Klipsch now makes headphones

dtel

• Moderators

We had a chance to listen to them in Indy, I have never heard headphones that had bass that sounded this good !

When we tried them on I was thinking "I don't really care for headphones" especially the ones that go in your ears.

Everything was very clear and open sounding and the bass was really nice, how something so small, that it fits in your ear can sound so ? large?

And I was a little surprised how comfortable they were. You really forgot you were wearing them after a minute or two.

I have never had a very good quality pair of headphones, for those that have, and heard them in Indy how did you think the new Klipsch sounded ?

dtel

I don't really like headphones either but I listen quite a bit on Grado SR60 on my Creative Labs mp3 player at work. The Grado SR60 are a lot of audio reviewers favorite inexpensive 'phones ($69). I never thought I'd buy any other brand of headphones but the demo at the Pilgrimage changed my mind. The plug got damaged (or was maybe bad to begin with but the kids stepped on it in our miniman) and I was going to replace it and spoke to John Grado when I called to find out which wire was left, right, and ground and where to get an 1/8" headphone jack to fit the cable as I found the Radio Shack plug I'd purchased wouldn't accomodate the cable. John convinced me to send them in and they were repaired and shipped back within a week. Seemed like great customer service to me as I only paid for the shipping and was sure the kids stepping on them had something to do with the problem. And I believe they're still made in the US.

The earphones Klipsch demo'd at the Pilgrimage did sound fantastic to my tin ears. I also hate the kind that stick in one's ears though in all fairness I've not really tried any of those except of cheap ones that came with portable CD or cassette players. That said, the other in the ear brands available at the Pilgrimage didn't even look comfortable so I couldn't bring myself to put them in my ears. The Klipsch were surprisingly comfortable.

I listened to Michaels demo cuts on the Klipsch earphones and thought he put together some great tracks.

I think I'll have to get a pair when they come out. Given I have no real budget for such things it'll probably be the lower end model but should be a dramatic step up from my SR60s and much more comfortable. Of course the Klipsch are really earphones so Grado may be the only headphone brand I'll buy (other than cheap one's for the kids and I did get them a pair of Grado SR40s a few years back). The girls' like the in the ear type of 'phones so I may have to hide 'em from them until I can afford some for them.

I doubt that I won't be able to get the way cool tiny ones which is what I listened to the most but the larger version I tried sounded really good as well and should work good for working outside. I took my mp3 with to paint soccer fields with some Koss Porta Pro II and they weren't any more comfortable than the SR60s and didn't sound near as good. Way too hot and they're a lot smaller than the Grados.

I think the Klipsch 'phones will be a winner if they can get enough people to try them. Get a few Hollywood types spotted with the various models, especially the micro sized one and they should sell like crazy.... I'd think that could also introduce people to the Klipsch brand. If the Klipch you can hold in your hand sounds this good, think how good the big Heritage series speakers must sound.

Ben

• Moderators

just what i need for my failing hearing--headphones.

You would be surprised, my hearing is not so good to say the least. If I am anywhere without much noise I can easily hear my ears ringing from the quiet ! [:(] Not from music, from loud jobs many years ago..

But with the head/earphones I could hear things I have not heard in a while. Normally I have to turn it up to hear the higher frequencies with speakers. But when I wore the earphones I could hear everything especially at low volume that was what surprised me the most, the full sound at very low levels.

I could listen to these much much lower than could in room speakers and hear all the detail, and its not like I listen to bose speakers at home. [:D]

Dtel, I'm not sure if you can provide a more descriptive analysis of the sound that the Klipsch headphones delivered. I was given the chance to listen to a pair of bose over the ear headphones about a year ago. They were relatively comfortable, sounded decent though not great. While listening through these I felt the music was playing in my head versus into my ear, if that makes sense. However, dynamics etc were quite run of the mill. I don't listen through headphones at all, though I can be very brand loyal if and when I to purchase for myself or a significant other.

just what i need for my failing hearing--headphones.

You would be surprised, my hearing is not so good to say the least. If I am anywhere without much noise I can easily hear my ears ringing from the quiet ! [:(] Not from music, from loud jobs many years ago..

But with the head/earphones I could hear things I have not heard in a while. Normally I have to turn it up to hear the higher frequencies with speakers. But when I wore the earphones I could hear everything especially at low volume that was what surprised me the most, the full sound at very low levels.

I could listen to these much much lower than could in room speakers and hear all the detail, and its not like I listen to bose speakers at home. [:D]

turning down the volume is something that i think i'm going to have to learn to do. i'm a stubborn person that doesn't seem to pay much attention to something until it reaches the crisis level. with the loss of hearing, constant very loud ringing in my ears, and this annoying "whooshing" sound also in ears--it really has gotten my attention. My CAT scan came back normal; but, since I have that "whooshing" pulsating sound the doctor wants an MRI also--I have that on saturday.

Guest Kevin Pletcher

We made the front page of Engadget today! [Y]

Yes, I also thought this was very exciting as Engadget is a very popular website. If you haven't read the article yet - check it out!

Here is a link to the actual article:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/30/klipschs-image-earphones-deemed-worlds-smallest/

Also, for you Digg users, Digg the story up!
http://www.digg.com/gadgets/World_s_Smallest_Lightest_Earphones

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/30/klipschs-image-earphones-deemed-worlds-smallest/''>http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/30/klipschs-image-earphones-deemed-worlds-smallest/' mce_href="http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/30/klipschs-image-earphones-deemed-worlds-smallest/">

I too was able to give these a listen last summer. My son has been saving up to get a pair since he heard them at Indy.

These headphones are like no other I know about. They do not use drivers, and are more like hearing aids than conventional headphones. They will not fatigue or overdrive your eardrum.

Where can we buy them? We want them NOW[:D]

JM

• 3 weeks later...

guys, feel free to post your experiences with Klipsch IE headphones on any of the blogs you might see regarding these products...[Y]

Hi, new member here, but long time Klipsch fan.

I went ahead and made a thread at the famous headphone enthusiasts forum, Head-Fi, about the Custom Series (I made one previously about the IMAGE earphones too) and the hype is beginning to grow. You can check it out here.

• Moderators

Thanks for posting that link! It's great to hear we're getting some buzz.

I have to say it again, I just love my prototype Image earphones. I can wear them for a long time without feeling like my ears are burning from something being in them. Plus they sound great... My neighbor here in marketing has been sampling the custom-3s, and he won't quit raving about how awesome they are. He's downright obnoxious about it. [:)]