Edgar Winter's Frankenstein: the Origin

Islander

Just found this and thought I'd share it:

This is one of the most famous instrumental Rock songs. It got its title because of the intense editing that went into the song; it became a monster when it was pieced together in the studio. Says Winter: "When we were editing it in the studio, back in those days when you edited something, you physically had to cut the tape and splice it back together, so it was all over the control room, draped over the backs of chairs and the couch. We were making fun of it, trying to figure out how to put it back together, saying 'Here's the main body; the leg bone's connected to the thigh bone ... ' Then Chuck Ruff, my drummer, says, 'Wow, man, it's like Frankenstein.' As soon as I heard that, I went, 'Wow, that's it!' The monster was born." (thanks, Mike - Mountlake Terrace, WA. U.S.A)

This was edited down to a manageable single in a long, arduous process. Edgar had band members perform over and over in an attempt to get it right.

This wasn't supposed to be the single. It was originally released as the B-side of a song called "Hangin' Around." The sides were flipped when disc jockeys realized this was the hit.

Roadwork/White Trash- a double LP with Edgar Winter, Jerry Lacroix, Rick Derringer and group. At one point Edgar steps up to the mic and says 'people keep asking me, uh, where's your brother?' to which the place erupts and Johnny joins in. One of my fave old LP's from high school days.

Frankenstein has been the ruination of many a fine tweeter. Just can't take those heavy synth hits.