Sony vs HK vs Denon vs Yamaha, etc.

I would like to ask for advice, comments, or recommendations regarding sound & build quality, cost vs features, etc. from forum members who own 2 channel stero Sony, HK, Denon, Yamaha, amps/receivers (or the 5.1/7.1 HT) versions.

My wife and kids really want the living room HT to be a "one stop shopping" with a single "remote controlled" receiver. Right now with the multiple amp, etc. it's a "techno-pain" for them. I have three pairs of Heresy's in that room with a simple 12" subwoofer with a Dayton plate amp. I have a post in HT with specs of different 7.1 models that seem to be WAF approved (it's the remote control thing...), but really would like to ask members who own 2 channel models of these brands in this section.

My problem is that I have never purchased a "modern" amp/receiver and thus am not familiar (at all) with hardly anything anything made after about 1981...[:$] So any advice, comments, recommendation, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Marshall.

Have you thought about getting a universal remote like this, http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/features/harmony/us/en,CRID=2078. I have the 880 and after setup, via the internet, I just press TV, Radio, Music. It turns on the appropriate gear and turns off things that don't need to be on for that specific function. Now I don't know if I will ever go back the the three remote that I had to use for the same things.

James

I'm being "pinged" really hard on that remote issue also. Unfortunately..... the TV has a remote, the DTV receiver has a remote, and the DVD has a remote, the TASCAM CD has a remote... it's awful and they scatter them around the room, bathrooms, etc....

BUT, and this is where they are getting really "hostile": The amps, pre-mixer, ESS source selector, etc, do not have a remote. That's the "mechanical learning curve" problem for my wife and the kids. I love my wife and she's been with me since 1983, loves my Klipsch speakers, etc. but to this day, other than an amp's on/off switch and the volume control, that's as far as she want's to go. Her favorite piece of equipment is a 1984 12" TV with rabbit ears that's in the workshop!!. She won't even turn on the "monster array" system in the bedroom. Turns on the DTV and LCD watches the Gilmore Girls..., and listens through the TV's speakers. [:(]You can go from there....

The kids just like to watch movies and HDTV from the HD DTV receiver, etc. They want to turn on one receiver/amp and do those things without fooling around with multiple amps, source switches, pre-mixer master volume, individual amp/ speaker pair volumes, etc. The DVD is a Sony HDMI type, and the DTV remote will do the TV and the DTV; it won't do the DVD, and the TASCAM won't do anything but itself.... so either a "very smart" remote as you suggested, or a receiver's remote, dependent on the brand. One of the receivers I'm looking at (Sony) will apparently will do the DTV receiver, the TV itself, and by virtue of compatability..., the DVD. Since all of the "esoteric stuff" will be moved out, they'll be happy with a "black box", the Heresy's, and a remote....

On that note, since the family is adamant about the "sole source" issue, I'm going to move all of the separate amps, pre-mixer, source selector, TASCAM CD-R unit, etc., along with a pair of Khorns & Corwalls into the under-construction home office room when it's finished. They can watch movies, cartoons and soap operas... in the living room, and I'll just go hide out and play "sound engineer" with my "retro" stuff locked away in that room. [<:o]

I just don't want to buy a particular brand of 5.1/7.1 until after hearing what the forum members have experienced with the different brands. Gotta' make the family happy.... but need reliability and cost effectiveness for that application. On that part, I'm totally ignorant about what's available and what's reliable.

You will find followers of each brand defend their brand as better than the others. I am a Yamaha man. I have owned Yamaha equipment since the NS days in the mid '70s. Our HT receiver is a Yamaha RX-V 750, 7.1 that we bought new for about $600 a couple of years ago. I have nothing but good things to say about it and would buy another Yamaha in a heart beat. I am using an outboard amp (Yamaha M50) for the mains though, as I am running them in FULL and I wanted to BE SURE to hear everything. It sounded great all by it's self but I couldn't resist adding the seperate amp for the mains when it came up for $100.

A lot of people scoff at the auto setup but I have been very pleased with the results. You place the mic where you want to center the sound image and let the system do it's thing. I have found that it measured the distance from the speakers to the "spot" very well. It checked for phase, wire problems, set the crossover freq and delays properly. I have checked the setup with a meter and a setup disk and though I made a few tweaks, it was darn close.

I really appreciate this assistance. Given the room configurations, I need to make sure whichever I choose can (1) also do 2 channel stereo (CD's), and (2) can "set up" the room. I'm now considering using one of the spare Cornwalls as the "center", and the Heresy's as: "A", "surround", and "rear" respectively.

I'm also using a Yamaha RX-V750. Its learning remote lets me control the TV and DVD player, as well as the VCR, although it works best with the TV. The sound is clean and clear and there seems to be plenty of power. You can even use just the TV (no receiver) with the Yamaha remote, for non-technical viewing. According to the manual, the remote can be configured to control up to 11 devices.

The majority of the recommendations so far are HK & Yamaha in their various incarnations. Anybody have anything to say about Sony?

Also, the remote control issue is "bass ackwards". The Direct TV (HD) receiver does not seem to work worth a cr*p with any of my current remotes.... Anyone with a HD Direct TV receiver using other remotes (HK, Yamaha, etc.)?

