Heresy ReCap Letdown!

skywave-rider

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I haven't been back in a while so I think I owe everyone, at least, a re-cap, (can't believe I said that.)

Better yet a beer.

Additional problems with the speakers came up in the interim, and to make a long story short:

Cleaned the terminal strips with Caig DeOxit and D5ProGold. I also soldered all spade connectors. This cured intermettents and helped a great deal as you could imagine.

Changed the Theta caps out to a set of Aerovox (recent stock) oil filled caps. This helped a great deal as well.

Removed the K-77s and replaced with a set of Bob Crites tweeters. This changed the character of the speakers enormously. The imaging is now good and I have a for-real stable phantom image. Thanks, Bob for the good product.

I have the speakers where I want them now and use them constantly. I MIGHT put the Thetas back in now that the Crites tweeters are in, just to hear what happens. This tweeter extends the top end but reduces the output in the 5-9kHz region, to my ear. So the Heresies are very smooth and warm, though still punchy.

Thanks to all. I will be around; but right now I am trying to sort out a recently purchased set of Altec 9844-8bs.

My Altec crossover breadboard

icon-quote.gif
DeanG:

I'm confused Michael. You say you agree with Dennis, and then continue as if you don't. Dennis said "The original caps were all dried up and reducing the mids and highs, and the 33µF wasn't cutting the mids from the woofer. With the new caps it probably sounds like it did new, a bit 'hot' in the mids and highs." He then posted a thread on how to reduce the squawker and tweeter output to bring the top into better balance with the woofer. If you agree with his assessment, then an A/B comparison is unecessary -- unless one wants to argue that if a speaker with bad capacitors sounds better to you, you should leave it that way. I think it's better to build with great parts, and then work with placement and the room.

You are correct Dean, that was a bit confusing. To further clarify, according to our poster's initial reaction, Dennis's reasoning sounds theoretically correct. i.e. that could be what was being heard. I only meant to say that a true A/B comparison would have probably further exemplified the difference. Auditory memory is very short. Even Bro Mike Crites could not change out a network quick enough to make a valid before/after comparison (no offense Mike). That is why I feel we owe it to our sense of scientific method to do the comparison.

It has to do with validation and learning from the experience. I would argue, like Mike, that one learns a lot less without the A/B comparison.

Right, I should have added that TDS and TEF measurements before listening are critical. Get those Heyser Spirals in front of you before you do anything, and for God's sake, don't forget the waterfall plots. Finally, make sure you account for the Hass Effect, and after you get it all dialed in -- don't move your head while listening -- ever.

I totally understand your humor Dean, but I can't help but point out that the purpose of those tools is to make fixing problems easier. In fact, I would even argue that these tools are extremely simple to use.

Trying to make fun of them is kinda dissapointing really. Perhaps you have some kind of experience with these tools and the problems they are trying to fix that I don't know about? I would love to hear from someone that can say they've used the tools and can describe their deficiencies, rather than someone speaking out of ignorance trying to justify their own tweaks to a completely different problem.

The reason proponents for these other tools pop up in threads like this is because you can completely avoid the cap decision altogether, while also fixing other problems - and often at the same expense. There might be other sacrifices made based on the products available on the market, but that doesn't invalidate the approach. The frustrating thing is those other sacrifices will continue to be made until there is demand for "audiophile" solutions. So really, the only reason I'm writing this post and being a butt face is because I would like to see "audiophile" preamps with active crossovers become the standard for high-fidelity...

Removed the K-77s and replaced with a set of Bob Crites tweeters. This changed the character of the speakers enormously. The imaging is now good and I have a for-real stable phantom image. Thanks, Bob for the good product.

My son put a pair of Bob's tweeters in his Heresies, and it prompted me to put a set in my LaScalas. A very nice improvement.

Bruce

My son put a pair of Bob's tweeters in his Heresies, and it prompted me to put a set in my LaScalas. A very nice improvement.

Bruce

Bruce,
Could you describe the difference whether sound impact or whatever else. And did this require any recapping once completed?
Thanks

Well... I built my own crossovers at the same time, dumping my AL crossovers (I still have them... I didn't toss them out).

Bob's tweeters give more high end clarity, and sound very smooth to my ears. My son felt the same way with his Heresies. Some have not liked them, but we both felt it was a big improvement. For the price, it is hard to go wrong. It wasn't a dramatic "Oh WOW!!!" kind of change, but it was nice. Maybe better imaging, too.

My son has his original Heresies and original crossovers (maybe I should upgrade the caps for him for Christmas).

• 1 month later...

Anyone want to buy my k-77s? I've decided to sell them, for a fair price, and I also have a new diaphragm purchased from Klipsch. I'm totally happy with Bob's tweeter, so I don't need the originals. I'm currently integrating the APT tweeter into my Altecs:

3 Way Altec

I think it's a good driver.

Let me know if you are interested in the K-77s and or the diaphragm with a PM.