which one would you trade?????

dkalsi

I have 77 Cornwall is literally 10/10 condition. (Only mod: new cast frame woofers from Bob C.)

I also have 83 La Scalas in 9/10 condition. (No modes)

I bought Khorns and have the option to use one of these speakers as partial trade.

Which one would you give up? and why?

having had both speakers i would trade the lascalas. i am using the cornwalls for my fronts in my ht.

to me the cornwall is the overall winner between the 2.

once you start listening to the khorns both of the other speakers will be sitting in another room and the cornwalls take up less space. if in the future you are going 3 channel stereo you will looking for a belle anyway.

good luck

danny

My feelings are the LS. As others have said the CW's take up less space, and to me they provide a better overall sound, than the LS. The Bass in the CW's would work well with the K Horns............. Hopefully Michael colter will jump in and give us the "Expert" opinion...........

If you are looking for a speaker to match with the KHorn, the LS is the speaker of choice. Period.

But I love the benefits of horn loading in the KHorn coupled with the 'dump the LS and go with the CW' illogic. Completely different timbers. One might wonder why, if one prefers the CW over the LS, that they would get the KHorns anyway...all the KHorn does is offer a bit lower LF response coupled with more restrictive placement.

Stop for a second and think...which speaker was designed specifically to mate with the KHorn as a center channel, and which of these choices most closely matches this? In fact, which speaker matches the MF & HF components exactly!? Thus even more closely mating with the KHorn... Hmmmmm?

But, to employ a completely dry wit, why use response characteristics as a basis for decision when you can see which one better matches the drapes and is smaller?

Assuming you can work out the value differences......trade the LaScala's.  The Cornwalls have a unique sound that could augment any future arrangements to compliment the Khorns, or is used else where will bring some nice sound in almost any room config.  The LaScala's are nice speakers, but need lots of space to breathe and as a result, not as flexible as the Cornwalls.  

According to PWK, your ear perceives the highest level of distortion as the level of distortion for the system. As the ported Cornwall's bass distortion is supposedly much higher than the horn-loaded LaScalas, and the LaScala's efficiency matches that of the corner horn, the LS should be the better match.

So much for logic. I've used both a CW and a LS for a center speaker, and liked the Cornwall better - simply because the LaScala had a more "in your face" presentation and a narrower sweet spot. The Cornwall was less agressive and seemed to blend in better. Plus, it takes up less room, which, unless your listening room is baronial, becomes an issue when you start talking about several cubic feet of loudspeaker.

I'd probably go with the Cornwalls, all else being equal.

Sorry, I should have made this clear earlier...but all these speakers are not going to be in the same room. I bougt the Khorns to go into the new addition to our house. The La Scalas or the Cornwall will remain in my basement.

One thing that someone I know mentioned was that, the Khorn and the La Scalas are infact a very good match, they are alost identical in regards to mids and highs. He added that since these speakers are not going to be in the same room.... I will not be missing the sound of La Scalas if they are sold... I could always get the sound of La Scalas from Khorns.... but I could never get the sound of Cornwall from the Khorns.....this is talking about the qaulity of sound, but the type of sound in general.... this I thought was interested...

I strongly agree with this person. Maybe the question should be which one would you choose if you had a choice between La Scalas or Cornwalls? I will personally try to run an A B comparison myself as soon as I get a chance.

I think there has been may posts on which one is a better speaker between the two alread.

The captn has the right answer IMHO. I run 3 channels and have all of the speakers mentioned. The Lascala DOES NOT match as well with the Khorns as the cornwalls do in my system. Most who have actually tried this, know this. I have heard that some disconnect the LaScala woofer (which is the compatibility problem) and then the Lascala matches well....but has no bass. There are old Klipsch brochures that show the vertical cornwall in between a pair of Khorns and advertise this as the 3 channel combo.

I have also read MANY times PWK's comment about distortion (mentioned above) and speaker matching. Regardless, it is a no brainer when you actually hook the speakers up and try it.

However, let's return to the thread.

You mention you can get $200 more for the Lascalas, but you never say how much. This makes a difference.

