Britain's Got Talent - WOW

wuzzzer

It warms my heart to hear some little guy in the back room break out in a huge way like that. Incredible voice. The difference between his first audition in a T-shirt to the final Tuxedo perfomance says they knew they had a winner built in. Look at the crowd reaction the second time....what anticipation. Not as bad as the Beatles live with screaming girls where you coudn't hear the music, but similar in a way.

We shall see if he wins the finals and if he does, how they will "package him for profit."

Is it possible to hear something that beautiful and not weep with joy that the human voice can be so emotive?

That young man just made an opera fan out of an old rocker.

I need some music like this in my collection, suggestions please? There is something youthful and pensive in this strong voice that I don't believe I've heard in my short glimpses into the current 'greats'. What quality is this in this mans voice that is so endearing? Or is it just that it comes so totally unexpected given the surrounding?

Bravo and thanks for posting.

M

That was very entertaining. It prompted me to learn more about the competition. Links to an article about the competition and links to the performances in the finals follow.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=462676&in_page_id=1773 article about the finals

Paul Potts

Connie Talbot

Bessie Cursons

Damon Scott

Bar Wizards

Kombat Breakers

announcement of winner

What quality is this in this mans voice that

is so endearing? Or is it just that it comes so totally unexpected

given the surrounding?

I've got two theories:

First, I agree that it is a bit unexpected considering the surrounding

and you never hear cheering going on during the singing of normal

opera. I think that aspect alone gave it a very difference character

than what may associate with opera.

My second theory is going to be a bit less popular with any of the

die-hard classical/opera crowd, but it is something I feel very

passionately about so I'll go ahead and stick my neck out. Ultimately,

I don't think you can have 'true music' without expressing emotion and

striving to evoke a response in the audience. Especially in the opera

world, I find that the performers get way too wrapped up in the

technical mastering of the music, but fail to be in a state of

expressing emotion. Sure, they might be evoking emotion in the

audience, but the performance itself is lacking that extra emotional

impact of the actual performer. Taking it to its extreme, I would much

rather listen to a middle school orchestra where the kids are enwrapped

with emotion, throwing technical mastery to the wind, yet also evoking

a very strong emotional response in the crowd, than to listen to any of

the so-called great opera singers of the world perfectly perform the

most complicated of passages. I have experienced first hand watching a

very dear friend of the family go from great emotional expression to

technically mastery as he ever strives moving to the top of the opera

circles. Singing as a back up singer to Pavarotti, I think it fair to

say that he is of a very high professional caliber. However, I very

much preferred listening to him sing many years ago when his motives

were obviously entirely based on emotional expression and his technical

abilities far lacking. In the professional opera world, I would be cast

out for making such claims, which is probably why I don't prefer to

associate with that crowd.

I would welcome some comments about this crazy view of mine as I find

it a very difficult idea to present. It's taken me months to convey

some of these thoughts to my parents (both are trained musicians), so I

fear some level of miscommunication (especially considering that

writing is not my forte).

Anyways, I think the reason that guy was so cool was because he came

across as sincere in his performance. He didn't convey that he was

striving for technical mastery, but rather he was singing to the crowd

- helping them connect with the emotion of the pieces he was singing.

So while I can appreciate what it takes to achieve technical mastery

(which I think is what a lot of people enjoy), I personally would

prefer to listen to something that engages me as the listener.

Otherwise I would just prefer to listen to a robot...

My second theory is going to be a bit less popular with any of the die-hard classical/opera crowd, but it is something I feel very passionately about so I'll go ahead and stick my neck out. Ultimately, I don't think you can have 'true music' without expressing emotion and striving to evoke a response in the audience.

1. Agree completely about the emotion part. Thats exactly why the joe satriani - steve vai -et al-technical exercise crowd bores me to tears.

2. Disagree about opera, well most any way. No song hits me in the gut like Anna Moffo singing Baillero. I don't think Opera is worse than other genres in that regard.

I don't think Opera is worse than other genres in that regard.

I didn't mean to imply that at all - rather that the diehard classical/opera fanatics tend to enjoy the technical aspects and thus usually don't agree when I start naming specific recordings. I can't help but wonder if some of that has to do with the technical focus offered by many classical music programs. I didn't mean to single out classical though. It happens all over the place. Heck, in some other culteres, technical mastery is the only thing that matters [:o]

I didn't mean to imply that at all - rather that the diehard classical/opera fanatics tend to enjoy the technical aspects and thus usually don't agree when I start naming specific recordings.

