Would you buy a set of speakers if....

DarkIrish

Here's the question that I have been pondering. I can buy a brand new, in the box set of speakers, originally priced $1100 for $450. The store is closing, so all sales are final.

The speakers are 4ohm and I, more than likely, will not be able to power them efficiently. I do have a stereo set up powered by a Sony DB840 that is currently hooked up to a set of Paradigm Mk9s that are 6ohm.

What would you do?

Jeff

Well, that's a pretty good deal if you're in the market for Polk. Just looking for something different than the Paradigms and at a savings, even a good savings, in my calculus, is not a winner.

If price is a consideration, (it is for me) my best advice would be to bank the bucks and wait to see what comes up next. Making this purchase now could hurt your effort if something really good comes up six months from now. My guess is you'd take a bath even if you tried to sell them on the used market to recover your investment.

I'm sorry to say I haven't heard either the Paradigms or the Polks, so I wouldn't have an opinion as to whether the Polks are really a step up or not. It would be a little pricey for a lateral move.

OK Dad Mode: OFF

Let me do the appropriate thing expected from a Klipsch enthusiast and recommend that you listen to the speakers and determine if you think they are worth the price. But you'd need to compare them to the value of some 700 dollar used cornwalls.

If I were you, I'd pick up used cornwalls and live absolutely wonderfully ever after.

For that matter, everyone in the US should pick up used (or new) cornwalls and live absolutely wonderfully ever after.

You guys absolutely rock. I got exactly what I wanted. Great, logical opinions.

I have my Klipsch system upstairs, in my loft and the Frankenstein downstairs. The main reasons for the interest in the Lsi9's were two fold. First was "perceived" bang for the buck. At 55%ish off, this speaker seemed like a bargain. Second, it was a bit of a downsizing from the Paradigm mini-coffins. For that room and price point, a better comparison may be RB-61's. I was hypnotized by the savings. [*-)] I guess this is why dollar stores do so well. It's all about the savings, not always the product.

I am sure the Cornwalls rock, but I think I am patching the burnt hole in my pocket.

I wonder if I would have gotten the same replies if I was asking about a pair of Bose bookshelfs......

Do I need these? Absolutely not.

I agree with [most] everyone else... $450 would go a long way toward some mighty nice Cornwalls!

Cheers,

Rob

OR Heresy's.............Forte's if your lucky..........Cornwalls are the best Dollar for Dollar speaker you could buy......NO POLK's, you'll be sorry you if didn't get Klipsch................

Late to the party...

It is a matter of taste,I would say the Polk Audio they sell for $450 is worth it. Some will prefer the sound of Klipsch,others the Polk Audio. I would listen and decide myself(this case you decide with the ears you call your own). [;)]

I have Klipsch,I have Dynaudio and for some applications Klipsch does better in others my Dynes clear winners to my ears.

The Lsi9 has a very smooth laid back kind of sound, but it's very open sounding. They were very well reviewed and some consider it to be one the best speakers to ever come from Polk. I liked them when I heard them, but once your ears get used to the dynamics that come from horns, most everything else ends up boring you to tears after a while.

When I had listened to them, I thought they sounded very nice. It had nice mids and the tweeter seemed to be the best part of the speaker. The price was great.

The Lsi9 would have gone downstairs, where the room, in my opinion, is a bit of a nightmare. The room has a piano in it, hardwood floors on top of a slab, a stone fireplace that is about 17 ft high and the current speakers are in a corner "across" from a picture window. The ceilings in that room are approx. 22ft. with a vaulted ceiling and this opens to the loft. The paradigms I have in it now over power the room and I would say, the sound is better when listened to, from other rooms in the house than actually in that room. My Klipsch system is upstairs in the loft where the room acoustics are much more reasonable.

I was fishing for opinions from "The Klipsch Posse" because the transaction would be an "All Sales Final" and I couldn't bring the speakers home to audition them in my house.

And matter of fact, this is the store where I bought my RF3II's and have thoroughly loved them to pieces. This store had a "trade-up" speaker program and when they lost their Klipsch account and discounted all of their Klipsch products I was going to buy a set of RF5's as opposed to trading up, but the store employees bought ALL of their RF5's and 7's.

Too much information, I am sure, but that's the way I was weighing out my consideration.

Jeff

When I had listened to them, I thought they sounded very nice. It had nice mids and the tweeter seemed to be the best part of the speaker. The price was great.

Sounds like you made up your mind, buy them. Worse case is you could sell them at a later date with little or no loss.

Good luck