Bonds passes Aaron

jacksonbart

So what do you think? I mean he is a great hitter, great power. But really where does he stand. IMO, it sucks, as I wish the League would have either said "You know what he is guilty" or "He is innocent" before he broke the record. Now that he has its so much more complicated.

Right off the get go I'm not a Bonds fan at all. I had hoped he'd fallen on his face and not broken the record. If it had to be broke I wish it had been someone I could have looked up to. It's hard to cheer for a guy like him.

But...He has the record and it is his. I put it in the same catagory as Pete Rose. His behavior was wrong but a record is a record. History will tell the tale as best as can be told.

Should he have been allowed to play? The league is the governing body and has made the decision to let him. Allegations is all they are until things change.

McGuire would probably be facing the same type of allegations if he hadn't "hung up the glove". "Legal substance"? It's been banned since he retired. He played within the rules and didn't try to weasel out of it when asked.

Harry

That was pretty lousy of him not to thank Victor Conti and Greg Anderson during the ceremony with Hank and Willie.

On the bright side, the Giants lost and the ball was caught by a non-Giants fan. That made me happy.

Now can we stop having to watch this sideshow that puts the crappy Giants into everyone's home?

Thank God that ESPN can now get down to the business of obsessing about the NFL's pre-season during baseball's pennant races.

- Jim

Right off the get go I'm not a Bonds fan at all. I had hoped he'd fallen on his face and not broken the record. If it had to be broke I wish it had been someone I could have looked up to. It's hard to cheer for a guy like him.

But...He has the record and it is his. I put it in the same catagory as Pete Rose. His behavior was wrong but a record is a record. History will tell the tale as best as can be told.

Should he have been allowed to play? The league is the governing body and has made the decision to let him. Allegations is all they are until things change.

McGuire would probably be facing the same type of allegations if he hadn't "hung up the glove". "Legal substance"? It's been banned since he retired. He played within the rules and didn't try to weasel out of it when asked.

Harry

Correct me if I'm wrong but Pete Rose as a player earned every milestone he reached fair and square.

"Correct me if I'm wrong but Pete Rose as a player earned every milestone he reached fair and square."

As far as I know "Charlie Hustle" played fair.(unless he threw the games for the bucks) But remember who actually knows. The steroid issue has been around for decades. I'm agreement with you. I was referring to the MLB Commissioners' decisions or lack of decisions reguarding individual cases. IMHO, Bonds should have been banned and not get the "Star Player" exemption. Of course my opinion counts for nothing and after all, I don't know all the facts. I'm not the TV stations selling advertising, the owner wanting larger gate receipts, or sponsors milking the cash cows over shoes, cereal, clothing, or other marketable items. I don't like it that he is now the one holding the record. In track and field the "Medals or rewards" would be stripped. Just as in most sports, eg, cycling, olympics, etc. It is a behavior that is not tolerated except where big bucks sports are concerned.

Is Pacman Jones going to be allowed to play? Vick is down but not out totally. Star players get the "white glove" treatment. (Darrell Strawberry, Lawrence Taylor, Michael Irvin, just to mention a couple that come to mind)

It's little wonder the kids of today have a problem with right and wrong. Bad examples should not be heroes, but put in the "proper" limelight they deserve. Steroids are not only banned, but illegal. Bad image for pro sports to tolerate these unlawful behaviors. Then again, the golden rule comes into play. Those with the gold make the rules. Be it right or wrong.

Harry

Barry Bonds is no different than all the other players. It's a level playing field. They are all taking stuff. I used to care more about the controversy than I do now. It's just part of all sports in general these days...of course it is not good at all.

But......the ball does not go over the fence on its own. He hit all those home runs and I for one do not believe that steroids can make you a better hitter. I say that the record belongs to Barry Bonds fair and square. It's remarkable, and I have no sour grapes...whether he took steroids or not.

Congrats Barry.

"But......the ball does not go over the fence on its own. He hit all those home runs and I for one do not believe that steroids can make you a better hitter. I say that the record belongs to Barry Bonds fair and square. It's remarkable, and I have no sour grapes...whether he took steroids or not."

Bonds is a great hitter. No doubt. The doubt I have is; how many of those "homers" would have been routine pop flies, line drives into the wall, or just plain "base hits" without the steroids. There is no doubt the extra strength due to steroids makes homers out of routine bat contact.

Harry

Barry Bonds is no different than all the other players. It's a level playing field. They are all taking stuff. I used to care more about the controversy than I do now. It's just part of all sports in general these days...of course it is not good at all.