They are out there. Next time tell them that Kempff was a superior interpreter of Beethoven than Horowitz. Then run.

I can't help but wonder if some of that has to do with the technical focus offered by many classical music programs.

That or they grew up listening to Jascha Heifetz.*

Heck, in some other culteres, technical mastery is the only thing that matters [:o]

I don't understand that at all. People always talk about jazz or blues or rock having soul. There certainly is a place for it in classical and opera too.

*Before anybody freaks, I love Heifetz.

Doc said,,,"I would welcome some comments about this crazy view of mine as I find it a very difficult idea to present. It's taken me months to convey some of these thoughts to my parents (both are trained musicians), so I fear some level of miscommunication (especially considering that writing is not my forte)."

I was lucky to know some boundries to my own voice early. I studdied at Indiana University school of music which is in the top 5- 10 in the country, I sang in a opera chorus sang in musicals in HS and in college had some leads as well. (How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying.) As my own journey to "find my own voice." I discovered some great things, some not so good things, and while not sounding egotistical... I learned to enjoy my voice all over again. For what it is worth.... men, in particular, do not fully develop their voices till their late 20's early 30's... Females late teens to 20's..

I do feel, however, some things are true..

Everyone can sing

As humans, most of us have been blessed with a voice

One which allows us to communicate and laugh and cry

And sing

But we are taught that certain people are special

And deserve the right to sing because their voice is better

Or prettier

And we support those elite few by giving them money

And singing along with them in our cars

Or our showers

Or sometimes walking down the street

Because we are moved by them

Until we catch the next car over staring

And having been caught

Silence ourselves

Now I'm not saying there isn't brilliance of talent in the universe

Artists

Voices that can touch millions and move us to sing along in our cars

Or our showers

All I'm saying is we each have an inherent need for self expression

And insecurity and fear and this elitist mentality

Prevent us every day from discovering the great works of art

That are most definitely hiding within

With a little luck

Some humor

A smart-*** KJ

And maybe a wee bit of alcohol

Together we can create a non-threatening environment

Where we can all feel comfortable enough

To find our own voice.

Thats the "community of karaoke" now in my 40's, I have re found.

The best opera singers of our day are not technically correct. Pvaratti, (Who does not read music BTW) Bochelli give us emotion. Even a Josh Groban will outsell and outperform to Millions with a wider following than whoever is the principle at the Metropolitan Opera.

For myself I wanted a pop voice rather than get too classically trained. I doubt I could of devoted 100 years to sound liek a great 10+++ Opera singer.. I was much happier being able to sound like some of my heros.. with good foundation of breath, support, tone, and structure, dynamics, and feeling that emotion and conveying it to the audience. Rather than be all la la la la la la.... I am not full of myself.. we all have tallents too.. I just (still) love to sing. My band just happens to be on a disc... Life goes on. The best thing is my kids seem to also have this gift. It will be great to see how they turn out.

My 2 cents..

Pavaratti has emotion?!? That's what I mean....nobody gets where I'm coming from [:P] Of course, I wasn't around when he started so maybe he had it at the beginning.

I understand. When I see those PBS shows of opera they are technically masterful, but mostly fail to elicit a response from me like this little blurb did. Perhaps it's my naivitee of the art form. Like Steve Vai on guitar vs Ritchie Blackmore. One is more technically proficient, one hits my HEART

I can't calculate emotional response it just happens.

Like standing in field last summer with an enormous pig flying overhead, listening to Roger Waters singing 'BRING THE BOYS BACK HOME' in the most emotive and tortured cry I have ever heard and turning around and watching tears flowing down everyone's cheeks.

Sometimes music is just magical. That's the fun of it.

Michael

To watch him with the right work before him yes Mike. But opera has not really been a relative alternative in USA culture since maybe the 50's... Yet, if you follow the stories of Carmen, etc they are filled with love, lies, cheating, sex, and all kinds of gratuitous themes.. LOL. Pavarattis last emotional performanceIMO ? A few years back doing the three tenors.. When he was almost arguably out shown! This guy, with a little more training, (but also keeping it from the heart) could go on to HUGE success.... Cherry picking his way to stardome.