FS: Parasound Power Amp- PRICE DROP!

Cornwalled

Hey Guys,

My Dad has asked me to sell some extra audio gear of his, so I'm trying to find a home for his Parasound HCA-1000A power amp. It's a John Curl designed rackmountable amp, but it still has it's feet. It's 125Wx2 at 8 ohms, 200 X2 at 4, 400W bridged at 8 ohms.

More info can be found here: http://www.parasound.com/vintage/hca1000a.php

It's in very good shape, with only some minor scratches on it. It's been well taken care of, and used sparingly. I will try to get some pictures soon.

Almost forgot, he's asking $300, which I thought was pretty reasonable. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks a lot!

-Jon

EDIT: In light of the following posts, he has decided to drop the price to $200, which is DEFINITELY reasonable!

Price aside, Looks like a nice 2 channel amp.  

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Perhaps the best value in a Home THX Ultra-certified amplifier to be found anywhere. This John Curl-designed amplifier brings out all the subtle details of your music, yet still has the punch for the boldest crescendos and home cinema special-effects explosions. It also features automatic turn-on, making it ideal for home theaters and custom, multi-zone installations.

FEATURES

• Circuitry designed by John Curl
  • THX Ultra-certified
  • Direct Coupled -- no capacitors or inductors in signal path
  • Input stage uses hand matched complementary JFETs
  • 12 beta-matched 15 amp, 50 MHz bipolar output transistors
  • 785VA Toroid power transformer with independent secondary windings for each channel, 40,000 µF power supply filter capacitance
  • Independent power supplies for each channel
  • DC Servo and relay protection circuits
  • Highbias Class A/AB operation
  • AC present, standby/normal, current overload indicators
  • Tiffany-style RCA input jacks, loop output jacks
  • 12 volt DC automatic turn-on circuitry
  • Gold-plated 5 way speaker binding posts
  • Custom designed removable IEC AC cord
  • Rear mounted gain controls; ground lift switch 
  • 2 rack space height front panel
  • Rack mounting adapter available

SPECIFICATIONS

• Continuous Power Output - Stereo:
       125 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 O, both channels driven;
       200 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 O, both channels driven
  • Continuous Power Output - Mono:
       400 watts RMS, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 O
  • Current Capacity:
       45 amperes peak per channel
  • Slew Rate:
        >130 V/µsecond
  • Power Bandwith:
        5 Hz - 100 kHz, +0/-3 dB at 1 watt
  • Total Harmonic Distortion:
        < 0.03% at full power; < 0.01 % typical levels
  • IM Distortion:
        < 0.03 %
  • TIM:
       unmeasurable
  • Dynamic Headroom:
        > 1.5 dB
  • Interchannel Crosstalk:
        > 80 dB at 1 kHz; > 60 dB at 20 kHz
  • Input Sensitivity:
       1 V for 28.28 V, THX Reference Level; 1.1 V for full output
  • Input Impedance:  33 k O
  • S/N Ratio: > 116 dB, full power; > 96 dB, THX Reference Level
  • Damping Factor:
        > 800 at 20 Hz
  • Power Consumption:
       500 watts
  • Dimensions:
       w 17 1/4" x h 3 1/2" x d 13 1/4", h 4 1/8" with feet
  • Net Weight:
        22 lb

FAQ

Which set of jacks do I use to connect my preamp to my amp?

Although it looks like there are two sets of inputs on our stereo amplifiers, there is actually only one set. They are labeled INPUTS. The other set of connectors are labeled LOOPING OUTPUTS. These would be used to send the stereo signal on to another amplifier. Daisy chain several amps to run multiple pairs of speakers. Do not use the LOOPING OUTPUTS as an input.

What would sound better in my audiophile system? Two HCA-1000As in mono or one HCA-1500A in stereo?

The HCA-1500A run in stereo should sound better since it has MOSFETs in the driver stage. Better parts, smoother sound, more detail, etc.

Where should I set the volume controls on the back of my amp?

Under normal conditions you should turn them all the way to allow full power output from your amp. However, if you need to match the volume output of one of our stereo amps with another brand (BiAmping) you could adjust them accordingly.

Will these amps handle a four ohm speaker while the two channels are bridged to MONO?

No. Remember amps bridged to mono will "see" half the impedance the speaker is actually presenting. Sustained 2 Ohm loads are not advisable with any Parasound amplifier.

How many pairs of speakers can I run off a single stereo amplifier?

Usually we recommend you only run one pair of speakers, either 8 ohm or 4 ohm. For the safest multi pair installation, you could use a speaker switching box, like our SPS-140, to safely handle the load the speakers will present. Plus it will give you more control over which pairs are playing.

What does the "A" stand for at the end of the model name?

Auto-turn on. It means these amplifiers have 12V triggers that allow a preamp to activate them remotely. Some kind of
triggering device is necessary for 12V activation.

Hello,

Just curious, what you mean by price aside?  Forgive my social ignorance, but are you implying that it's a bad price, or a good one? LOL.

