tubes and seasoned age

DrWho

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I've got it bad. Martial arts 3 times a week (just got my brown belt), listen to and build audio equipment about 1.5 times a week with the AES (I'm actually the vice-president and workshop director), building robots one night a week - working on an accurate wireless positioning system for going autonomous next year (IEEE Jerry Sanders team captain), I get to mix 2-3 live shows a week, student technician at everitt lab fixing equipment and prepping stuff for labs, and I'm just about to go out and play some frisbee with some friends. We do other stuff too, like cards, pool, bowling, football, bike rides etc...Every once in a while we'll go check out live acoustic concerts around campus and sometimes I get to do a little recording too. And somewhere in there I still manage to find the time to do about 40 hours a week of homework on top of all the lectures and crap. Things are kinda crazy trying to do a 5 year program in 3 years...I dunno how I find the time to hang out on the forum on top of it all.

Though....I dunno what all that's gotta do with changes in tonal balance resulting from amp-speaker impedance interactions...

your just never going to get it [;)] Now explain why SS is described by Tube users on many cases as shrill, bright and fatigueing...........

lol [:P] You're right - I'm never going to get it until someone starts posting quantifiable data instead of all these fancy descriptors subjective to psychoacoustics [:P]

What's a matter little fella, do you really need Qantifiable Data to tell you what your ear's hear? Or is this just another one of your lameass BS attempts to call attention to yourself.

Wait a second, didn't you once say that you are (soon to be were) an Engineering major, and didn't you say this is Finals Week????

Yet you have time for yet another BS post? This is incredulous, you are so smart, I can see your future as an engineer already, so here's little tribute just for you.

To See Your Engineering Future, CLICK HERE!!

Yea, I've got it bad. Martial arts 3 times a week (just got my brown belt), listen to and build audio equipment about 1.5 times a week with the AES (I'm actually the vice-president and workshop director), building robots one night a week - working on an accurate wireless positioning system for going autonomous next year (IEEE Jerry Sanders team captain), I get to mix 2-3 live shows a week, student technician at everitt lab fixing equipment and prepping stuff for labs, and I'm just about to go out and play some frisbee with some friends. We do other stuff too, like cards, pool, bowling, football, bike rides etc...Every once in a while we'll go check out live acoustic concerts around campus and sometimes I get to do a little recording too. And somewhere in there I still manage to find the time to do about 40 hours a week of homework on top of all the lectures and crap. Things are kinda crazy trying to do a 5 year program in 3 years...I dunno how I find the time to hang out on the forum on top of it all.

Though....I dunno what all that's gotta do with changes in tonal balance resulting from amp-speaker impedance interactions...

I'm not one to tell you what to do or what to think. You might know what your talking about or you might hear something in class and run back to the forum to type it in. I have no idea and never will because I am a simple listener. I just want things to sound good and have no inclination to figure out the technical aspects of 85% (that is an estimate for you engineering folk!) of what is going on with my gear. You want to listen to your stereo with measuring gear. Hey - that's cool. Have at it. If you are doing something you enjoy that is all that counts. You like solid state, that's great too. Hate tubes? Sure - go ahead. Think that they are inherently inferior to solid state? OK, don't care about that either.

What isn't ok is your attitude. Yeah - you are youngish (though not as young as when you joined this place..hint hint) but that is no excuse for bad manners. Your references to age and "old guys" are offensive and immature. One of the things you will learn as you "season" is how to effectively make your point without coming off as a jerk. Unless that was your intention. Was that your point? To get a rise out of the "old" crew? Is it really "entertainment" to phrase your posts in a way that intentionally offend?

Kevin - 32 and not getting younger

I have no idea and never will because I am a simple listener.

What isn't ok is your attitude. Yeah - you are youngish (though not as young as when you joined this place..hint hint) but that is no excuse for bad manners. Your references to age and "old guys" are offensive and immature. One of the things you will learn as you "season" is how to effectively make your point without coming off as a jerk. Unless that was your intention. Was that your point? To get a rise out of the "old" crew? Is it really "entertainment" to phrase your posts in a way that intentionally offend?

Well I must agree with the first statement...

What is amazing is that all of you who are soooo offended by being referred to as "old guys", despite the fact that relatively speaking, you ARE (and if you have trouble with that, get counseling!), seem to have NO problem with repeatedly telling Doc just how young and inexperienced he is! If being chronologically older indeed implies wisdom, then that reference is the best rebuttal to the "old guys' reference, as many of you in regards to wisdom, regardless of age, can rightfully claim to be babes.

