Like manna from Heaven, the Heywood auction of my life!

sheltie dave

As some of you know, we do have hobbies beyond things stereo and Klipsch. My wife LOVES Heywood Wakefield furniture, and there was an auction house forty minutes away from Argonne that had a significant auction two weekends ago, selling off about 70 pieces of collectible to highly collectible Wakefield. I picked up a good 1955 tall chest at that auction for $250, a little under low market on EBay. A solid deal, but not spectacular.

The auction house ran the second auction this afternoon, and there were two items that I really wanted to pick up - a trio of corner nesting tables that would boot the upstairs 1963 khorn into the basement, and a full sized dogbone bed that is one of the classic signature beds from the 1950s. Alas, a couple from Columbia MO snagged the nesting tables for $650, well above what I would throw down, and they also picked up the full bed for $375, again just above where I would have stopped.

Now the great news. EVERY single item I bid on not only resulted in me winning the auction, but I was the sole bidder in every auction!!! Hotter than a pistol:-)

Here is the command piece- the largest china cabinet HeyWake made, and projected to sell in the $900 to $1200 range. Everyone buying HeyWake at the auction brought only small trucks or vans and was from out of state, so a bizarre set of circumstances allowed it to fall to me at $300. If my wife allows me to sell it(highly doubtful,) there will be enough money for a new STeroids amp in the near future. Yeahaw! It was an amazing auction in Mazon, Illinois.

post-11894-13819330601336_thumb.jpg

When the dust settled, I left the auction house with three dogbone chairs, a 6 ft dining room table a TV stand, the lazy susan coffee table, and the buffet for an additional $90. The big china cabinet is just glorious.

One of our Heywood Wakefield friends here in Chitown just completed an insurance appraisal at $3000 current market value, so even though there was no stereo stuff at the auction, it was a great way to spend a Sunday mid afternoon.

Now I just need to let Chicago Pete know about the valuable speakers at the Chicago estate sale this weekend. I have to rent a UHaul and drag all this stuff home.

Bob, checked with the county, and we have enough land in back to throw another house up. We just need to locate one that is being displaced, relo and set it up, and we'll have Heywood Heaven in the back lot for Colleen. It will give me more room to establish the man cave.

You're a good husband, Dave...

I don't know about buying anything that would boot a Khorn to the basement, though...

Kevin

At least then it could join its mate in the basement. Kevin, don't shed a tear for Dave about acquiring additional Heywood furniture. Its not just a job - its an adventure.

Shed a tear for me because I'll be helping him carry the Khorn to the basement. Of course, he'll still have plenty of Klipsch left over upstairs.......[:$] And what's one more speaker in the basement.

Carl.

Ahhhh lustron the home that will last a thousand years.....Congrats on the auction find....The fifties produced some great designers . I love the clean lines of that era.....Founders produced some great cabinets & am the proud owners of there efforts....It seems some great architecs were into designing good furniture too.

The deal just got a little bit better. I traded the buffet for an almost cherry JBL C37 Rhodes speaker with the 01 package - D130A 15" woofer, HE175DLH horn mid, N1200 crossover - all 16 ohms. Yummy, yummy, yummy! Now the Harkness won't feel all alone...