My new (1977) La Scalas

Sky Hits

[H]

It has been since Saturday that I have had my newly aquired La Scalas hooked up but I've been hesitant to offer a report because...well, I've been heavy listening!

On Saturday I borrowed my friend's minivan and trekked out to the outer Chicago suburbs from the city to pick up my La Scalas. Thanks very much to John, "the seller" who started with a great post at Craigslist, was upfront and honest, offered the speakers at a very decent price, hooked them up properly so that I could preview them well, and even helped get them into the minivan! (Also thanks to John's wife and baby who needed the space. John's 'settling' for his Heresies now.)

On to the audio: I'm running them on a rough-and-tumble system now....the La Scalas are really going to be the first building block of a two-channel system that will take me a year or two to put together: I'm currently using an old sony integrated amp from the early 80s, creek audio phono pre, technics turntable and a grado gold cartridge.

I started out listening to some dub reggae and was immediately pleased with the bass. I feel as though I bought two kick drums and set them up in my apartment. I moved on Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints which really showcased what horns can do with horns! The horn hits on the record sounded amazing. Next I played Amhad Jamal's Live at the Pershing "But Not For Me" concert and was so pleased to have the sound of that piano in my room. There's nothing like playing really varying styles of music to showcase the versatility and response of these speakers.

So then came the trouble: I noticed that one of my tweeters had gone out! No sound at all. I called the seller to make sure I wasn't going crazy and he told me to check the connections because something may have come loose. I tightened up the connections to the network (AA networks, by the way) and thankfully the tweeter started singing again. I made a mental note to really check all of the connections as these are very old speakers.

Sorry, as I don't have a digital camera (a dinosaur, I know) I can't post any pictures. Truthfully they are not much to look at: painted matte black, these were owned and used by a church in Oregon for an electric organ. But the sound is everything!

Very happy new La Scala owner,

Seth Hitsky

[H]

It has been since Saturday that I have had my newly aquired La Scalas hooked up but I've been hesitant to offer a report because...well, I've been heavy listening!

On Saturday I borrowed my friend's minivan and trekked out to the outer Chicago suburbs from the city to pick up my La Scalas. Thanks very much to John, "the seller" who started with a great post at Craigslist, was upfront and honest, offered the speakers at a very decent price, hooked them up properly so that I could preview them well, and even helped get them into the minivan! (Also thanks to John's wife and baby who needed the space. John's 'settling' for his Heresies now.)

On to the audio: I'm running them on a rough-and-tumble system now....the La Scalas are really going to be the first building block of a two-channel system that will take me a year or two to put together: I'm currently using an old sony integrated amp from the early 80s, creek audio phono pre, technics turntable and a grado gold cartridge.

I started out listening to some dub reggae and was immediately pleased with the bass. I feel as though I bought two kick drums and set them up in my apartment. I moved on Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints which really showcased what horns can do with horns! The horn hits on the record sounded amazing. Next I played Amhad Jamal's Live at the Pershing "But Not For Me" concert and was so pleased to have the sound of that piano in my room. There's nothing like playing really varying styles of music to showcase the versatility and response of these speakers.

So then came the trouble: I noticed that one of my tweeters had gone out! No sound at all. I called the seller to make sure I wasn't going crazy and he told me to check the connections because something may have come loose. I tightened up the connections to the network (AA networks, by the way) and thankfully the tweeter started singing again. I made a mental note to really check all of the connections as these are very old speakers.

Sorry, as I don't have a digital camera (a dinosaur, I know) I can't post any pictures. Truthfully they are not much to look at: painted matte black, these were owned and used by a church in Oregon for an electric organ. But the sound is everything!

Very happy new La Scala owner,

Seth Hitsky

Congrats is that Prince Buster or King Tubby in your avatar pic?

[H]

First, congrats on your La Scalas. I got mine a year ago and like them more every day.

Next, a year or two to put your system together? Hah! I said to myself a couple of times, "There, that's the system about complete." I eventually realized it will never be complete, although from time to time it reaches plateaus where I may leave it as it is for a year or two, or until I think of the next upgrade. It does always sound good to me, although "good" is getting ever better.

Finally, loose connections? The same thing happened to mine in the first week. One of the connectors on the crossover came loose, so I resoldered it and checked all the rest. You might want to give all the connections a gentle tug and see if any more are loose, then you can relax and get back to listening to your favourite music. However, you may find your taste changing over time, as the Scalas reveal hidden subtleties in music you thought was nothing special, and expose flaws in music you thought was great.

I can't say what the current market is like, but I paid $1200 Cdn for my "average condition" 1974 La Scalas last August in Victoria, BC. With the size and weight of these speakers, location/shipping is an important factor, so when I saw and heard a pair only 10 minutes drive from my place, they seemed like more of a bargain than some less expensive ones a long distance away. I'm sure you were glad you were able to hear yours before buying and to take them safely home yourself.

ah, the BIG leagues!

Welcome to the Madness

nothing at all wrong with your rig, sounds like just the kind of setup a pair of LS would be comfy with.

It does sound LIVE, doens't it? Nothing like having a PA in your living room to bring the band home!

Michael

U said u love Reggae... I am sure you have it, but Bob Marleys, "Legend" CD.... A MUST cranked up on La Scala's. I have been to Jamaica, no matter who you are you get hooked... hehehe

I almost forgot, where is my Red Stripe n "Jerk Chicken" too? mmmmm

Definitely King Tubby, who incidentally was also a whiz at electronics, had a EE if I remember correctly. He built and/or modified a fair share of his equipment.

