Help! Need help identifying type of Klipsch Heresys bought at yard sale

Upstart555

Welcome Mark. If anything I would expect the heresy's to be too forward, the bass should be be pretty tight and clean using SS gear. Many don't like what they call the lack of bass on these guys but I'm not a bass fanatic and consider the bass they put out to be nice and tight. I wouldn't worry about tubes yet.

First I would play with placement. I've found them to be very fussy about this. Start them about 7 feet apart about 18" out from the wall and move in and out, side to side from there. Also play with toeing them in and out towards your listening position. If they are on risers, take the risers off. If no risers you may want to try sticking a couple of books under the front to get them angled up around 2 or 3 inches and if you like that then you can build or buy risers.

Also the caps are probably far along so you'll probably want to replace them (cheap, email Bob Crites/BEC on this forum). At some point or if you get more ambitious do the xover build outlined above. Almost forgot to add, use your balance control and check all 3 drivers on the each speaker one at a time to make sure they are all working and output is roughly the same. Also give them some break in time. If they haven't been used a long time they will open up with some hours on them.

I had the good fortune of having both 1's and 2's in my house and could a/b them. while I preferred the 1's overall with a little time and attention the 2's should sound just fine.

My son has a set of Heresies while I have a set of Heresy IIs. Both sound great to me, although I personally like the HIIs better, and think they are more balanced. Love the bass on mine, which have been powered by tubes and SS. Currently using an old H/K 430 receiver on them and the sound is good. I think the balance is probably a bit better at higher volumes, but I usually only get to 90db peaks.

Just listen for a while and mess with the placement.

Bruce

Excuse me for asking but, grasshopper here would like to know what "caps" are. Maybe even a picture would be nice. I think that I would like to replace these things to get even better sound....and maybe learn a little bit in the process. I'm starting to get interested in learning more about the ins and outs of speakers. Wish there was a book you could buy that would teach all about these things like "crossover" etc which is just jargon to to me.

Thebes,

I just did the check you recommended and the mid horn the one speaker is not working at all. So I looked inside and saw that both the wires from the mid horn were disconnected. Mind you this is on my Heresy 1's that I got on Ebay a while back. Can anyone tell me where the wire with black stripe goes, terminal one or two on the horn.?

I totally understand what you're saying. Heresys are interesting speakers but as others have said, they do need some help on the bottom end to balance things out IF that's the sound you prefer. If you aren't used to horn-loaded, efficient speakers, they will sound a bit strange. OTOH, if you happened upon a pair of Cornwalls, I believe your comments would be a significantly different. I always loved my Heresys but they are the babies of the Heritage line and were initailly designed as a center speaker to put between a pair of Cornwalls or Khorns for a 3-way setup (a LONG time ago).

Congrats on a great deal and welcome to the forum.

Sorry Mark. caps are capacitors and they dry out of time (15 years or so)and drift out of original specifications. On the 1's with the E (?) network there are only two of them and they simple to replace if you buy new ones and know how to do minimal soldering. If not ,you can remove the crossover entirely (it's only a couple of screws ) and send them to BEC for a bit more money and have him do the work.

If you can take a picture of the what particular crossover you have we'll be able to tell you how to hook it up correctly. Of course, if it came from ebay the wires may have been disconnected on purpose, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

• 10 months later...

Hi, I am newby here too...been a long time Klipsch fan but only recently was able to acquire a couple pairs of Klipsch speakers also from yard sales.

I have a pair of Cornwall 2's I absolutly love and am hoping to someday be able to get some Khorns.

I have 2 questions about a pair of Heresy speakers I am trying to hook up, what do I need to attach the wires...there are 4 holes with 2 short threaded posts.

I also am trying to date them, seriel numbers 3H123 and 3H124,

Thanks for the help!

Ed

hi Ed, welcome to the forum. the H = 1969

as far as hooking them up and if i understand what you are saying here go's. the top 2 holes are used to attach from the inside of the cabinet. i think the right side is painted red and the left side is black. the bottom to holes should have 2 screws about 1/4 long to hook up your wires.

• 3 weeks later...