I love my LaScalas, but if I HAD to let a pair go.....it would be the LaScalas. The corns and Khorns are the more compatible pair. There might be a day when you want to play more than 1 pair together (HT) or go 3-way.

Well.....since you have them all what do you think about it? Which sound more alike to you?

I have both lascalas and corns. Both are excellent speakers, but if I had the same choice I'd lose the lascalas before the cornwalls... The cornwalls, to my ears, have a more balanced sound. 200 bucks worth of balance.??. To me I'd have to say yes...

Sorry, I should have made this clear earlier...but all these speakers are not going to be in the same room. I bougt the Khorns to go into the new addition to our house. The La Scalas or the Cornwall will remain in my basement.

Oh, in that case, why not two different systems, for different flavors for different kinds of music? Feel like one, turn to it -- feel like another, get some variety there instead. The Corns are much more homey IMO.

My trade option was:

600-800 on my Cornwalls - Type B Crossover, 1977, consecutive serials - Condition 10/10 Mods: new Bob C. cast frame woofers

700-900 on my La Scalas - Type B Crossover, 1983, consecutive serials - Condition (9/10 - the previous owner stapled velcrow on to the face of the speaker for the grils)

I thought the La Scalas are worth more than that?

Last time our posts crossed. I didn't realize they would all be in separate rooms. You have a tough choice.

I like the suggestion of different systems. Then you could keep them all.

The numbers presented look about right. They could be higher for 9/10 and 10/10 conditions. Sometimes a pair will pull an outrageous price for one reason or another. The nice thing is that they will be worth that same money or maybe more in the future. If you can hang on for now maybe you could sell them outright for a little more later.

I still feel the same though......since yiou have the Ks, I'd have to let the LaScalas go if you have do something here. 10/10 1977 corns are not easy to come by.

I recently refinished my Cornwalls. That is part of the reason way I give them a 10/10...I bought them in raw Birch from the orignal owner. There were no scratches, no chips, absolutely nothing at all. NO woodfiller or anything of that nature, just stains, thats it.

The La Scalas have one small scratch and as i said, the previous owner stapled velcro into the face of the speaker....but all around the cabinate, excellent, every corner in super sharp.

Anyone in the washington dc area is more than welcome to come listen or check them out.

hello

i am the other half of this deal to those who dont know, i offered up my 77 kcbr horns with alk (580.00) x-overs, and upgraded crites tweets (170.00), and rewired with solid core silver wire (100.00)......................price asked was 1900 on a-gon, & 1800 to forum members but i agreed to deliver them to dkalsi for the total price of 1900.00,i further explained that this type deal of paying a deposit and then balance on delivery..it would have to be no refund as who knows how many sales i may loose if remorse sets in......... he jumped and sent deposit, then a couple days later expressed concern about going thru with the deal. (money issues, like we all have)..........so i offered up options refund all but 150.00 ( to cover expenses with listing 2 times, and cover my losses for the other buyer i lost when dkalsi agreed to this deal and i had already bought parts for my next adventure in speakers in excxess of 300.00 and had agreed to buy 450.00 more, that i would have waited to buy after selling the k-horns ) i then expressed the idea that i would take a partial trade in on the k-horns to ease the money issues buyer was having.....i also offered to allow a couple more weeks for the balance.......my offer was not for me to have another pair of speakers because i dont need them, i have no room for them, i have no use for them. i explained this and stated that i would simply resale the speakers to recoup the balance on the k-horns............ THIS WAS THE BASIS FOR MY OFFERED PRICES ON HIS SPEAKERS..................i was simply trying to help dkalsi make ends meet and get the speakers he expressed he had been wanting for a long time...........the speakers may sale for more on the open market sometimes they do but only to buyers that plan to use them for there oun enjoyment

joe

I love Larry's decript of Corns being Homey[:D] With that said I'm like he, you are going with K-horns so let your folded LaScalla's go and keep the in your face rockers for a different sounding system unless you are combining for an HT then as mentioned the Scallies will mate better with the K's IMO[;)]

Good man Joe[H]

Thanks for all your responses guys,

I will leave it up to Joe to decide if you still wants to offer me the trade option. If not, then I will be moving out the bed and sleeping on the speakers until i can make more room.

Once agains, thanks for your responses