King Tubby is one of the Caribbean artist I know the least about. I love of course Marley, Toots, Lee Scratch Perry, Prince Buster, Laurel Aiken, U Roy, I Roy, Eek-A-Mouse, and I can't leave out the Bahmian Folk artist Joseph Spence. If I left out any big names let me know. Nothing better than Caribbean music in the summer.

My memory is a bit rusty, but King Tubby was one of the major producers of the 70s, along with Lee Scratch Perry. Tubby's proteges were King Jammy (then Prince Jammy) and Scientist. King Jammy became the largest producer in Jamaica when dancehall hit (computerised rhythms). In fact, Jammy produced the first of these rhythms, the Sleng Teng rhythm (still my favorite). Tubby was famous for his unique sound, of which his modified effect boxes had a lot to do with. He was a master at squeezing an instrument. If you like Rocksteady (still my favorite style, succeded ska and preceded reggae) check out anything produced by either Coxsone Dodd (Studio One label) or Treasure Isle label (Duke Reid). Coxsone produced Marley's first album, The Wailing Wailers (Bob, Peter, and Bunny), but the band was the Studio One house band, not the band most are familiar with: This band consisted of Aston Barrett on bass, and Carlton Barrett on drums, (previously known as the Hippy boys, became the Upsetters). They were members of Scratch's house band. When the Wailing Wailers left Coxsone, who's greed was notorious, and went to Scratch, Perry put together the famous group that everyone is familiar with. End rambling.

Hello everybody, thanks for all the great responses. I've been away from the computer and boy, you walk away from a thread around here and...!!!

Anyway, to respond to some of what was asked/said, I actually got these La Scalas for a bargain: $650! The owner originally posted them on craigslist for $800 a month or two ago and couldn't find a taker. So he dropped the price, because he wanted to move them, but also said he couldn't in good conscience drop it any lower.

As far as my plans go, I spoke with someone at Klipsch about the upgrade kit to convert these puppy's into La Scala IIs. It includes new networks, new bass and tweeter drivers. It does assume that you have the right midrange driver and if anybody can tell me if the K-55-V works with the upgrade kit, I'm interested in finding out.

It is already wonderful listening, and yes, very "live" sound. I'm actually having a little trouble with my sony integrated amp (the right channel is noticably a little quieter than the left channel) and was considering spending a few hundred bucks on a better integrated (perhaps used): arcam, marantz or nad, until I can really invest in some nice separates. I'm also noticing a subtle tracking issue with my technics turntable (some 'crackliness' in the treble at times) that I need to either get worked out, or perhaps replace the thing with a better table.

I think it's a testament to the Scalas though that I'm able to suss out all of these subtleties. I'm really enjoying their sound, how the vocals and horns levitate in the room...and the hihats for jazz? So crispy!

So to the music discussion! I feel honored that my placing King Tubby as my avatar has sparked such a nice discussion about Jamaican music. I'd like to add Joe Gibbs to the list of talented producers already mentioned. Particularly his African Dub series of records.

And I do have a copy of Legend on vinyl. Anybody ever notice that there are two versions? One that has some "remixed" versions of some of the songs?

As far as my plans go, I spoke with someone at Klipsch about the upgrade kit to convert these puppy's into La Scala IIs. It includes new networks, new bass and tweeter drivers. It does assume that you have the right midrange driver and if anybody can tell me if the K-55-V works with the upgrade kit, I'm interested in finding out.

It is already wonderful listening, and yes, very "live" sound. I'm actually having a little trouble with my sony integrated amp (the right channel is noticably a little quieter than the left channel) and was considering spending a few hundred bucks on a better integrated (perhaps used): arcam, marantz or nad, until I can really invest in some nice separates. I'm also noticing a subtle tracking issue with my technics turntable (some 'crackliness' in the treble at times) that I need to either get worked out, or perhaps replace the thing with a better table.

There's a lot more to a La Scala II than different internals. The cabinet is 2-piece instead of 1-piece and the bass bin is made of 1-inch MDF instead of 3/4-inch plywood. The new parts would upgrade your La Scalas, but they still would not be La Scala IIs, in sound or looks. As well, the new networks/crossovers are optimized for the new cabinet with its improved bass response, so they wouldn't perform as designed if they were installed in an original La Scala. Sorry to shoot down your upgrade idea, but it would be pretty expensive and wouldn't convert your speakers to 2007 models.

As you've noticed, your speakers already sound pretty good, but I'll suggest an update and an upgrade. If the capacitors in the networks are original, you'll want to replace them, since they'll be way past their prime. New caps don't cost much and you'll notice an immediate improvement in clarity. As well, a popular mod is Bob Crites' CT125 tweeters. They noticeably improve the sound over the standard K-77s, although one or two forum members prefer the K-77s. Bob Crites (BEC on the forum) has cap kits as well.

Your Technics table should be fine if it's operating properly. If the cables are failing or you have a loose connection, that could cause the crackling. Unfortunately, the cables are attached deep inside the unit, so replacing them is a shop job in most cases. Even so, it's not too costly. I had the old cables on my SL-1400MK2 replaced with good quality WireWorld cables and a new Shure M97xE cartridge installed and the sound is good enough to make me happy for the next few years at least.

U said u love Reggae... I am sure you have it, but Bob Marleys, "Legend" CD.... A MUST cranked up on La Scala's. I have been to Jamaica, no matter who you are you get hooked... hehehe

I almost forgot, where is my Red Stripe n "Jerk Chicken" too? mmmmm

Ah yes 'Legend', the most white bread of all Reggae CD's.