RF 7 vs RF-82

Youthman

• Moderators

I went yesterday to demo the 82's. When I got there, they had the RF 7 in the demo room but not the RF-82's. The dealer gave me the following quote on an 82 package.

RF-82, RC-62 and RS-52 for $1650 + tax.

RW-12d would be $529 + tax

He said he was running a special 25% off if I bought a complete 5 piece set.

I had him quote the RW-12d separate as I have heard great things about the SVS PB12/Plus2.

Few questions for everyone.

He said he got a real good deal on a bunch of RF-7's and they bought them all. He has two pair left. The did sound incredible with the RC-64 that I demo'd. I was truly blown away at the volume, clarity and beauty of the sound that these speakers created.

I believe he said the RF-7's were more than the 82's but not sure how much more. I'm thinking $1200 - $1400 for the pair. I think the RF-7's would be out of my budget but wanted to get some opinions on the difference between the 82's and the RF7's.

Is the price that he quoted me a good deal or just an ok deal? Do you think I could get them for less from him?

I'm really leaning towards the SVS sub.

... I believe he said the RF-82's were more than the 82's but not sure how much more. I'm thinking $1200 - $1400 for the pair...

Yo Youthman,

Please Edit your post, fix the typo you made (I quoted your typo above) and then it will be more easy for everybody to know exactly what you were trying to say.

I am sure folks having experience with the 2 types of RF's will chime in soon after (or even before -lol-)

~Noah

Klipsch themselves are selling new...might be "B" stock for that price...

Bill

they are considered b stock since it is against the law to sell any product as new even though the owner brought them, cut the tape and never played them. It does not mean something was inherently wrong like a refurbished unit but it more or less likely buyer remorse that made them b stock.

• Moderators

Two weeks ago, I had a chance to demo the RF-7's with the RC-7. I
was blown away. They were bright, loud and clear. Today I stopped by
Best Buy to check out the RF-82's for the first time. The 82's are more in line with my
budget. BB had it in a dedicated theater room about 18' x 25'. They
were using the RC-52. Surprisingly, they do not carry the RC-62 which
is the matching center for the 82's. The rears were the RS-42's. It was setup with the RW-12d. It
was hooked up to the Yamaha 2700. I told him I wanted to watch a movie
demo and to turn it up pretty loud. I noticed on the sub, it was turned almost all the way up. Frankly,
the RC-52 was most dissappointing (which I expected it would be). It
could not keep up with the 82's. The sub also was disappointing.
There was no WOW factor at all with that particular sub. For $700.00,
you would think that you would get a huge amount of clean bass. It was
just ok. The 82's sounded nice, but I wasn't as impressed with the
overall quality as much as I was the RF-7's. I then asked if he could
put in a concert DVD and changed the receiver to 7 channel stereo so
that the vocals would be directed to the main speakers instead of the
center channel. Again, they were ok, but not a WOW moment.

My
next step is to return to the store where I demo'd the RF-7's and have
them A/B with the 82's. I guess this will be the only way for sure
that I can compare apples to apples. With the RF-7's, they were paired
up with the RT-10 sub and the RS-52's. They also were using the same
Yammie receiver but they were only using it as a processor and had the
speakers being powered by a 200w x 5 amp (do not know the brand of the
amp). It was incredible sounding.

Here is my question. In your opinion, are the RF-7's that
much more of a speaker in sound quality than the 82's or was it the
fact that the one's that I listened to at Best Buy were paired up with less than
par speakers for the 82's (RC-52 and RS-42) and they had a weaker sub
and no dedicated amp?

The store that had the RF-7's said that he got a sweet deal on a bunch of 7's and bought them all. Said he would sell the RF-7's for $1600/pair and $600.00 for the RC-7. $2200 sounds kind of steep for them. What would be a reasonable offer for the RF-7's? How much for the RC-7? Thanks for your input.

I am in no way an expert on the subject, but have you tried the used market? I just picked up the RF-7s, RC-7 and two NIB RS-7's for $1600. If you shop around there are good deals out there. Also...on the RC-7, there is one on Craigslist in Modesto CA for 400 NIB.

• Moderators

I am in no way an expert on the subject, but have you tried the used market? I just picked up the RF-7s, RC-7 and two NIB RS-7's for $1600. If you shop around there are good deals out there. Also...on the RC-7, there is one on Craigslist in Modesto CA for 400 NIB.

Not really. I just began looking at the RF-7's a few weeks ago. I had originally planned on getting the 82's but now I am comparing and researching which is the best option for my setup. I checked out the one on Craigslist. It is local only and Florida happens to be a LONG way from Cali. [:(] I'll keep looking.

I bought a pair of new A-Stock Cherry RF-7s on Ebay for $1399 last Spring from a Klipsch authorized dealer (even looked them up on here to verify). I wouldn't pay much more than $1000 for them now, especially B-stocks.

I love my 7s. If you can find some, I highly recommend them. I'm temped to get a second pair of RF7s for the rear surround and multi-channel music. Either that or a pair of RB-75, if I can find them.

Guest BobG

In a post above, Jay said:

they are considered b stock since it is against the law to sell any product as new even though the owner brought them, cut the tape and never played them. It does not mean something was inherently wrong like a refurbished unit but it more or less likely buyer remorse that made them b stock.

The B Stock RF-7's are not products that were purchased and returned to Klipsch. They are new in box and are designated B Stock for minor cosmetic issues.

While some may prefer the tonal balance of RF-82's, the RF-7's are superior in most every way. At a similar price, I'd suggest the RF-7's.

If the RW-12d you heard at Best Buy did not impress, it was most certainly due to being connected to their switching system. Ask them to hook it to the receiver as you would at home. I believe your opinion will change. You may still choose another brand, but you should get a fair demo of the product before concluding its performance is not to your liking.

• Moderators

Thanks Saturn and Bob for your thoughts and comments. I'm leaning towards the 7's but will definitely go back to the store sometime to have the guy setup the 7's and 82's side by side with same setup and A/B them in the same room. That is the only true fair way to compare.

Thanks Saturn and Bob for your thoughts and comments. I'm leaning towards the 7's but will definitely go back to the store sometime to have the guy setup the 7's and 82's side by side with same setup and A/B them in the same room. That is the only true fair way to compare.

I would also make sure that they hook up the RF-7 system with a good quality AVR--I would look at the Denon AVR 38XX series or better yet the 43XX or 46XX AVR's. I have also heard good things about HK AVR's--Don't let them hook up those RF-7's to lower end models that don't deliver as much quality power with multi channels being driven. I especially would stay away from the lower end Yamahas and Sonys. Good luck:-)

Edit: BTW, I have been thrilled with my RF-7 based HT. [Y]

• Moderators

Last time I was in the store, they had them all hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V2700 but are using it as a preamp. I'm not sure what kind of amps they have it setup with. It sounded very nice and had lots of power.