Getting more educated!!! Thanks to everyone so far; keep advising!!

Related topic... FS: one of my precious Sansui AU-919's (something's gotta go...), very, very minty, Warren Bendler (Sansui.us) maintained; new multi purpose speaker 12ga/banana binding posts; direct coupled, twin torroidial transformers, etc. last service less than six months ago, exact factory specs; current use in the "wall of voodoo", yadee, yadee. If someone would like a nice high quality, black, vintage SS amp with x-low THD/TIM, 115 WPC, send me an email, etc. Asking for $450 for forum members. If no takers, off to eBay.... They'll go for over $500 on eBay in this condition. Grab it now!! Just kidding, but I really won't need this one after this project.

I've had an older Sony HT and thought it was barely OK. I 've also had the lower cost Yammie HT receiver (can't remember model number) from only about 3 years ago and got rid of it after only a year because it was to shrill with my various KG's. For two years I've been running a Denon for HT and also use it for SCAD and DVD-A. Very, very good and except for the SS grain it gives my tube setups a run for the money. I used it with Cornies and now am running it through Heresy's.

I could definetly live with it for both music and HT. Haven't heard the HK so can't say but I would say incomparable price ranges the Denon's the better buy.

You will find followers of each brand defend their brand as better than the others. I am a Yamaha man. I have owned Yamaha equipment since the NS days in the mid '70s. Our HT receiver is a Yamaha RX-V 750, 7.1 that we bought new for about $600 a couple of years ago. I have nothing but good things to say about it and would buy another Yamaha in a heart beat. I am using an outboard amp (Yamaha M50) for the mains though, as I am running them in FULL and I wanted to BE SURE to hear everything. It sounded great all by it's self but I couldn't resist adding the seperate amp for the mains when it came up for $100.

I'm on my fourth Yammie. I love em![;)]

Nothing against the other brands, and I have no basis for comparison, but have been very happy with the sound, reliability, and features of my Yamaha gear. Particularly the remote.

Michael

Other than Sony(only my opinion),any brand mentioned would be fine.I've owned several of each,I prefer HK for sound and power,then Denon for reliability and next best sound but that's all subjective cause we all have different preferences.It may not be practical but I'd try em' all and others to boot,good luck.

I'm getting a better "pitcher".... Looks like the Yamaha, Denon and HK are the brands most are familiar with. I think the problem with Sony is their not so good reputation for the low end stuff. I've had a couple of Sony DVD players, but they were always more of high end. One of the problems with all of them is the somewhat "sketchy" or "cryptic" info on the specs. Basically if this spec or capability is so great, they don't put it in a context I can understand.

In any event, I've got a good "short" list and if anybody has any ideas on options or specs, please let me know what to think about.

If I have not said it before, let me say it now that the members of this forum are absolutely the best. As "advisors" on such ventures you are the best, and I assure everyone that I really do appreciate your comments, suggestions, viewpoints, etc. regardless of whatever the particular choices may be. When one gets ready to "plunk down" $600+, it's a comfortable feeling to know what other members far more competent than I think.

Marshall,

Just a thought FWIW, one feature you may find useful, especially from a 'future-oriented' perspective is the USB connectivity.

Glancing quickly through the specs in the HT thread, I noticed that the HK offered this. I have had experience with the Denon units and have found them to be top notch for a highly integrated unit. And never having had hands on with the HK, it speaks volumes that I can't recall ever having heard a negative review regarding the HK!

All seem to have the capacity for 2 HDMI inputs. ...The only other significant interface 'in flux' that might be worth watching for is DisplayPort, which officially will supplant HDMI, et. al. But HDMI provides for the interfacing with HD playback devices. And in this regards, I would simply get a statement in writing that says the units are AACS/HDCP compliant - meaning that you can actually watch the HD recorded material in HD, and not simply plug them in!

While not necessary, with the advancing convergence trends the ability to add digital storage ( eg low cost online storage) and networked sources via USB connectivity, this feature alone may prove to be a significant asset.

Interesting.... The DisplayPort... Any idea when it will supplant HDMI? I've asked the vendors about AACS/HDCP compliance, but we shall not go there... They are sales folks and have no clue.... I think that the units that can accept 1080p (as opposed to 1080i) are the compliance models. What would really be good is the USB option if it simply allows the interface with the storage unit to act as the proxy DVD player. That would be neat (500 movies, click the button,and not have to get up except for beer........ Oh well, ain't technology neat...

You raise an excellent point regarding AACS /HDCP. But it does have some entertainment value asking that question.

Another way to 'ask' it is to have them certify in writing that the unit will support the HD-DVD and BluRay DRM (Digital Rights Management) standards and that you will be able to playback all existing copyguarded disks. A bit of a hassle, but I would get this in writing. It may ultimately be a waste if all is compliant and well. But on the other hand, it may save your posterior if not.

DisplayPort... Its no longer a proposal. It is the new ratified integrated interface standard.

I wish I had a good answer as to when we will see it incorporated, but my best guess in with the new series of releases. Expect it to trickle out like HDMI has.

[;)]