RF-7's VS. RF-83's

HI Klipsch_dan

I have the RF 83's and soon the RF 7 side by side ( last RF 7 should be here next week)
I really did not need the RF 7's but I was dying to compare them to the 83's which I will do as soon as I finish the break in period
However I can already tell you that the RF 83's are very easy to drive with middle of road amps and producing outstanding bass.
For what has been discussed in this forum the RF 7 needs high quality gear to really come alive.
On a personal note I think the RF 83 has a more pleasing look not as massive as the RF 7. Both speakers need to be few feet away from the wall  but since the rf 83  has more lenght it may not work for a medium size room 

Just the kind of replies I am looking for, so far it seems the RF-83 has the edge, I was not sure they would be up to it in the bass department. I really like the looks of both speakers. I will be driving either set with SS or a dynaco ST-70. Hopefu;;y this will bring good results.

If you already owned RF-7's, it wouldn't be worthwhile to move to the 83's. But if you were buying new I would definitely go with the 83's. The new tweeter is definitely cleaner. Overall the 83 has less harsh in the mids, and though slightly less noticeable bass, it is much smoother down low (more accurate perhaps?).

• 10 months later...

Okay, so I've been tearing my hair out in my decision process regarding the 7s and the 83's. I owned the RF-7s but UPS got to them. I've been researching as musch as possible with a primary focus on Klipsch's forum. I know my input is tardy but I figure better late than never and it might even benifit someone else starting a similar pursuit as my own! Firstly, I must say that Klipsch's customer service and following is amazing. I've dealt with too many consumerist driven companies that think responsibiltiy belongs to everyone else but them; its nice to get a breath of fresh air! Its for this reason in junction with quality (and sound) that I am commited to supporting Klipsch and other companies alike. Sorry for that tangent but even the big people need encouragement sometimes! With that in mind, I finally found a great Klipsch dealer in Canada and got to audition the 83s in a proper environment (quality equipment, good room, broken in speakers, etc). They were pushed by a new Pioneer Elite. Wow, they sounded hot! The most noticable improvement was the mids. They pounded. I had my 7s pushed by some Marantz integrated equipment so I didn't have an AB comparison but it makes sense that the mids would be improved due to the triple eights and different crossover and horn. It was more refined but still had that great forward bite. I also liked the grill improvement but it was strange getting used to the thinner cabinets! I know there is preference involved here but it seems that these were improvements as far the quality of sound being reproduced here. I used my standard Dave Matthews Crash disk in the audition since I know it like the back of my hand. They also hit the loud volumes Klipsch is known for which wasn't a big surprise. The build quality also seemed improved. I should know, I've seen every piece of the RF-7 since it was busted apart by UPS. Although I didn't see the inside of the 83 I inspected it thoroughly as if we were on a honeymoon. I think I made the dealer a bit uncomfortable at that point! I still love the 7s and repect what they offer and I would say that inspite of the specs they sound as if they go a bit lower than the 83s but that might be gear or room related. Or it could be due to a more present mid bass blend with changes my perception of the low end reach. In retrospect, they are amazing and I now own them along with an Emotiva MMC-1 and XPA-5. Yeah baby.

Ok the naming of the RF83s are based on the 3, 8 inch woofers. The RF7s if they were named in the same convention would be RF102s. Now which sounds better to you?

You Sir are a mathmagician,Top Notch.

The 83s were nice,I kept the 7s but could be very happy w/83s.

The 83's sound good, but I don't like them as much as I do the RF-7's. The midrange of the 83's sounded a little recessed to me, and they aren't the dynamic monsters that the 7's are.

X2

The 83's sound nice and snappy to my ears.......but not as bold and *** kicking as the 7's. Perhaps taste in music would dictate the decision between the two.

My ideal speaker might be an RF-7 with 12" woofers and a horn to match accordingly for rock music..........in the meantime, two 10's are doing just fine though. [:D]

Interesting comments. The question I would ask is what type of gear pushed the 83s in your auditions? I would say the opposite about the midrange on the 83s Dean. It sounds more forward to me. When I say midrange I'm talking 120 hz -1 khz. I still love the RF-7s forward sound though which has got to be attributed to the larger/different horn. I'm not sure the 7s would have much of a midrange with 12" woofers! Jeez! Don't they go low enough for you!?

The 83's sound good, but I don't like them as much as I do the RF-7's. The midrange of the 83's sounded a little recessed to me, and they aren't the dynamic monsters that the 7's are.

X2

The 83's sound nice and snappy to my ears.......but not as bold and *** kicking as the 7's. Perhaps taste in music would dictate the decision between the two.

My ideal speaker might be an RF-7 with 12" woofers and a horn to match accordingly for rock music..........in the meantime, two 10's are doing just fine though. Big Smile

Sounds like you would like the Legend speakers. http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/klf-30.aspx