But......the ball does not go over the fence on its own. He hit all those home runs and I for one do not believe that steroids can make you a better hitter. I say that the record belongs to Barry Bonds fair and square. It's remarkable, and I have no sour grapes...whether he took steroids or not.

Congrats Barry.

i agree the playing field was equal. people generally think of only the hitters being juiced; but there are some future hall of fame pitchers that are suspect, guys that are suddenly throwing harder with age. i also don't blame him for being the way he is with the media (to a point). i don't think you ever should be rude to someone; however he grew up watching his dad give everything to baseball, attend every charity event where he was requested--and he did that at the expense of his family. then his dad gets a drinking problem and everyone turns their back on him and the media starts slamming him. james brown (espn) did an interview with bonds several years ago, barry said he watched them turn on his dad and vowed that he'd never let them get that close to him. they did the same thing to other players as well. in the 70s, steve carlton stopped talking to reporters because they started saying he had a drinking problem, willie stargell was booed on willie stargell day in pittsburgh. i can't blame any athlete that wants to limit their contact with the media--they're seem to only want "tabloid" stuff these days.

Bonds is hardly a poster child in terms of his behavior. He seems to always have his son around him even in the dugout and his family was thier when he broke the record, in fact hats off to the SF Giant's for putting that whole celebration together when he broke the record, the people responsible did a classy job. The two non baseball allegations I have heard is that he cheated on his wife and his taxes. My take is that Babe Ruth's behavior was much worse and would not have been tolorated today. He did some great things but also some very stupid things. That is why you can see Hank Aaron really as the complete package to some extent, a good on and off field persona. I agree, unless there is definitive proof that is present by the commission then his record stands, but I mean shoot, where there is smoke there is usually fire and Bonds is smoking.

"But......the ball does not go over the fence on its own. He hit all those home runs and I for one do not believe that steroids can make you a better hitter. I say that the record belongs to Barry Bonds fair and square. It's remarkable, and I have no sour grapes...whether he took steroids or not."

Bonds is a great hitter. No doubt. The doubt I have is; how many of those "homers" would have been routine pop flies, line drives into the wall, or just plain "base hits" without the steroids. There is no doubt the extra strength due to steroids makes homers out of routine bat contact.

Harry

How many times did Bonds strike out, or hit a grounder because the pitcher was able to throw harder due to using steroids? How many times was Bonds robbed of a home run because the fielder was able to run faster and jump higher than usual due to using steroids?

It never ends. The days of everyone being like good 'ole Hank are over.

I'm proud to be a huge Bonds fan. I'm in awe of his ability to focus so intently when he's in the box. You hardly ever see him lose his cool. How many homers would he have if pitchers and managers hadn't walked him so much. He holds the career record for walks at 2,540. 679 were intentional, in 9,776 at-bats. In comparison, Aaron had 1,402 walks, 293 intentional in 12,364 at-bats. Bonds has a great eye, man. And that swing! We are fortunate to be witness to one of the greatest players of all time.

I'm proud to be a huge Bonds fan. I'm in awe of his ability to focus so intently when he's in the box. You hardly ever see him lose his cool. How many homers would he have if pitchers and managers hadn't walked him so much. He holds the career record for walks at 2,540. 679 were intentional, in 9,776 at-bats. In comparison, Aaron had 1,402 walks, 293 intentional in 12,364 at-bats. Bonds has a great eye, man. And that swing! We are fortunate to be witness to one of the greatest players of all time.

Youre absolutely right to a degree, his "regardless of all the steroid talk" in the top 5 hitters of all time. The guy is amazing athlete pure and simple, but steroids can make you better. Yes if I took them all that would happen is my balls would shrink, but it will make a difference to a highly honed athlete when greatness is determined by shades of gray in greatness terms. I love baseball and its history, not all of it is great, as it reflects much of our own country's issues, but still there is a lot to love. Bonds is a great hitter IMO, whether he should have over taken Aaron though?...I am in doubt. I wish the commissioner was much brighter and the players union not so strong. If you think he is completly clean then I think your soaking in it.

this sports announcer the other night said that some of the greats of yesteryear like willie mays, mike schmidt, (i can't recall the others he mentioned) have all said that they would have taken whatever was available to them like the players today do. maybe we just don't understand the mindset of the professional athlete enough. a friend of mine knows some pro football players and they told him that walking onto the field with tens of thousands people cheering for them gives them a high like a drug--and they get addicted to that attention. maybe that is why these people take stuff to get better or play longer?