So, how about them VRD's??

Coytee

craig old buddy

i did not buy the ones off a-gon, i bought them from a individual that shall remain nameless unless he chooses to chime in, suffice to say they are all original and do great in the system now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i will say this the guy i bought them from upgraded to a 5000.00 set of amps

i am by no means an expert on anything audio, but to my ears and system the vrd's do as good or better in the bass department as the 150 watt hypex digital amp i have and they are definately quiter

Joe

I am the person that he worked out a deal with ,we made an agreement that worked out for both of us. I like the sound of the 2A3 tube ,always have always will ,so I acquired the sun audio amps from Joe. Do they sound better than the VRD's , yes ,for what I am looking for, as far as my personal taste in music . Do they do all things better than the VRD's - no. I am not that much of a bass "nut" , the VRD's are better in that area in my opinion. I do like super clear highs and mids and in my opinion the sun amps do this better than the VRDs,on much of the music Ilike to listen to. Once again it all comes down to personal taste , it is like ice cream , some like one flavor ,some like another . When I first bought the VRD's , I thought I made a big mistake , turned out to be a problem in a different area of my system . I went out and bought a highly regarded 45 tube set amp , and had that at the same time ,as the VRD's ,once I found the problem with the other piece of equipment , I returned the set amps ,for a loss of money . The ideal way to be able to tell if you really like something ,is to be able to try it at your home in your own system for a length of time. Outside of that ,you can get pointed in the right general direction ,by hearing a substantial amount of people comment on a given piece of equipment ,and them all liking it. Just my way of looking at things.

"The VRD and VRD-ST are both what I prefer on my horn speakers".

Hey Craig, What is the "ST". I hope it isn't something very obvious. I was checking out your site and didn't see different options (besides the cherry finish...very nice).

jc

JC,

Obvious??? Well kind of... ST stands for Stereo the actual full name is VRD-45-ST (45 watts stereo) and the original VRD is now VRD-60-M (60 watts monoblock). I've also cooked up a VRD-35-ST (Allan amplifier using 350B/6L6GC tube types) and a VRD-45-M or even VRD-35-M. All very nice amps IMHO. Later I'll be building a full function preamp. That is if I ever find time......

But heck they are all really just Dynaco's...............

Craig

Here is a photo of the VRD-45-ST in Maple

post-7461-13819338654708_thumb.jpg

craig old buddy

i did not buy the ones off a-gon, i bought them from a individual that shall remain nameless unless he chooses to chime in, suffice to say they are all original and do great in the system now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i will say this the guy i bought them from upgraded to a 5000.00 set of amps

i am by no means an expert on anything audio, but to my ears and system the vrd's do as good or better in the bass department as the 150 watt hypex digital amp i have and they are definately quiter

Joe

I am the person that he worked out a deal with ,we made an agreement that worked out for both of us. I like the sound of the 2A3 tube ,always have always will ,so I acquired the sun audio amps from Joe. Do they sound better than the VRD's , yes ,for what I am looking for, as far as my personal taste in music . Do they do all things better than the VRD's - no. I am not that much of a bass "nut" , the VRD's are better in that area in my opinion. I do like super clear highs and mids and in my opinion the sun amps do this better than the VRDs,on much of the music Ilike to listen to. Once again it all comes down to personal taste , it is like ice cream , some like one flavor ,some like another . When I first bought the VRD's , I thought I made a big mistake , turned out to be a problem in a different area of my system . I went out and bought a highly regarded 45 tube set amp , and had that at the same time ,as the VRD's ,once I found the problem with the other piece of equipment , I returned the set amps ,for a loss of money . The ideal way to be able to tell if you really like something ,is to be able to try it at your home in your own system for a length of time. Outside of that ,you can get pointed in the right general direction ,by hearing a substantial amount of people comment on a given piece of equipment ,and them all liking it. Just my way of looking at things.

I have no problem with this at all... I at least was able to turn you half way. You now have PP amps rather the SET LOL!! At least I hope my memory is serving me correctly and the Sun amps were like 10 watt per channel PP 2A3 amplifiers. I bet they are indeed nice amps.

Anarchist - I'd bet you money that if Craig indeed wanted to or did talk sh*t about someone..... 1) the person talked about would know/expect it cuz any disdain would've been in the open 2) would have been pre-talked about in the open on the forum. This is my theory. Kinda like how I called you an a**hole on the forum and also at the Fest. :) (that said, I found you pleasant enough in person)

I love it.

I know for a fact he wouldn't and I have been around here a whole lot longer than you have. In the two years you have been here, you don't know half of what has transpired on this board in the last 7 (not 5) years I have been here.

I don't worry about anyone calling me an a**hole... I consider the source and their motivation. You were alright, I guess. You turned me on to King Crimson.

One thing is for sure in the last 5 to 7 years. You have always been an *******. Now go ahead and consider the source.

"The VRD and VRD-ST are both what I prefer on my horn speakers".

