Just in - Review of RSW-15, SVS Ultra & HGS 18

kleggatt

Good post Tom.

A Forum gets to speak his views.

If you have owned Klipsch and Klipsch is somewhat

indirectly responsible for the existence of SVS,

then that makes SVS a little part of the Klipsch

family in a teeny way.

I would see Tom as a full fledged member, in this case.

And he has the right to voice his opinions as

any other board member, unprofessional or not.

SVS works over the Internet, You can't call and

order,and I don't think they do magazine advertising.

So these various Forums on the Net are SVS's

bread and butter.

And if these Forums frown on Advertising, wouldn't

you think that SVS would have addressed the situations

accordingly, before they jump on the Forum?

Klipsch would have booted Tom long ago, if they

felt he was 'selling' over the forums.

Bummer Tom, My NAD 2100 power amp has a bad cap.

My 16/46's are ornaments until I get a service manual

and fix it.Frown.gif

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!Smile.gifHat.gifHat.gifHat.gifSmile.gif

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

h2xmark,

the stryke cube was measured by TN a while back,with TN's own 5 kilowatt Crown amp...

Compared to our OLD 20-39cs/fidek 600w combo...the stryke was(max output)

20hz/+5

25hz/-5.8dB

31hz/-1.9dB

25-63hz average/-0.2dB.

So our old dual 20-39/fidek package pretty much ran even with the Stryke cube and 5000w.

A CS_Ultra package would have about the same clean output capabilities as approx 2-3 of these cubes I'm guessing.(since the CS_Ultras are a good 6-7dB more powerful than the current 20-39s...which are about 2-3dB more powerful than the old style ones TN measured way back when).

Those stryke cubes are great woofage though...so it's nice to even be in the same ballpark considering it's mainly a *DIY* kit.

TV

Neutral Guy -

I think that the feelings of most of us here on the board can be summed up by the by the following comments from one of the moderators:

quote:

Originally posted by BobG:

.....This sort of lively interchange is precisely why we at Klipsch like the bulletin board. Its a very open forum filled with great information for all who participate. Also, Klipsch is quite pleased that Brian Weatherhead found the RSW-15 to be a very musical sounding......

Tom is more than capable of defending himself but from my time here on this board I find that Tom doesn't push SVS. In fact there are many posts where he recommends other products. He doesn't bring up SVS unless someone else does first.

In regards to selling anything to "theEARS" again if you had done some searches you would see that there are lots of natured running discussions between the two of them and there is quite a to of information that can be gained by reading the posts.

Additionally I believe that Tom owns KLF-30's as his main speakers which means that he has just as much of a right to be here as I do or anyone else.

Thankfully Klipsch seems to have a much more open mind then you do.

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 12-29-2001 at 07:48 PM

Wow. Klipsch speakers caused TV to create SVS. That's cool.

As far as I'm concerned the simple fact that TV owns Klipsch speakers gives him the right to be here. If Klipsch doesn't like what he says then rest assured, Klipsch will let him know. It hasn't happened yet and I suspect that it won't anytime soon.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

TV:

I just wanted to post a quick follow-up message.

I didn't mean any personal offense by my last post. I just felt strongly about it, and I wanted to state my opinion (for what it was worth).

The truth is I enjoy reading your posts also, and I have found them informative. I guess I am a Klipsch loyalist, and I felt that they were getting a raw deal.

I understand that there are other viewpoints, though... And since Klipsch is OK with it, then I'm OK it with it also.

So I would like to offer my apology.

I hope that you have a happy new year.

NG

Next I'll be scooping the whole SVS lineup.I like the idea of passive subs,so I can use my monster amps on them. Smile.gif

On my short list for next year are...

SVS SS(take a look at the driver,the competition better hide under a rock in a cave LOL)

SVS Ultra(the current top dog under 3 grand)

SVS CS-Plus(looks like a HSU hunter killer sub Wink.gif )

This combined with my Klipsch Reference speakers all around should recreate the ultimate HT experience at home(beat all theaters in sound quality and output).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

If anybody would like to do a bit of research on nodal patterns and in-room standing waves; check this link: http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/Loudspeakers%20and%20Rooms%20-%20Working%20Together.pdf

The paper is written by Dr. Floyd Toole, VP of Acoustical Engineering at Harman Intl. It's a good primer on speaker placement and the effect of the listening room.

TV,

Or anyone else who might know,

I just found a DIY project written by RS where he credits you for design assistance for what amounts to a CS20-23. The enclosure is 24 inches around instead of 16 which makes it a little less attractive but regardless, it apparently is the first of the 'SVS' subwoofers. It also mentions being a derivative of the HSU 12Va.

Ron steps the reader through the entire build process, provides a parts and suppliers list, and specifies you can build this sub for less than $200. In fact, he mentions building two subs and powering them for less than $600.

I had looked at getting dual CS20-39's @ 1199 or waiting for the CS+. Please tell me why building the kit according to Ron's plans (changing the tube diameter and height, of course) would not give me the same performance as the official SVS product? If it basically boils down to 'we build it' vs. 'you build it', I would find it real difficult to justify an additional $600 bucks.

To summarize my question: Why would I buy a SVS branded sub rather than build it according to SVS' project plans?

Thanks and I look forward to your response - I really don't want to get the woodworking tools out. ;-)

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200