Anybody got a vegetable garden?

peshewah

Mine looks great. We planted two different kinds of corn. Honey and cream, and peaches and cream. The honey and cream is a early producer. That was the first time we tryed it and I didn't care for it. It is creamy but it wasn't very sweet. We sowed 3 rows of it(30 by 30 garden). I'm ashamed of it. We give our friend and neigbors vegys and I want it to be the best around. But the peachs and cream will be really good but it hasn't produced yet. We grew it for the past three years and always had good luck with it. There is nothing better than open your windows and listen to music as loud as you please, sitting under a shade tree with a cold beer and watch the wife work her butt off in the garden. Very fine looking Lady. Throw some Tri-tip on the grill and fresh salad out of the garden, corn and potatoes and what ever else is ready to eat. Now that is living. Man.... you city folks don't know what your missing.

• Moderators

Mdeneen,

That is a really nice garden you have there. I would love to have enough cool weather to grow lettuce. We have a very small window of opportunity in which to grow lettuce and Iceberg lettuce is totally out of the question.

Nice, clean looking garden. Raised garden are great. Alot less weeds and no rocks.We don't have a raised bed and we produce more rocks and weeds than vegys. Have you tryed growing cabbage? It is so much better home grown, not as bitter. Isn't great to run out in your back yard and pick your own salad. It taste so much better than store bought stuff. Good luck my friend.

Three tomato plants on the patio in containers....many tomatos but won't turn red. Whats up with that? Have "harvested" about 5 but they are taking their time getting ripe. I ask my wife mornings if she has checked the crops yet.....we are real farmers[;)]

• Moderators

Mdeneen,

You are right, once you eat the product of your work it is very satisfying. I love being able to eat what we grow. Tomatoes, corn, watermelons, honey dew melons, pumpkins (will be planting soon), then in winter we'll grow cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and brussell sprouts. We do not use any pesticides on our veggies. Right now we have six blueberry bushes that are "dragging the ground" with blueberries.

It's so nice to know the grandkids can walk out to the garden or the blueberry bushes and eat something without me hollering "Make sure you wash it first" and then standing over them to supervise the washing.

We also have four apple trees, three of which are a variety from Israel that produce extremely good for this area. The grandkids can "snack" while they are outside playing, or take an apple to the horses across the street.

With an average 68 degree high temperature I would think it would be very difficult to get tomatoes to produce. Although there are a couple of varieties that will produce tomatoes in as little as seventy days. BTW, have you tried cherry tomatoes?

Tarheel, that's just cheatin![;)]

• Moderators

You can see a pic of our first round of tomato picking here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/933349.aspx

You could always make blueberry jam or preserves, it's real easy to do and wonderful on pancakes or waffles. A couple of jars would last the two of you quite a while.

Sometimes the best thing to do with overgrown fruit trees is serious branch removal. I don't "do" ladders very well either (afraid of heights) so I make sure all fruit trees are as close to arm reaching (picking) height as possible. I can climb one or two rungs on the ladder but after that I get really unsure of myself.

Cherry trees are all but impossible for our area [:(], not enough "chill time".

Yes I know its cheating but its the only place in my yard with sun. When I built my house 20 years ago I tried to save every tree possible....hence little sun. Would love to have more room for a small garden.....maybe after the next hurricane takes down some of these pines. Anyway you and Mark seem to have the garden thing down pat. Never seen better looking tomatos and Mark has the cooler climate crops covered. The few tomatos we have harvested were excellent though I have already had to battle blossom end rot. Use a product called land plaster and it seems to work. A farmers life is hard[:D]

• Moderators

Tarheel,

You are funny!

I have never heard of land plaster. I do know blossom end rot can be caused by uneven watering or maybe it's lack of calcium. Try using really, really large pots for growing the tomatoes and don't require watering as often. Discarded egg shells work real good for the calcium shortage.

Mine looks great. We planted two different kinds of corn. Honey and cream, and peaches and cream. The honey and cream is a early producer. That was the first time we tryed it and I didn't care for it. It is creamy but it wasn't very sweet. We sowed 3 rows of it(30 by 30 garden). I'm ashamed of it. We give our friend and neigbors vegys and I want it to be the best around. But the peachs and cream will be really good but it hasn't produced yet. We grew it for the past three years and always had good luck with it. There is nothing better than open your windows and listen to music as loud as you please, sitting under a shade tree with a cold beer and watch the wife work her butt off in the garden. Very fine looking Lady. Throw some Tri-tip on the grill and fresh salad out of the garden, corn and potatoes and what ever else is ready to eat. Now that is living. Man.... you city folks don't know what your missing.

Wow, sounds beautiful!

Any pictures of her?[;)]

dtel's wife.....blossom end rot is caused from a lack of calcium and land plaster adds calcium to the soil. I had thought about the pot size though mine are considerable sized terra cotta pots. May go larger next year. Thanks for the tips.

Fini, it takes to long to upload pictures. Dail-up, 26.4k out here in the sticks. The racoons found our corn. They eat it like we eat it, peel the husk back. 6 ears where sampled. I figured it was just one coon. A whole family would have cleaned it out. So my beautiful wife got mad and pick all of it. Most of ot was ready but some wasn't. We have a lot of corn to eat.

Steve,you have a nice place and a clean garden. I would like to visit Virginia some day.

Wow. 68 as a summer high. Too bad about tomatoes, though.

Interesting enough, in Arkansas, we do well with tomatoes early, but it eventually gets so hot the blooms will not set fruit. Hard to believe it can be too hot for tomatoes, but it's true. Probably should say, it gets too hot for tomatoes to do well. The crop that does come through in the heat is poor.