix.I now run three MKIII's and have two MKIV's as back up,so I really can't see using the ST70 again. Down side is you would need a pre for it.Cheap money or trade for Lp's? Just a thought!

Larry

Michael,

FYI

You heard my khorns in a 20 x 12 foot room with my Scott 355 preamp / Scott 208 power amp (a 7591 based power amp)

The Scott 222C that's being offered currently is an EL34 based amp. It's a beauty, and I almost considered buying it myself. If you have the scratch I'd go ahead with it. You won't lose much money, if any, if you decide to sell it. I'm betting that you would like it.

The 299B that I have powers my son's Tannoy SGM 12's. I bought it from Texas42, a forum member, and it was good to go right out of the box. Craig had done his 'magic' on it and I've been quite pleased with it. I've had it on my khorns, but I like the 355 better. As Craig mentioned in the 222C thread... different cut of beef from the same cow....

My khorns have ALK crossovers, and THEY were the best upgrade I've EVER made. Gary mentioned on the other thread 'Colter needs tubes' that you should get good crossovers. Do it. He's right.

Good luck and have fun with this.

Woo

The Scott 222C that's being offered currently is an EL34 based amp. It's a beauty, and I almost considered buying it myself. If you have the scratch I'd go ahead with it. You won't lose much money, if any, if you decide to sell it. I'm betting that you would like it.

Hey Woo the Scott 222C uses EL84 output tubes. Good quality EL84 amps are one of my favorites!

I use to have one and I really liked it with my KHorns Michael.

mike tn[:)]

Michael, the Scott is about the BEST starter setup into tubes, and (a VERY important and!) it is both iconic and idiosyncratic in your showroom. There are not many setups that will be clean, gentle on the eyes, and stylish. The Scott will serve you well, until you choose to move on and/or up.

You have to find something that aesthetically represents you and fits your room, and the Scott can do both, as well as sounding superb.

I "DJed" at a St. Louis Contemporary Art gallery function and used the Mahogany Heresys with the Scott 299C and a Rega Planet. Threw CDs in and walked away. At the end of the night, my cousin was estatic at the amount of $$$ they raised via silent auction and donations. He also mentioned he received 16 bids on the Scott, 8 for the Heresys, and two for the Rega.

Follow the same path I did. It won't disapoint.

As far as the tube nazis, there is a time for all seasons, and you have enough speakers for each day as well. Water one set with tubes!

The Bottom end comes alive................Personally speaking, I don't notice that much of a difference in the High's and Mid's, but the Bass response is another matter all together, deeper, FULLER sound, richer sound...................The Scott is the way to go Mike, simple, solid performer, and being NOSvavled is an added plus....................and, I run a sub with my 299-D......Amazing how good Heresy's can sound...Lack of Bass response, Yeah Right.......................You will not be in a rush to hear the Yamaha in 2 channel after hearing the Scott..........I know this for fact !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael, you may want to consider Larry's Dynaco ST-70 since they're easy to fix and modify. Have it sent to Craig for the necessary repairs, and then you've got a sweet 30-ish watt tube amp. Bet you could also find a nice tube preamp for little coin and have Craig do his magic on it. So many brands to choose from it boggles the mind! To me, half the fun is in the hunt for these valved treasures, and the internet's the perfect hunting grounds.

Hey Woo the Scott 222C uses EL84 output tubes. Good quality EL84 amps are one of my favorites!

I use to have one and I really liked it with my KHorns Michael.

mike tn[:)]

heh. what he said. I went and got the 299B from my kid's room and hooked it up to the khorns just because it's been a long time since I've done that. Yep... it's nice!

Woo

Michael, I've got a Dynaco ST70 that's been sitting for awhile. It was rebuilt by Craig,I got it from Joesportster seems like a long time ago.It smoked a tranny and has at least one bad tube. Craig made it sound like an easy fix.I now run three MKIII's and have two MKIV's as back up,so I really can't see using the ST70 again. Down side is you would need a pre for it.Cheap money or trade for Lp's? Just a thought!

Larry

Any idea what $$ it'd take to get it running again? I know nothing about these? Is it much watts that'd be okay with my khorns? I certainly have a pile of LP's here if I put my mind to it.