Khorns with Krell or Theta?

zork52

Someone from Home Theater thread steered me this way.

I'm looking at some SS upgrades and wondering if anyone is using the Krell line of components or Theta with their Khorns?

I'm looking for my all in one system. Music and Movies.

If so, what did they replace and are you happy?

Anyone?

Do you have either right now? Love the one you're with. If not, get whichever comes first with a good deal. Or forget those and go sunfire and experiment with either current or voltage outputs.

You could always make the tube guys happy and buy as many tube monoblocks as you need for the channels you are running. Hope you have a great air conditioner and high electric bill budget for that option though.

I have an older Krell home theater preamp (HTS) in my HT system, and I enjoy it immensely.

The Krell sound is not for everyone (some will say it's not "tubey" enough), and likes/tastes are likes/tastes and all of that. But I find the Krell presentation to be excellent for HT applications in particular - the impactful sound of Krell suits HT very well. Krell bass in HT is just awesome....and the rest of the spectrum is pretty good, too.

I was a bit dissatisfied with the 2 channel performance of the kit, but installed a very good pair of tube amps to the main two channels and find it to be MUCH better. The addition of the tube amps added a bit more smoothness for music apps (and using the disc player's digital out to the Krell digital in worked out very well), while maintaing the impact of Krell in the overall.

Krell isn't for everyone, much like the Grateful Dead.....and licorice. Not everyone likes licorice, but those who do REALLY like it.

I do recommend hearing Krell, even if not with Klipsch, just to get a feel for what it's like.

I also have an all tube vintage McIntosh system in another room, so that fills my craving for the tube side of things. I like both systems for different strengths and reasons.

Theta enjoys an excellent reputation, but I have no personal experience with it.

Thanks for replies to all. I know what everyone says about the tubes and was getting real close to trying a Butler, but would really like SS. I've heard the Krell TAS in the store powering some Thiel 7.2's which are pretty power hungry and it did a good job.....

I have seen in person, but also somehow intrigued by Theta Digital and the Dreadnuaght amps.

I'm trying to be careful and do it right just one more time.................

Someone from Home Theater thread steered me this way.

I'm looking at some SS upgrades and wondering if anyone is using the Krell line of components or Theta with their Khorns?

I'm looking for my all in one system. Music and Movies.

If so, what did they replace and are you happy?

Anyone?

I'm running an all krell line up in my HTS, purchased it about 4 years ago. Running dual cornwalls for center, pair of khorns for front surround and 4 more cornwalls bring up the side and rear surrounds. Velodyne 15" sub. I do enjoy the krell very much when watching movies, but for music, I much prefer the sound of tubes, no doubt.