"Factory Special" La Scala II's at Onecall--1,799.97/e***

DoubleJ

Heritage Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Ea)

does the (Ea) mean each...so 1799 each, 3500 and change for the pair?

Yep... From their web page:

Klipsch Heritage Series Speakers are priced individually but sold only as matched pairs. Avoid delays by ordering in groups of two.

Dang!

That's the way I'm reading it, Fritz!!

Make sure you read their definition of "Factory Special".

These Factory Irregular Klipsch La Scala II speakers come from the factory brand new but have a 20% markdown due to a minor cosmetic flaw (non-matching woodgrain).

JJ

I'm miffed. Why would one pay $3600 for a pair of speakers made out of MDF, when they can but the originals (plywood) for $1500 or less per pair? The only reason a speaker manufacture uses MDF, is to cut cost!

I thought MDF was more dense than plywood and less likely to vibrate or transmit vibration.

The only reason a speaker manufacture uses MDF, is to cut cost!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Arguments can be made that plywood, although it costs more sheet for sheet than MDF, costs less than MDF in the production of speakers.

· Plywood can hold screws better than MDF, i.e. assembly can be easier and quicker, thus lowering production costs; and

· MDF is heavier than plywood, i.e. shipping costs, i.e. prices are higher.

MDF is solid and tends to be more acoustically inert than plywood, which is why many DIY people build with MDF rather than plywood. With DIY, time is your biggest investment. The small difference in the price of materials is insignificant; shipping costs are irrelevant, and yet, MDF is often chosen over plywood.

FWIW, Speakerlab started out making their Khorn clones out of MDF and then switched to plywood. My guess is they did it to cut costs, not in the search for audio perfection.

Arguments can be made for plywood and MDF; IMHO it does not always come down to the relative costs of the raw materials.

...MDF is solid and tends to be more acoustically inert than plywood, which is why many DIY people build with MDF rather than plywood...

Klipsch claim an improvment with the H3 and it uses MDF instead of plywood, yet the LS2 is MDF & plywood. Does plywood resonate more than MDF? Could horns just sound better with plywood instead of MDF, yet larger cones sound better with MDF?

Thanks for posting this, DoubleJ. I got the black ash Heresy IIIs for my bedroom in the house I'm remodeling. For now, they will occupy space with the DW, compactor, tin ceiling panels, and other kitchen stuff that is stacked-up in my living room. It will be a while before they are out of the boxes.

SSH

I'm miffed. Why would one pay $3600 for a pair of speakers made out of MDF, when they can but the originals (plywood) for $1500 or less per pair? The only reason a speaker manufacture uses MDF, is to cut cost!

The La Scala II is an upgrade over the original La Scala as well as an update. The bass bin is made of 1-inch MDF because it's less resonant and much stiffer than the 3/4-inch plywood used in the original LS. This addresses the lack of bass bin sidewall stiffness that limits bass volume in the original LS. THe LS II is reputed to be noticeably improved in the bass area. The top section is still made of plywood.

As well, the LS II is better looking, or at least less industrial looking, so much so that the Belle was discontinued, since the La Scala II is equally good-looking, but less expensive.

Better sound and better looks? That's not a case of a manufacturer "cheaping out".

Next time your in Home Depot or Lowes, look at the price difference between MDF and veneer faced plywood. MDF is about 1/2 the cost. I don't have the article, but one DIY speaker builder built two pair. One out of MDF, the other out of plywood. He said there was no difference in sound quality, but that MDF is very unforgiving with screws, banging a corner, etc. And don't even get it wet.

...MDF is solid and tends to be more acoustically inert than plywood, which is why many DIY people build with MDF rather than plywood...

Klipsch claim an improvment with the H3 and it uses MDF instead of plywood, yet the LS2 is MDF & plywood. Does plywood resonate more than MDF? Could horns just sound better with plywood instead of MDF, yet larger cones sound better with MDF?

In the La Scala II, the plywood HF section contains and supports the squawker and tweeter horns, while the MDF bass bin is the woofer horn. Resonance and inertness are less significant in the case of the HF section, and plywood is definitely sturdier.

In the case of the Heresy speakers, the cabinet has an influence on the sound of the woofer. However, the H2 and H3 both have MDF cabinets (most of the H2s, at least). There are other changes that account for the differences and improvements between the H2 and H3.

Next time your in Home Depot or Lowes, look at the price difference between MDF and veneer faced plywood. MDF is about 1/2 the cost. I don't have the article, but one DIY speaker builder built two pair. One out of MDF, the other out of plywood. He said there was no difference in sound quality, but that MDF is very unforgiving with screws, banging a corner, etc. And don't even get it wet.

I think plywood is always best for the DIY'er because it can take the screws better. Quality MDF speakers are not all 3/4" thickness. Mine are 3" thick MDF and made that way to prevent box flex. No speaker designed for home use is supposed to get wet or be subjected to lots of humidity. (That can cause MDF to swell and plywood to warp.) Also, MDF boxes or not made with the expectations that the customer will disassemble it and money with the crossovers. MDF may be cheap, but it's the sonic qualities about it that make it a wiser choice. I think this is wisdom. Also, selecting a driver that is second-best (instead of the very best) that might produce a better end result is another example of wisdom. Regarding the use of plywood with Klipsch, it may be that the horns just sound better with it, or due to nostalgia, or both.

I just typed a great response and when I went to post it, I got this "oops, something went wrong!" message. So I'll limit my response.

Speakers made from MDF are not meant to be taken apart. DIY'ers use plywood so they can monkey with the internals. Klipsch may choose to use plywood for the horns to make them sound better, or for nostalgia, or both. Klipsch needs to appeal to the music lovers that supported them over the years, so I can see it in their best interest not to make a huge departure from the tried and true. If plywood doesn't destroy the sound, then good call on their part to use it. For designing a stiff cabinet free from resonance, though, MDF is almost always used. Cheap? Who cares? Most of Klipsch drivers are made in China and no one has been complaining. I think the thing to bear in mind is the wisdom to know when a change mucks up the sound, has no change, or improves the sound. I'm sure the Klipsch gurus are on top of that. If you ask me, use of MDF is forward thinking for them.

EDIT: Sorry for this repost! It looks like the computer accepted the first reponse even though it told me it didn't and didn't seem to stick the first time. Don't shoot me. I don't know how to delete it.

I just typed a great response and when I went to post it, I got this "oops, something went wrong!" message. So I'll limit my response.

EDIT: Sorry for this repost! It looks like the computer accepted the first reponse even though it told me it didn't and didn't seem to stick the first time. Don't shoot me. I don't know how to delete it.

If you send in a post and then wish you could change it, you can! Go back to your post and hit the "edit" button. A new window will open and you can make any changes you want and post it again. It will appear in the same spot with the new changes.

This is a feature I haven't seen on other forums and it's really handy. It would probably explain why sometimes you see posts that are just a period. The poster thought better of it and deleted the whole thing. Hmm, wish I could do that in daily life sometimes...