The irony is that I know exactly how he uses the term, When we speak it has become somewhat of a routine to be playfully referred to as an "old guy" (although I must admit to much preferring "old fart"! ), and I often refer to him as a (fill in the blank) "college kid". And its all meant tongue in cheek and with a BIG grin. Offensive? Give me a break! It's complete jest!

You sanctimonious @ssholes kill me. There, how's that?[:|][:P]

Perhaps my reference to some of you being 'sanctimonious' will deflect some of the 'age' issue a bit! And while the age issue is really a non-starter, the broader issue of sanctimonious ignorance unfortunately is not.

But its great to admit to being willfully ignorant. And most pull this off gracefully, making it look almost effortless!

But the fact that some strive to achieve a greater understanding and that this causes others so much consternation is rather amazing. My guess is that in this relatively short time, he has endeavored to ask and to explore more ideas than many of you have attempted in your entire life - or will in your entire lifetime! And if this endeavor is so abhorant to so many, why in the hell do you even post when you admittedly have little understanding to that which is being referred, except to indicate your self-righteous moral outrage based upon your self-professed ignorance!? As while some of you may not be chronologically "old", mentally you are long past the glimmer of any creative prime that may have once existed.

Just lean back, scratch strategically, and resume taking your nap. And what really takes skill, is that so many do not need to even close their eyes!

What a bunch of farts... (How's that for appealing to your warm and fuzzy sides - and no, I am not referring to your ears, backs and posteriors!)

I have no idea and never will because I am a simple listener.

Well I must agree with the first statement...

What is amazing is that all of you who are soooo offended by being referred to as "old guys", despite the fact that relatively speaking you ARE (and if you have trouble with that, get counseling!), seem to have NO problem with repeatedly telling Doc just how young and inexperienced he is! If being chronologically older indeed implies wisdom, then that reference is the best rebuttal to the "old guys' reference, as many of you based upon that reference, regardless of age, can rightfully claim to be babes.

The irony is that I know exactly how he uses the term, When we speak it has become somewhat of a routine to be playfully referred to as an "old guy" (although I must admit to much preferring "old fart"! ), and I often refer to him as a (fill in the blank) "college kid". And its all meant tongue in cheek and with a BIG grin. Offensive? Give me a break! It's complete jest!

You sanctimonious @ssholes kill me. There, how's that?[:|][:P]

Perhaps my reference to some of you being 'sanctimonious' will deflect some of the 'age' issue a bit! And while the age issue is really a non-starter, the broader issue of sanctimonious ignorance unfortunately is not.

But its great to admit to being willfully ignorant. And most pull this off gracefully, making it look almost effortless!

But the fact that some strive to achieve a greater understanding and that this causes others so much consternation is rather amazing. My guess is that in this relatively short time, that he has endeavored to ask and to explore more ideas than many of you have attempted in your entire life - or will in your entire lifetime! And if this endeavor is so abhorant to so many, why in the hell do you even post when you admittedly have little understanding to that which is being referred, except to indicate your self-righteous moral outrage based upon your self-professed ignorance!? As while some of you may not be chronologically "old", mentally you are long past the glimmer of any creative prime that may have once existed.

Just lean back, scratch strategically, and resume taking your nap. And what really takes skill, is that so many do not need to even close their eyes!

What a bunch of farts... (How's that for appealing to your warm and fuzzy sides - and no, I am not referring to your ears, backs and posteriors!)

Let me put it more simply, mas, since you seemed to miss my point (how about that for ironic). I don't share your view that Who's reference to old is either innocent or a joke.

With respect to your witty edit of my post and selective agreement, I find that, unlike Who who can at least rely on the excuse of being too young to know better (ooh it kills me), you are an a$s. [:D] How's that? [:|][:P]

I just take in stride with the rest of your views, you old fart...or in this case, you ignort yungin'.

And on a more serious note, if you are only ~10 years older than Doc and you seriously have a problem with folks being referred to as "old", you have real issues. Seek counseling.

I'm not one to tell you what to do or what to think. You might know what your talking about or you might hear something in class and run back to the forum to type it in. I have no idea and never will because I am a simple listener. I just want things to sound good and have no inclination to figure out the technical aspects of 85% (that is an estimate for you engineering folk!) of what is going on with my gear. You want to listen to your stereo with measuring gear. Hey - that's cool. Have at it. If you are doing something you enjoy that is all that counts. You like solid state, that's great too. Hate tubes? Sure - go ahead. Think that they are inherently inferior to solid state? OK, don't care about that either.

