I got my Denon

banasikdrummer

In case you were an avid reader of my "crappy receiver = crappy sound?" thread, you'll know that I had been waiting for my Denon AVR-1906 to replace my Philips FR994. Well, it came in the mail today and I hooked it up. Although I hyped up how much better it would make my babies sound, I'm still happy with it, but I did have one question for you guys.

With my last receiver, I noted how I could put my ear up to the tweeter and hear a slight fuzz when nothing was playing, which I was told to be normal. Well, with the Denon, the fuzz is still there, but it's incredibly more audible. What could be some causes of this?

With my last receiver, I noted how I could put my ear up to the tweeter and hear a slight fuzz when nothing was playing, which I was told to be normal. Well, with the Denon, the fuzz is still there, but it's incredibly more audible. What could be some causes of this?

Well with my Denon/Klipsch combination I hear no buzz whatsoever. Is the picture for your avatar how you have your system placed? If so, have you tried to move the RF35's further away from the TV? Maybe you are getting some stray interference from the TV. Not necessarily a ground loop problem. In a prior setup, I would get a slight buzz transferred to my RC3 from the TV when I had it sitting on top the TV.

Now, the picture of my avatar was the first day I got my set-up and had it in my living room. Since then, I moved everything into my bedroom. Below is a picture of the bulk of my crap (RS-7s and sub are on the opposite side of the bed), which will hopefully get a response from someone saying, "You have way too much stuff in a small space." In a little while, I'm going to unplug everything except for the Denon and see if the fuzz is still there...if it's not, I'll know for sure the issue is all the power cords running by the speaker wires. If that doesn't solve the problem, though, I'll be back on here to complain and try to get some advice for what might be wrong.

IMG_0602.jpg

get it to where the buzz is happening, then one by one, turn off the pc monitor, turn off the TV, shut down the PC, unplug inputs to the back of the receiver one by one until you have either heard the buzz stop or have nothing but the speakers and power cord connected to the denon.

If you get to where the noise might be coming from a power cord, you might consider trying a power conditioner or trying to plug in the receiver and speakers in a different circuit in the house. Are there any flourescent lights anywhere in the house you could try turning off when the buzz is happening?

Before reading this, I was in the process of turning everything off. I only had my Denon plugged into a surge protector that was plugged in near all this other stuff and the buzz was still going on. I'm getting ready to unplug the denon completely, move it across the room and plug in one of my speakers to it and check if the buzz still remains. I should post up again here in about ten minutes.

Alright, I plugged the Denon into a wall outlet away from everything and ran some speaker wire to my left RS-7, which is the most isolated from everything, but the fuzz was still there. Is there a chance the factory refurbished Denon could be crap? I seriously don't know what else could be wrong in the last setup I tried, but I know that I don't like hearing fuzz from four feet away during the entire time my Denon is turned on...

Yeah, I've pretty much convinced myself that the Denon has something wrong with it, because I went back to my original set-up but switched the Denon out with my old Philips receiver, which produced a fuzzy sound at normal volume that was just barely audible with my ear as close to the tweeter as I could get it, as opposed to being able to hear the fuzz four feet away with the lowest possible volume on the Denon.

I don't think you guys are gonna be able to help too much on this one, so I'm giving Denon a call today along with e-mailing the guy I bought this from.

Banasikdrummer,

Not to sound rude but lately when you've had an issue/question you've started topics in a couple different sections on the same problem. It might be easier for you & us if you stick with one area of the forum so that you don't have to go back and forth in all the areas that you've posted to find answers that people posted.

That being said, I answered your post about this problem in the other area of this forum before I saw this one. [Y]

Banasikdrummer,

Not to sound rude but lately when you've had an issue/question

you've started topics in a couple different sections on the same

problem. It might be easier for you & us if you stick with

one area of the forum so that you don't have to go back and forth in

all the areas that you've posted to find answers that people posted.

Yeah,

I posted up the "I got my Denon" thread and asked about the problem

before I realized that everyone who told me to keep them updated with

my system was in the technical questions portion of the forum and not

here. Had I realized that, I wouldn't have put anything in home theater

and stuck with the technical portion, since my problem seem to fit

there a lot more...

Denon being noisy? Not with my two Denon receivers, something crazy is going on somewhere. Hope you find the cause.

That's what I'm thinkin',all my Denons were very quiet.That was one thing I did like about Denon.I'd suspect most anything but the Denon,but anything is possible.

Denon being noisy? Not with my two Denon receivers, something crazy is going on somewhere. Hope you find the cause.

That's what I'm thinkin',all my Denons were very quiet.That was one thing I did like about Denon.I'd suspect most anything but the Denon,but anything is possible.

At first, I suspected electrical interference or poor connections of some sort, which was eliminated when I both unplugged everything around the receiver and moved it to another part of my room and only hooked up one speaker with the fuzz still there. I also plugged in headphones to the headphone jack, and there was a somewhat audible fuzz from there too. Lastly, when I switched the Denon for my old Philips, the only hiss from the tweeters that was aparaent was either when my ear was as close to the tweeter as possible or when I was about a foot away but had the volume all the way up.

What type of adjustment for treble does the Denon have? Did you check to make sure that it isn't boosted way up?

{edit} On second thought that shouldn't really affect any hissing you're hearing with no signal going to the receiver. Just trying to save you from having to ship the receiver in for service. [:)]

Well, I appreciate the thought. I thought about the treble too (before I disconnected all the inputs), but it and the bass were both at zero. As for shipping the receiver in, though...I e-mailed the guy I bought it from and he says if the service center about a half hour from here won't take care of it, he'll send me a prepaid shipping thing to put on the package so I won't have to pay any shipping. So at least all isn't bad...