-Jon 

Price aside, Looks like a nice 2 channel amp.

2 of them sold on ebay within the last 10 days for less than 210 each.

Wow, that's surprising. That would seem to make it the value leader in high end power amps, as it really sounds phenomenal. I've used it with my Cornwalls for several months and been VERY happy with it. It's really built like a tank. I guess it's just not as well known as some.

-Jon

All you need to do is check ebay for completed auctions.  One sold for 203, the other for 207.  Parasound stuff sells pretty cheap on ebay.

Who knows, with a good story line, maybe you can sell it on ebay with a buy it now price close to what you are asking.

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP!

I'm surprised nobody's jumped at this yet. Just to increase awareness, I edited the first post to mention the price drop. Hope somebody is interested in this, otherwise it goes off to ebay or Audiogon.

-Jon

When it comes to common electronics like SS amps which we all probably have too many of anyway, the forum usually only jumps when something is offered at a nice discount to what it could be had for on Ebay or Agon. If I can buy it on Ebay for $207, there's not much incentive to buy yours. Pictures help too.

If the price is the same as E-bay, wouldn't you still rather buy from a forum member than some stranger on e-pay? I would much rather deal with a forum member.......but that's just me I guess......and this is a tough time of year for selling audio gear, unless your giving it away.Hold on to it until Fall and try again..........better market Fall, and Winter...........

a thousand times YES!...I have never been disappointed by a brother or sister on the forum...on the 'bay and the 'gon, yes...and those places do nothing to help...at least here, three geeks with slide rules might show up at the home of the "bad seller"...[;)]

Bill

.at least here, three geeks with slide rules might show up at the home of the "bad seller"...[;)]

The image of three slide rulers ...... uh...never mind... it's not a pretty sight

I guess the silver lining of that is any offender would know to the thousandth, how big a sphincter he was?

[:|]

If the price is the same as E-bay, wouldn't you still rather buy from a forum member than some stranger on e-pay? I would much rather deal with a forum member.......but that's just me I guess.....

I could'nt get Bucky's comments out of my head so I came back to say I agree with him.

If something has a fair market value then I personally don't mind paying that FMV to a forum member and as such, I do NOT expect any kind of "forum discount". Frankly, I don't see why it's fair to the seller to take anything LESS than FMV "just because" it's perhaps going to a forum member.

If he CHOOSES to do so, then that's his perrogative but as a function of decorum, I personally don't agree with that logic. I was once going to buy something off a forum member...this was years ago when I very first joined. As I recall they had it on ebay and a reserve price with no BIN. I would have been HAPPY to pay what ever their price was with NO "forum member" considerations. They (understandably) wanted the best price they could get for it so ultimately, didn't sell it to me. They sold it for (forget) "X" number of dollars and I would have been happy to pay that amount. I found value in that I knew who the seller was and more imporantly, felt I "knew" the background of the item had integrity.

I found it interesting that they felt compelled to NOT sell it to me at FMV when I would have been happy to do so.

I think transacting with forum members offers another benefit OTHER than selling a bit cheaper... you have an idea of the person you are dealing with and their integrity. For me, that alone is worth at least $10.00. (or if dealing with Buckster, maybe $8.50 [:^)] )

If a member chooses to offer a local discount, that's their choice for what ever reasons they choose to do so but to suggest it's somewhat of a matter of protocol to do so...doesn't sit right with me.

Think about it... if you are willing to sell something that's worth $100, why "should" you take $85 for it just because you sell it to a member here? (again, if you CHOOSE to do so, that's different than feeling obligated to do so)

Take my Jubilees... if I were to put them on Ebay and they sold for say, $5,000... would I have to offer them here for say, $4,500 just because?

.at least here, three geeks with slide rules might show up at the home of the "bad seller"...[;)]

The image of three slide rulers ...... uh...never mind... it's not a pretty sight

I guess the silver lining of that is any offender would know to the thousandth, how big a sphincter he was?

[:|]

That would be calipers, not slide rules, but you're right, really not a pretty sight...

Take my Jubilees... if I were to put them on Ebay and they sold for say, $5,000... would I have to offer them here for say, $4,500 just because?

Yes.

I think the point is the human trigger / response issue.

Would a common item sell here for a common price...maybe..but it usally takes a lot of endorsements by other forum members...tough to do with an SS amp...the used equipment crowd is pretty much tube gear oreinted.

So what would it take to pull the trigger on something like this....I'm not looking for an SS amp...but I'd pay a 100 bucks for it....I'm sure I can find someone that can use it...and yeah...that means give it away....it would sit in my garage til then.

Most of the stuff I have in the SS 100 watt 2 channel criteria has been given away or donated to goodwill. Got plenty of reciepts for SAE equipment, AKAI 10" reel to reel's, Hersey II's, Onkyo, Sony, and other stuff.

If I can get more than 150 for used gear I'll try to sell it. But if the sale only brings 150 or less, and it is a normal consumer item, I don't bother, I just donate it to goodwill or salvation army if no one I know can use it.