DIBS! I CALL DIBS!

jtnfoley

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ob when did this hobby become a business ?????????????????????

joe

The second money changed hands.

I'm

sorry guys, but it's unrealistic to claim "dibs" on any thing posted on

craigslist or ebay or at the Sally or at Good Willie's. This isn't 5th

Grade.

Ethics? If someone is selling a pair of $1,500 speakers for

$250, ethics suggests you consider offering them more money if you

think they don't know what they are doing. Ethics is a two-way

street.

Find a great deal, take cash in hand, secure the item,

and THEN tell about it (and deal with your conscience if you just

robbed a widow or simply took advantage of a great deal offered by an

angry ex-wife) .

When you post a "great deal", it becomes fair game. Period.

I

don't even post great deals I see that I have no interest in myself,

because I don't want to screw up somebody else's "great deal".

As George Patton said, "The winner is the guy gets there first-est with the most-est". Still true.

My hobby became a business the second money changed hands?

Oh no you did not.

Ha, please tell me you pay tax on all items you buy at Garage sales - I sure as heck pay tax on all business purchases.

Some hobby's pay for a bit of them selves - that don't make 'em a business.

I think we are having a problem here because it's about walking an ethical line that we must (each) draw for ourselves.

So much more easy to say "All's fair - it's like war - it's all about winning" Man, I am SO glad I don't have to live like that.

And you can't make me.

You might be able to get me to treat YOU like that (you could earn that kind of disrespect) but to go about my life like that?

No way, that kind of life would eat me up inside. No way...

Why not offer the old woman more then she was asking? BTDT, give it a try, if it does not feel good, there might be something wrong with you. It's a cheep thrill man - try it.

It's about walking your own ethical line.

No one said it was gonna be easy all the time, just right.

My hobby became a business the second money changed hands?

Oh no you did not.

Ha, please tell me you pay tax on all items you buy at Garage sales - I sure as heck pay tax on all business purchases.

Some hobby's pay for a bit of them selves - that don't make 'em a business.

I think we are having a problem here because it's about walking an ethical line that we must (each) draw for ourselves.

So much more easy to say "All's fair - it's like war - it's all about winning" Man, I am SO glad I don't have to live like that.

And you can't make me.

You might be able to get me to treat YOU like that (you could earn that kind of disrespect) but to go about my life like that?

No way, that kind of life would eat me up inside. No way...

Why not offer the old woman more then she was asking? BTDT, give it

a try, if it does not feel good, there might be something wrong with

you. It's a cheep thrill man - try it.

It's about walking your own ethical line.

No one said it was gonna be easy all the time, just right.

Why yes, I have

offered people MORE than they were asking for, when I felt they were

screwing themselves. The lady with the $250 La Scalas? She was probably

about to get screwed. Maybe she was screwed by the first caller for

$250, or maybe somebody didn't honor "dibs" and offered her $500.

You tell me the "ethics", OK?

Guys, All I'm really saying is DIBS is a kids saying, people in this hobby aren't kids....Dibs doesn't mean anything, Cash Talks, all the rest is talk.....Sorry, if that offends some....Pete, there are alot of nice guys on this forum, and many a good deal has been handed out, and I have recieved such a gift, but DIBS, please, many a guy has let a deal go bye because others wanted it, and in the end, they don't take it, and everyone loses out. If there is something you want, pay up and buy it, or take your chances......

What I 'don't' get is people calling up sellers to tell them they are selling something too cheap. I've experienced this with 2 purchases. One was where I had a verbal agreement and was in-transit to the seller's house. When I got there, these convos were related to me. These convos to the seller occurred between the time I left and the time I got to the sellers' house. Seemed pretty clear to me they/someone was trying hard to turn it into a bidding war and offered more than what I was paying. Otherwise, I don't get the need to inform sellers they are selling something too cheap especially when one won't be buying. These sellers on Craigslist have access to a computer and all it takes is a few clicks to get to Ebay for a quick comparison search. It's up to the seller to do basic research IMO.

Ahemmm..  cough..  Pete, where is my thirty large?

Hey! I tell you what I'm gonna give you, Snakes. I'm gonna give you to the count of 10 to get your ugly, yellow, no-good keister off my property before I pump your guts full of lead! One, two, ten!
[machine gun fire

Guys, All I'm really saying is DIBS is a kids saying, people in this hobby aren't kids....Dibs doesn't mean anything, Cash Talks, all the rest is talk.....Sorry, if that offends some....Pete, there are alot of nice guys on this forum, and many a good deal has been handed out, and I have recieved such a gift, but DIBS, please, many a guy has let a deal go bye because others wanted it, and in the end, they don't take it, and everyone loses out. If there is something you want, pay up and buy it, or take your chances......

If you must get pedantic:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=facetious

As for 'money talks...' I did drive to work today in my 10MPG (covered) pickup truck with a pocket full of cash rather than my 50MPG "don't laugh, it pays for the gas in my boat" Jetta TDI.

Relative to AVSForums, where a casual reference to a found deal would summon the wolves from the hills, this forum in the past has struck me as being far more convivial. Perhaps not.

I think the ones that you need to worry about are the lurkers and the silent types.

That said this reminds me of another forum I belong to where there was a 'movement' once where one member wouldn't bid against another member. Kinda ties in with this thing here. Didn't work there either. . .

Were this a private forum with only two members calling 'dibbs' might work however once a person posts about such a 'lottery ticket' find with the potential of either getting such a good deal or to flip it and make a tidy profit 'dibbs' would never do a thing except send someone else after your find.

Take the money out of it and 'dibbs' might. . . just might work.

I see it like a 'special' table at a Dept Store. . . As long as it is sitting on that table it is fair game regardless how someone hears about it.

If you want to post to share your excitement just don't tell where they are and most important don't post the link.

• Moderators

jtnfoley,

Don't let a few bad apples discourage you. OB knows what you meant, we all knew what you meant. It's just that some folks aren't as understanding and kind as the rest of us here, so OB kinda plays the bad guy just to let you know to "watch your own back" cuz we can only "watch out for you so much". Sometimes, the "bad guys" just sneak up on us and we don't even know who they are, but I can assure you once we find out they are a bad guy....well you know....we take care of them kind.[;)]

Am I missing something? People have called Dibs here before. Many have stepped aside to allow someone to get speakers. I always thought that was nice about this forum.

and others have out bid them anyway....or owner sold to someone else.....or in the end the guy that said dibs, decides against them......

They are many honest forum members who's word is golden, and whatever they say, you can count on, and then there's the tire kickers who want everything and buy nothing......If you really want something you will make it happen, and you don't need "dibs" to do it............