Receiver Recommendations

willland

I will be upgrading my receiver very soon. I hear different brands have signature characteristics ie--Onkyo run hot, Pioneer quality not what it used to be, Denon confusing to set up, Yamaha bright sound. I am partial to Onkyo---sound,build quality,ease of use. I like what I have read about the Onkyo TX-SR674. Considering waiting for the release of the TX-SR705---100wt,1.3 HDMI,THX select. Any suggestions? Budget: $750.00.

Thanks, Bill

• Moderators

Can someone tell me how when I post to display my current HT system so I don't have to type it every time? I am just learning how to navigate this forum better. Thanks

At the top right of the forum, click on your username where it says "Signed in as ..." . Enter your system specs in the "Signature". It will be displayed at the bottom of your posts.

• Moderators

I can't offer much. I have an older Onkyo TX-DS555 Dolby Digital 5.1 Receiver that's about 7 years old. I'm not current on the new models. I have been very satisfied with my Onkyo. I have been looking at upgrading to the Yamaha RX-V1700 or the Yamaha RX-V2700. Since we will not start building our new home with a theater room until Jan, and will not move in until around August of 2008, I will not be buying a receiver until then because technology will change and the Yamaha 1700 and 2700 will be a lot cheaper then if I choose to stay with them.

I too am considering the Yamaha RX-V2700 for a new receiver. I am also planning on purchasing the Klipsch RF-83 complete set. Will the RX-V2700 pair quite nicely with the RF-83 series? Currently, I have a Kenwood KRV9030 that is about 14 years old, so it's time for it to retire. Of course I have a little more in my budget than $750 for a receiver.

Another question I have, I got on ebay to check out pricing for the RX-V2700, and saw pricing as low as $1050, as opposed to the msrp on the Yamaha website for the unit listed at $1699. The customer rating for the seller on ebay was rated very high, but I assume the OEM warranty does not apply. Am I right in this assumption? Has anyone had any pleasant experiences with ebay power sellers for HT electronics? I have been on some websites (Klipsch included) that warn of purchasing their products from unauthorized dealers, as they can be cheap knockoffs or stolen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Don2dusk

The HK's are nice,then I'd prefer Denon etc...I've found the Denons very easy to set up.The Onkyo would be at the lower part of my list,Ive got an unimpressive 702 in my garage(not worthy of Klipsch,imo).The budget is really the main thing,slightly over $1k gives best options,except the HK's,which for 6 or 7 hundred perform like over 1k avrs.Then there is always Rotel,Arcam etc.. for the more music minded.Good Luck.

I have an Onkyo and a Denon receiver and I found that the Denon looks better and is much easier to set up. The Denon also has more features but my Denon was double the price of the Onkyo. The new Onkyo's have all the new goodies such as built in Sirius thing which I like because I bought a subscription and have used it only a handful of times. The new Onkyo's seem to be a great value but there is also gonna be new receivers from other brands this year I would expect. If I could get over the ugliness of the Onkyo I would probably go that way. I also know that my Denon sounds amazing with my new RF-82s I picked up this morning.

This is not an official Klipsch endorsement.

YAMAHA do not sound 'bright' with Klipsch speakers. I know, I have 4 FOUR of them.

My most recent is the RXV-2600, a close cousin to the 2700 (just not the ipod charging and other MP3 features).

I like the sound, features, remotes, etc.

Other users here have had good results with Denon, Onkyo, HK. I do know that Onkyo allows separate crossover frequencies for each bank of speakers and that sounds interesting.

Please remember folks, this is a Loudspeaker forum. Many users have knowledge they will share regarding receiver selection, but try using the SEARCH function and doing a little research first. Sorry to be a bit tardy getting back to you.

M

After 60+ views of this post, only one opinion. Please offer up some expert advice.

Greatly appreciated, Bill

first off Denon are neutral sound but sound fine.

HK sound warm and give real wattage not some theoretical number that it can do for one second or so....

Pioneer has cheapened out but the 1016 is pretty nice for around 349 dollars authorized dealer.

onkyo..... hard to talk about, I own a older receiver but not a newer one.

I too am considering the Yamaha RX-V2700 for a new receiver. I am also planning on purchasing the Klipsch RF-83 complete set. Will the RX-V2700 pair quite nicely with the RF-83 series? Currently, I have a Kenwood KRV9030 that is about 14 years old, so it's time for it to retire. Of course I have a little more in my budget than $750 for a receiver.

Another question I have, I got on ebay to check out pricing for the RX-V2700, and saw pricing as low as $1050, as opposed to the msrp on the Yamaha website for the unit listed at $1699. The customer rating for the seller on ebay was rated very high, but I assume the OEM warranty does not apply. Am I right in this assumption? Has anyone had any pleasant experiences with ebay power sellers for HT electronics? I have been on some websites (Klipsch included) that warn of purchasing their products from unauthorized dealers, as they can be cheap knockoffs or stolen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Don2dusk

I would shop some authorized dealers first, you might be surprised on the price, I noticed some buy it now options undercut some of my dealers by around 50 dollars or so..... I think 50 dollars is worth it for being authorized and knowing where the merchandise came from. I know a dealer if you want to pm me.

I recently upgraded from an older Onkyo to a new SR-804, & it was a nightmare. The unit had a hum in the sub channel, & Onkyo released a fix for it that did not fix it. After 3 trips to the shop, I finally got Circuit City to replace it with a new 805 model. The 805 is a totally different beast, and I can strongly recommend it. I wrote in another forum that it seemed that Onkyo knew the 804 was a POS, so the 805 was their way of apologizing.

I hear that the 605 & 705 are expected to be about the same quality.

I'm in the market for a new receiver also.I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX it's about 7-8 years old.I mainly use it for ht/music 70/30 ratio.It doesn't sound to impressive when I watch HD tv or dvd's.I'm leaning towards a Marantz SR7500 $549.99 or SR8500 $699.99 Denon AVR-2807 $699.98 or AVR-3806 $769.98.