Considering Klipsch- what about Belles?

becseattle

Hello all,

I am considering playing around with some horns for a change. I was thinking of Forte I or II, but see some Belles locally (late 70's). I looked at the specs on this site, but I am confused. They are describes as having symphony-like bass response, but the -3db point is 54 Hz. What's the the story here? What are the thought of how speakers like Belles match up against Fortes (or Cornwalls).

Thanks,

Bruce

It depends on room size, listening levels, type of equipment, music pref.

In most cases, the Cornwalls would be the best value.

But from a dynamic range perspective...the Belle will win by a wide margin

Most folks inch their way up the Heritage line...if you have Belle's local, and they are at a decent price point (1200 - 1600), I would recommend you explore.

It depends on room size, listening levels, type of equipment, music pref.

In most cases, the Cornwalls would be the best value.

But from a dynamic range perspective...the Belle will win by a wide margin

Most folks inch their way up the Heritage line...if you have Belle's local, and they are at a decent price point (1200 - 1600), I would recommend you explore.

I love my Belles and I was going to sell them to move to khorns but I just can't let them go. I'll get khorns as well this year or next. I really enjoy the horn loaded bass and the crossover point for the bass bin is a little higher 500hz. They are one of the best looking of the klipsch speakers imo. That craftsman look is killer.

Going from Belle's to Khorn's gained me two things and they were immediately obvious.

1st was an immediate improvement in the low end bass response

2nd was the Klipschorn actually took up less floor space than the Belle that was a surprise

Love the looks of the Belle cabinet, actually bought another pair later on and used them as my side surrounds/rear effects speakers. I ended up replacing them with Heresy's because they took up too much floor space.

I think the Cornwall while not fully horn loaded has the closest overall response to the Klipschorn, if the Belle's are local and the price is right I would not hesitate but if you listen to classical or orchestral music better get a subwoofer because you will be missing the lower octaves of bass response.

Honest low end frequency specs can be a little confusing these days. Lots of people have come to expect to see a speaker spec claim it is flat down to 20 Hz. Even a $100 pair from Radio Shack will print that specification even though the woofer is only 6 inches across and the cabinet is only the volume of a pair of shoe boxes. From a music listening perspective flat frequency response is about fourth down on the list of things a speaker needs to do well after low distortion, high efficiency, and polar response (per Paul Klipsch). The frequency center of power in symphonic music is about 250Hz. Some modern music using electronic sub-bass instruments draw some to utilize sub-woofer systems to reproduce that sound.

Listening before purchase might relieve any apprehension about the Belles' low end sound.

Hope all goes well.

Going from Belle's to Khorn's gained me two things and they were immediately obvious.

1st was an immediate improvement in the low end bass response

2nd was the Klipschorn actually took up less floor space than the Belle that was a surprise

Love the looks of the Belle cabinet, actually bought another pair later on and used them as my side surrounds/rear effects speakers. I ended up replacing them with Heresy's because they took up too much floor space.

I think the Cornwall while not fully horn loaded has the closest overall response to the Klipschorn, if the Belle's are local and the price is right I would not hesitate but if you listen to classical or orchestral music better get a subwoofer because you will be missing the lower octaves of bass response.

I understand what you are saying especially with the space issue. The Khorns are very efficient users of space tucking into the corner so well. I just can't sell my Belles. I am greedy I want both..... Then eventually the culmination of PWKs lifes work the Jubilee.

Own Belles and Corns, Belles are my favorites hands down. Much more dynamic and detailed with superb and quick bass response. They will not go as low as the Corns but the bass is very accurate with zero bloat. I have found that the right front end equipment will have a major effect on bass response. With the right amps/preamps bass will be plenty deep, accurate and refined. To my ears the Belles are "live" whereas the Corns sound more like "speakers". Also owned Fortes 1 and 2's then on to Cornwalls. The Corns have a much, much bigger sound and sound stage than the Fortes and was my speaker of course - until I got my Belles. Then all the above grows bigger again, sound and sound stage. Oh, and what everyone else has said, there is nothing like the look of Belles, a true classic design and mine in oak/cane - oh my.

I'm lucky enough to own K-horns, Belles, and Cornwalls and my take is this:

To me, each of them have their own niche, so to speak.

I like how "Classical" music is represented through the K-Horns, more so than I do with the Cornwalls and Belles.

I like how the Cornwalls rock out and also how they handle a HT setup.

and I like how the The Belles handle "Female" vocals.

I would have to say that the Belle's are by far my least favorite BUT that's like having to say what is my least favorite cookie: Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter, or Oreo's. I like them all and in large doses!!

JMHO

JJ

Hello all,

I am considering playing around with some horns for a change. I was thinking of Forte I or II, but see some Belles locally (late 70's). I looked at the specs on this site, but I am confused. They are describes as having symphony-like bass response, but the -3db point is 54 Hz. What's the the story here? What are the thought of how speakers like Belles match up against Fortes (or Cornwalls).

Thanks,

Bruce

BUY THEM. BUY THEM, BUY THEM. Once their in your possession, PM me. I'll trade you a pair of Forte's and throw in that elusive ACademy, and maybe some cash or a child slave or something.

I've wanted a pair of Belle's ever since I unboxed my Chorus's and saw the front of the owners manual, way back in 1989. Man, that's 18 years ago already. I've still never seen/heard them in person yet. Man, Sucks to be me.

Welcome brother: Go and listen to the Belle's; if the price is right you will bring them home with you. Each of the Hertiage line has their own sound and look. I like the sound of them all its just the Belle's are unique in design and are getting harder to find. Later Bill

I own both Forte II's and Belles. My dad owns Khorns and I have heard <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cornwall I and II.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I agree with most of what these guys have posted. I may be in the minority here, but I prefer the Belle's tight, snappy crisp horn loaded bass as opposed to the Forte and Cornwalls deeper, albeit looser direct radiator bass. Each Heritage speaker has a role it does better than others, but you can't lose with any of them.

As far as music goes, I don't really miss any bass through my Belles in a 2 way set up. If you listen to Electronic, Rap/Hip Hop, Heavy Metal, full range symphonic music, or pipe organs you will miss out on the lowest bass. If you don't listen to that type of music regularly, you really don't miss out. If you listen to low-bass heavy music often, you will want to get a sub-woofer.

If you're going for a home theater set up, you will want a sub woofer to run with your Belle's for sure. I would want a sub-woofer with any speaker for home theater, though. This includes the Khorn and Cornwall.

In summary, I would buy the Belle especially if the price is right. You're going to have a hard time finding speakers with higher efficiency, better dynamics, and lower distortion. The sound stage is also large and live. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks to all for your very helpful answers. I currently use original Audio Physic Virgos, anything with horns will be a huge departure. I am going to go take a look at Belles.
I suppose there is likely to be a WAF issue with Belles, but first I have to see if I like them

Bruce

Hello all,

Thanks,

Bruce

If the Belles are late 1970s they would sound allot better with new capacitors in the networks.

I suppose there is likely to be a WAF issue with Belles, but first I have to see if I like them

Belles were introduced to address the WAF issues of La Scalas. They're prettier and don't extend into the room as far as Scalas do, while having comparable sound.