Hey Craig, What is the "ST". I hope it isn't something very obvious. I was checking out your site and didn't see different options (besides the cherry finish...very nice).

jc

JC,

Obvious??? Well kind of... ST stands for Stereo the actual full name is VRD-45-ST (45 watts stereo) and the original VRD is now VRD-60-M (60 watts monoblock). I've also cooking up a VRD-35-ST (Allan amplifier using 350B/6L6GC tube types) and a VRD-45-M or even VRD-35-M. All very nice amps IMHO. Later I'll be building a full function preamp. That is if I ever find time......

But heck they are all really just Dynaco's...............

Craig

Here is a photo of the VRD-45-ST in Map

What? No plans for a VRD-3.5-M SET?

What? No plans for a VRD-3.5-M SET?

I only build quality amplifiers sorry ;) I may build a VRD-10-2A3-ST some day. An E will never go between the S and the T.

Honestly I have never heard a SET I prefer and I only build what I like. That's what makes this business enjoyable for me. I'll work on anything but as far as building I have my preferences.

Craig

I haven't lost any friends that I know of.................... you must now know who I categorize as a friend. While Dean and I may not be on the best terms these days I still consider him a friend and I hope he feels the same. I love the guy like a brother and have been just as upset with my blood brothers and sisters before and we have always worked it out. I'm sure your also referencing one other person I won't name but that person informed me that I was never his friend in the first place so it's pretty hard to lose something you never had in the first place.

Craig

Yeah - That's right you big sissy. AND I'm gonna take your girlfriend to prom.

Anarchist - Let's meet after homeroom and talk about jumping craig after school.

YEESH!! It's pretty obvious from Coyotee's last post that this thread was total BS to get a rise outta Craig, but come on fellas...this is getting sad.

Agreed. It was pretty obvious from the first post. This is even more ridiculous than Coyote's constant recommendations for Jubs for people on a $500 budget in a 12x12 room.

I concur.

At least the Parrot was a considerably more eloquent and intelligent troll in his day.

yes craig your memory does serve, (your not that old yet) the suns are a 2a3 pp design, the triode giving the best that set has to offer and pp design giving the bottom end, although the 10 wpc wont knock the bottom out of a speaker it does help pick up where set leaves off....................

joe

I have had my VRD's for almost 2 years now and absolutely love them. Craig has always been very prompt in returning emails, and was kind enough to spend the time on the phone to help me find a tube that went south. You just cannot get that kind of customer service anymore.

I might add that my son's piano teacher is a pretty darn famous conductor, he did some work for Frank Zappa and some of his students have gone on to be in some famous sympohonys and have also played on the Lord of the RIngs soundtracks. He recently came to my house and was immediately drawn to my music room (Khorns, BBX and VRD's). He is very familiar with the Khorns, and he went on to say that I have one of the finest audio systems he has heard. Now this genlteman knows music, and for him to lay down that kind of statement, to me is the ultimate compliment. I knew I would never part with them, and he just reinforced my take on my setup.

I didn't quite get through this thread yet, but Craig's been very helpful to me in puzzling out my oddball, non-VRD related problems here. Never really heard him bad mouth anyone or at least say anything beyond what he's said to a given person here to their face publicly. It would not surprise me one bit if he's cried on others shoulders about the grief I caused him and that's ok with me somehow. Know what I mean? I would trust him to work on any piece of gear to both do a good job and not rip me off. I trust his ethics there. IDK, but I appreciate types who get to the point and don't pussyfoot around and I think he's a 'good person'.

As far as VRDs, it's the only tube amp(s) I've had (besides a Scott) so I can't comment much on differences - just that I'm getting the best sound right now with them. Bass is wonderful and given the comments of great bass from others, I'd be real afraid to try anything else unless maybe in a biamp situation. I did have problems with them but it seems it pertained to my goofy house electrical and I don't really see anyone else who had the problem except for maybe Dean who also had goofy house electrical. I bought mine used also FWIW.

One thing is for sure in the last 5 to 7 years. You have always been an *******. Now go ahead and consider the source.

Why bother? I will just post your own thoughts...

I do realize I tend to over react... sorry its a character flaw that I actually have improved on by a huge margin.

Thanks for your opinion and help
Craig

I agree completely. But it doesn't change the fact that you spend enormous ammounts of time on and off the forum semi trashing me and my products. But it doesn't change the fact that you constantly try to push my hot button and then cry like a baby when you garnish the response you ABSOLUTELY KNOW YOU WILL GET.

You are exactly what your forum handle says. You love the attention good or bad.

Find a post where I trashed your products or trashed your workmanship. You can't. Indeed, you will find I frequently recommend you and your products provided the buyer is content to deal with a gruff, agressive and often contentious PITA.

You trash me constantly and claim I don't know what the hell I am talking about or make your claims about me personally. It matters not one iota. You know the truth and I know the truth. In case you have forgotten it, I would be more than happy to provide the posts which contradict your statements using your own statements. I don't forget. Then again, I don't hold a grudge nor do I revise history to suit me.

I am happy for your growth and I am more than happy for those who have bought VRD's and achieved the sonic nirvana they were looking to find. I am even happy for those people who are so mesmerized by your craft, they overlook your attacks and character flaws and rush in to defend you even if they only know half the story. Even Paris Hilton has her fans.