Bonds passes Aaron

jacksonbart

Mas,

I'm not so sure there is a whole lot of passion expressed in this thread. I consider the whole thing to be a joke. I posted my desire that now that this is over with ESPN will no longer be forcing it down our throats (wishful thinking I know). Most here have opinions on the subject but overall it doesn't appear to be too energized. What Barroid did or did not do I say "Meh".

Your take on sports figure role models and what should be happening at home to create a healthy world view is right on.

There is little in this thread to indicate that anyone commenting here is finding meaning or orienting their life around sports. It is just a minor discussion on an internet forum.

- Jim

Jim, the reference to 'meaning and values' was wry hyperbole in reference to the previously expressed dismay over sports figures as kids' role models!

I find the entire subject akin to debating the pros and cons of the antics of Paris Hilton. I suppose it would have more meaning if I cared. [:D]

To me the only question I have is why they choose to use the stuff...

They don't need steroids. They're already playing at a level 99 percent

of all human beings want to be at. They've made the cut. They are still paid millions of dollars. Why do they

want to push the limit and damage their bodies?

But then I would be lying if I said it was an authentic concern on my part.

In a larger context, the irony is so many of my comments, as in the Michael Vick non-issue, are dominated by a dry humor interpreted by so many erudite folks to be intended with absolute seriousness...as the humor sails over their indignant heads. So while several in that thread were responding to the discomfort of their wadded panties, I (and a few others with whom I am conversant) were laughing as they totally misconstrued the meaning of the posts. "Oh well" he said with a big grin and hummed a few bars of the song of the same title...[;)]

To me the only question I have is why they choose to use the stuff...

They don't need steroids. They're already playing at a level 99 percent of all human beings want to be at. They've made the cut. They are still paid millions of dollars. Why do they want to push the limit and damage their bodies?

good question. a few years ago, i heard of a study that was done which olympic athletes were asked if they would be assured of winning a gold medal, but they would die 10 years sooner would they do it. something like 85% of the athletes said they'd take 10 years off their lifespan to get the gold medal. if that is the mindset of an elite athlete, then i don't want to be at that level.

What I'm saying is, Bonds is fun to watch. I'd venture to guess the steroids issue wouldn't be so big a deal for some here if he were on another (i.e."their") team.

i think you're right. i'll admit, i'm a giants fan living in the land of the dodgers. the bay area is my original home though--although my family hails from america's most beautiful and safest city...oakland. i'm a raider fan also; but one of the few memories i have of my dad was him sitting on the patio drinking a coke and listening to the giants on the radio. when the a's and the giants met in the world series, i found myself rooting for the giants.

BigStewMan,

Good memory! I remember my Grandpa laying on his bed napping, with two radios playing two separate games. When we'd wake him up, he could tell you what had been happening, in both games! He was a huge sports fan. I still have some of his scorecards from the early 50's!

What I'm saying is, Bonds is fun to watch. I'd venture to guess the steroids issue wouldn't be so big a deal for some here if he were on another (i.e."their") team.

i think you're right. i'll admit, i'm a giants fan living in the land of the dodgers. the bay area is my original home though--although my family hails from america's most beautiful and safest city...oakland. i'm a raider fan also; but one of the few memories i have of my dad was him sitting on the patio drinking a coke and listening to the giants on the radio. when the a's and the giants met in the world series, i found myself rooting for the giants.

Raider nation will rise again!

You know, bottom line, baseball is the quitessential American game. Perfect in it's dimensions, exqiusite in it's play. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. As satisfying as any musical composition, for sure. I am in awe...

Maybe twenty years from now. Not anytime soon, however.

Carl.

Carl.

Won't take that long, it will turn around as soon as Al Davis steps aside. I don't think he has another 20 years left in him.

Carl.

carl--i know it's preseason; but august 24th raiders-v-rams. my wife told me last year, "you're the one that chose to be a raider fan." i told her that i didn't chose it--i was born there, a part of raider nation by birth. ah, to drive up to that big, gray cement structure makes my heart stop beating, oh wait, maybe it was the gunfire that did that?

Carl.

Won't take that long, it will turn around as soon as Al Davis steps aside. I don't think he has another 20 years left in him.

As long as he keeps drinking the blood of children he'll live forever.

post-17373-13819340029922_thumb.jpg