I hardly ever listen to vinyl anymore

joshnich

"If you like the way it sounds that is what matters! " True Dat JBSL[;)]

I know Dave and you are a digital master out here but I just have this real hard head when it comes to digital. I know it's all that and the future of music really but old Dino's go down hard[:P]

I have considered getting a new 80GB pod and ripping evrything lossless which I assume will only get me 20GB of music on my pod if I'm lucky but it will probably still have digital skip/slip gone so maybe I should buy more albums and just be happy with my portable setup as is!

So the Rega Apollo is the Red-Book player of choice these days I see, it used to be the ARC CD 1, 2 or 3 now it is I beleive that was touted as the most analog sounding CDP. I have had my eye out on A-goN for a used BAT VK-D5 which I have heard and consider to sound very analog like but once again I just can't seem to tie analog sound in digital together[:(]

I don't have a turntable yet for my McIntosh vintage system, but it's my Ah! Tjoeb 4000 CD deck that keeps me from forcing the issue. I don't deny that the benefits in sonics of a good table would be an asset to my system, but I must say that there are some good CD machines out there that give good results. Tube buffering is the best thing to happen to the CD format, IMO. The Regas are quite good, too.

As far as Vinyl or CDs I say whatever floats your boat! If you like the way it sounds that is what matters!

I say that there is something else that matters besides if I like the way it sounds. There are people out there who like the whole package of vinyl releases. I like the big artwork. I like it when artists give us something extra that isn't included in the cd. I like the way records look framed and hanging on the wall. I like inserts and record sleeves with the lyrics printed on 'em. I like searching the runout grooves for messages from the artists. I like cds too but there is more to it than which format sounds best.

I am MOST DEFINITELY NOT saying CDs are as good as vinyl. What I apparently did a poor job of saying is CDs have gotten very acceptable. My going to CD is more a convenience thing. I'm busy. From early to late I always have more than enough to do. With the CDs I can take a couple of steps and more music is playing. The vinyl is used only when the day is over, the 6 year old is asleep, all the outside noises have subsided for the night. I can then relax and enjoy the music the way it sounds best to me. My choice is vinyl. CDs are right there, right now, with minimal hassle during a busy day. I'm listening to CDs now to a very large extent. Vinyl is going to stay in this system. Always. Unless tomorrow holds a better way. I watched a Sci-Fi flick not long ago with 3D holographic imagery with supposedly live sound. It may be the next step in the evolution. CD sound is getting extremely good.

Harry

Fully agree with you, Harry. Engineering techniques for CD production have definitely improved. I had a thread a few weeks back something to the effect of "CD's with the sound of real analog..." discussing the Gothic catalog and it's owner/chief engineer Roger Sherman. I just rec'd a couple of more of his CD's and they continue to amaze and delight with dang good sound.

I was analog, then all digital for a while in the early 80's until I began to quit listening. Then I got out my old TT and found out why. Then I WONDERED why "perfect sound forever" wasn't. Then I found out...it was the engineering, not the medium (though 16/44.1 is, in my opinion, inherently incapable of equaling a first rate analog sound).

Now I am both and jonesin' for a BluRay player/recorder that can handle multiple channels in any format up to 24/192 or every pop song ever recorded in freeze dried format (if that's your cup of tea).

We HAVE the technology.

Even with that, however, the vast majority of great performances will remain out of reach of music lovers who do not have a phono playback capability.

Dave

As far as Vinyl or CDs I say whatever floats your boat! If you like the way it sounds that is what matters!

I say that there is something else that matters besides if I like the way it sounds. There are people out there who like the whole package of vinyl releases. I like the big artwork. I like it when artists give us something extra that isn't included in the cd. I like the way records look framed and hanging on the wall. I like inserts and record sleeves with the lyrics printed on 'em. I like searching the runout grooves for messages from the artists. I like cds too but there is more to it than which format sounds best.

That is what I mean by "whatever floats your boat"

For you the extras that can come with vinyl add alot to the overall experience.