Led Zeppelin LP's ..... Which Pressings To Look For ?

Gilbert

Interested in aquiring a few LZ LP's, and want to know which recordings were their best.

I am very familiar with their songs, what I'm interested in knowing is, which record label.... i.e. Atlanta, or some obsqure japanese recording label.... has the best recordings?

Anyone in here knowledgable on this subject?

Gilbert, try to find an MFSL of Led Zeppelin II.

Do you know if they have any LP's on MFSL? I have yet to see one.

Michael, thanks, but could you tell me the recording label on the LP you refered too?

Ctiger, you've been here as long as me, and only have few post...... AND now I know the subect it takes to call a Tiger out of the woods.... [;)], Thanks for the link.

EDIT:......

Ctiger, excellent link. At least a couple of guys seem to know what their talking about. I'll look into it a little deeper.

Piranha, thanks again,.... did a litlle research (see link above as one of them), and have thus far learned that one 1 LZ recording exsist. I'll keep my eyeballs peels for it. I'd prefered a sealed copy, but will take a mint copy from a reputable seller. Thanks again, and again.

+1 on the Classic Records, try acousticsounds.com. They are expensive but I've never been disappointed. I have "Pysical Graffiti" and it sounds great. I have a couple other Zep records from the 70's and as long as they are in excellent condition they should be good.

I have their first album as a japanese pressing. Excellent quality vinyl, and as a bonus there is a translation of the lyrics which probably has been cycled from english to japanese back to english causing a few humorous changes. You won't be disappointed if you find mint japanese pressings.

If you're not looking at them as a collectors piece, you're not trying to pinch pennies and you want to guarantee good sound, all their better albums have been released by Classic Records. Pricey for new vinyl but I have a few of their albums and they do sound sweet.

http://www.musicdirect.com/stores/classicrecords.asp

Absolutely a must for vinyl Zep fans!! These pressings are very well done.

I've heard all of the Classic reissues and while they're all better than the originals, some are much better than others. The best IMO are:

I

Houses Of The Holy

Presence

In Through The Out Door

Those listed are REALLY good. Presence is awesome. The best "No Quarter" I've ever heard is on the Classic reissue of HOTH.

The MFSL of II is the best you'll find of that LP BY FAR! Unfortunately it was the only Zeppelin MFSL.

I'd say the Japanese pressings (if available) of those not listed above are better than the Classic reissues which can be a little muddy sounding IMO.

The only original pressing that's worth owning (other than for collecting) would be Zeppelin I. There are better pressings but it's the only Zeppelin original that sounds really good IMO.

The MFSL is much cleaner and clearer sounding and the vinyl is nice and quiet. The only weird thing about the MFSL pressing is the midrange is a little distant. I think the Classic reissues are good if the original pressings are good in most cases (not all) and the original pressing of II is terrible IMO. The Classic reissues of II, III and IV are good but not great. All much better than the originals however. Worth $30 each? That's up to you.

If you're not looking at them as a collectors piece, you're not trying to pinch pennies and you want to guarantee good sound, all their better albums have been released by Classic Records. Pricey for new vinyl but I have a few of their albums and they do sound sweet.

Dang you Scott, I don't know whether to thank you... or kick you in butt [;)] . I just spent about $200 and change on that site. Got a few Zeppelin LP's (LZ1, Presence and H.O.T.H.), Neil Youngs Greatest Hits, Best Of Dire Straits and Miles Davis's "Kind Of Blue" [H]. Geeezus, what happened? My head is still spinning.

Nice web site, thanks, I think.

Gary,

I'll give ya shout tomorrow on my way home, take care buddy.

Fini,

Keep those beer stained 8 tracks, they should make for I nice wind-chime or wind-clacker. When I got out (escaped) from highschool I bought old 1970 Jeep CJ5 that I drove for about 8 yrs. That thing had an 8 track player. The 8 track bit the dust (litteraly) from too much exposure to the elements, and that was my first and last 8 track player. For what it's worth, my very first 8 track tapes were Pink Floyd's DSOTM and Wish You Were Here.

Dang you Scott, I don't know whether to thank you... or kick you in butt [;)] . I just spent about $200 and change on that site. Got a few Zeppelin LP's (LZ1, Presence and H.O.T.H.), Neil Youngs Greatest Hits, Best Of Dire Straits and Miles Davis's "Kind Of Blue" [H]. Geeezus, what happened? My head is still spinning.

Nice web site, thanks, I think.

Gary,

I'll give ya shout tomorrow on my way home, take care buddy.

Fini,

Keep those beer stained 8 tracks, they should make for I nice wind-chime or wind-clacker. When I got out (escaped) from highschool I bought old 1970 Jeep CJ5 that I drove for about 8 yrs. That thing had an 8 track player. The 8 track bit the dust (litteraly) from too much exposure to the elements, and that was my first and last 8 track player. For what it's worth, my very first 8 track tapes were Pink Floyd's DSOTM and Wish You Were Here.

All good choices Gilbert. You won't be dissappointed with any of them although I've never heard the Dire Straits.