Good grief Kevin!

I have met Mike, and although I don't know him well, I do know him well enough to say that if he had a real prob with "we the gray" he would not post it here. It would be interesting to know the average age of forum members, but I would guess it to be early to mid 40's. Mid 40's only because BEC skews the numbers on the high end.[:D] See what I mean? Bob and I have been going back and forth for some years. He ribbs me about being 5'7", and bald, I rib him about being old as dirt. It's just a guy thing. Kind of locker-room stuff for lack of better words.

I replyed to Who's words referring to his (perceived) lack of experience with women. You know, the "old bull", "young bull" joke. That was what it was. A joke. He did not offend me. He knows that this old man could jam that "brown belt" up his...........................[;)] Just a guy thing. smile

If you, me, or anyone else disagrees with his tech comments, or is offended by them, so be it. We "the gray" don't require your defense. Hell, BEC has grand children older than you.[:D]

Dr. Who is not "politicly correct"? OMG, how refreshing!!!!!!! As with all of us, we should consider the body of a statement (right or wrong) and disregard the rest.

Regards,

Terry

Edit: Missed the other posts while typing this one. No sure that I completely understand. But.... Example: After seeing an elderly man in a sport car, many say "mid-life crazy". The ansewer for most is that they just couldn't afford it in early life. So is it possable that some here (the elderly with deep pockets) only want to learn enough about audio to build a great room and put great gear in it, and that they could care less about designing a preamp or a horn loaded bass bin? Just a thought.

I just take in stride with the rest of your views, you old fart...or in this case, you ignort yungin'.

And on a more serious note, if you are only ~10 years older than Doc and you seriously have a problem with folks being referred to as "old", you have real issues. Seek counseling.

Oh you had to go and edit the post. Now I'm having an identity crisis. I don't know which group I'm in.

Come on guys, I have corresponded with Dr Who enough to know the "seasoned age" reference was purely jest & an attempt to merely talk about maturation as we continue to age through natural life processes. Where's your sense of humor. I know at 44 my hearing has worsened over time.

As for his audio opinions/theories have at him. [:P]

Oh you had to go and edit the post. Now I'm having an identity crisis. I don't know which group I'm in.

I guess you just have to go with whatever that gaggle of voices in your head tells you.

Boy, don't you just like to swoop in for the kill if you perceive a gang's on your side huh? Not sure you're qualified as the 'rude police'. Pot calling kettle IMO.

Apart from distortion characteristics (since those have been beat to death), what are the other factors?

Slew rate.

Thanks - sounds like I've got a bit more reading to do.
No, not really Doc. Just more listening. You can't explain everything you hear, hear well or don't hear at all. Now, if you could ever just tell me what treatments I need for that "Slap Ecco" (sp) bay area. What do I need?

I'm confused - are you saying slew rate doesn't matter?

As far as that pingy slapback action - I think a few absorption type panels going along the sides of the parallel walls surrounding the couch would be a good start. Go as thick as you can (like no less than 4" if it'll fit). I'm not exactly sure what kind of aesthetics you're aiming for, but you might consider throwing a heavy curtain that wraps around back there or something crazy like that - it would probably help to cover up that window and the folded shape of the heavy curtain will do a little diffusion as well (provided it's heavy enough - none of this lace stuff...). It would probably also help to throw some stuff along that front wall too, but diffusion is probably the better route there. The absence of side walls will kinda be working to your advantage, but there's some chance that the room is coming back at the listening position all weird too (something easily verified with a few measurements). I suppose it sounds like a lot of work, but it could be done way overkill for under $500. You can work your way down from that to fit a price range and aesthetic impact that you desire.

I'll get my wife on that heavy curtain[;)]. I could handle the foam on the side walls. Thanks

BS

who gives a crap about slew rates?

BS

Todd, You have a PM.

tc

did somebody say .......SET ...???

Duke now you've gone and done it! Where will this madness end????

mike tn[:D]

6L6s RULE!

I enjoy being an old fart. I know all the lingo from several generations. Any intelligent, humble man knows he was quite the fool in his twenties.

Kicks reading the FWHOOLS one encounters.

It is the irritation of dealing with them in close spacial proximity that is unpleasant. Thoughts from the jet lag recovery zone...