Best integrated amp for Heresy IIIs?

Last week when I picked up my new Heresy III I had the opportunity to listen to them connected to a Cayin A88T tube amp and a Cayin CDT-17A tube CD player. To my amazement these H III sounded totally different to when I had them hooked up to my Denon 5803. It sounded like there were Subs in the room, I couldn't believe the depth and loudness of the bass, neither could the store manager. The sound was floor to ceiling and wider than the room with absolute detail and you couldn't detect where the speakers were placed.

ATM I have them hooked up to a Onkyo SR701 and they sound good but nothing like when they were connected to the Cayin tubes.

I didn't play any heavy metal so I can't comment on that.

So it looks like its tubes for me in the near future. Is anybody on the forum using Cayin amps or CDP?

Regards Skeg.

I think that's the setup we've been using on the 60th Anniversary Khorns. Have to check.

Last week when I picked up my new Heresy III I had the opportunity to listen to them connected to a Cayin A88T tube amp and a Cayin CDT-17A tube CD player. To my amazement these H III sounded totally different to when I had them hooked up to my Denon 5803. It sounded like there were Subs in the room, I couldn't believe the depth and loudness of the bass, neither could the store manager. The sound was floor to ceiling and wider than the room with absolute detail and you couldn't detect where the speakers were placed.

ATM I have them hooked up to a Onkyo SR701 and they sound good but nothing like when they were connected to the Cayin tubes.

I didn't play any heavy metal so I can't comment on that.

So it looks like its tubes for me in the near future. Is anybody on the forum using Cayin amps or CDP?

Regards Skeg.

I've been doing a lot of online research, and it seems the H3 and Cayin combo is a good sounding combo - good synergy. I am especially happy to hear about the good bass the Cayin integrated brought to the H3, since the Heresy has always been known to lack good bass. Maybe this incarnation of the Heresy is indeed a different beast.

If anything, a good tube set up would do metal fine, as long as there's enough power. That's why I would not look for a tiny SET amp. Most of the metal I listen to these days would be considered progressive metal, stuff like Dream Theater or Porcupine Tree. "Grown-up metal?"

Thanks for the great post!

Your an _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thanks, I work hard at it.

If someone made a 10 wpc amplifier recommendation to listen to heavy metal on Klipschorns you'd go through the ceiling, but you'll recommend 25 wpc for the same music on a set of Heresys. Want to guess which set up will play 100dB cleanly and which won't? To get that with his H III's he'll need at least 40 wpc. Why not recommend your stereo amp? Look at the prices of the things he's considering!

Your an _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thanks, I work hard at it.

If someone made a 10 wpc amplifier recommendation to listen to heavy metal on Klipschorns you'd go through the ceiling, but you'll recommend 25 wpc for the same music on a set of Heresys. Want to guess which set up will play 100dB cleanly and which won't? To get that with his H III's he'll need at least 40 wpc. Why not recommend your stereo amp? Look at the prices of the things he's considering!

Actually moron I missed the heavy metal statement but regardless I was giving a recommendation from actual experience with Heresy speakers and rock and roll music. My main system used to consist of Heresy speakers and I still have heresy's in fact they are in my second system now and they are not the best speaker to listen at higher SPL so its not going to mater how much power he has !!!! They become biting with any power amplifier once you reach much over 100db in the small room. I used the combo that I suggested back when my main listen genre of music was mild to hard rock with GREAT SUCCESS!!

You have no clue what your talking about anymore and its a gosh darn shame.

Craig

I'd be careful with those Cayin amps. Read this customer feedback from Audioclassics especially the parts I made bold then I'm going to explain what he is hearing.

Feedback: Re PMC DB1+ & Cayin A70T: Well, it has been about 2 weeks since I installed my new amp and speakers. At first I must admit I was sort of disappointed. For the first 1/2 hour I thought oh god I just bought a 2.5 thousand dollar Kraco. Apparently tubes take a while to warm up / break in or something?.... It took me a while to "settle in" to the music to actually realize just how clear it was. Very enjoyable! ANY defect in recording is illuminated with a big bright flashlight with this system. As if the speakers shine a light on it and say 'look, there it is, there is the recording flaw!" .... Wow! The sound stage is amazing! The thing that most impressed me was the way the system reproduces voice. It is if the person is standing in front of you singing. Thank you for you input and help on this. It is a fine system. I am very happy with it. R.P., WA.

These Cayin amps have a very rough HF response that is induced from the less the stellar output transformers. Usually most of the flaws in recording are in the mid and HF frequencies and amps like this have defencies of their own in those frequencies which magnifies the problem from the recording. The only cure is to roll off the upper mids and HF or you end up with many of your heavy metal recording very hard to listen too! I have some mods for the Cayins that will help roll those frequencies off so if you decide to buy it anyway just get ahold of me and I can walk you through the fix. Pretty simple to do but it will require entry level soldering skills its also easily reversible.

Bottom Line..................The Best amp is what the owner Buys..............Heresy III's sound real good, but a SUB wouldn't hurt them........

Nope, I am not buying a sub. Maybe if I had a cheap Axiom or Polk set-up (nothing against those two companies, BTW).

Bottom Line..................The Best amp is what the owner Buys..............Heresy III's sound real good, but a SUB wouldn't hurt them........

Nope, I am not buying a sub. Maybe if I had a cheap Axiom or Polk set-up (nothing against those two companies, BTW).

Good I'm glad, don't want too many people knowing how good a sub sounds with them................The Heresy III is a fine speaker, and doesn't need one if your running tubes..................SS, you'll decide for yourself............

Hey Craig,

Is there such a thing as a VRD integrated amp?

I thought you made only power amps?

Nope sorry I haven't messed with that yet and not sure I ever will I personally prefer what an active preamp brings to the table. My amps can already be used with any passive preamp which is exactly what amps like the Cayin or similar have to offer (basic power amps with a source selector switch and volume control). I've rolled arounf the idea of producing a matching passive to go with my amps but honestly will most likely release a full function active tube preamp first. If I could just find the time and money to invest in all I want to do life would be a dream.

Craig