DVD AUDIO ANYONE?

Professor Thump

Rush: Moving pictures on BluRay. The DTS mix changes the content and delivery slightly from the old 2 channel. Dynamics are phenomenal for an old rock album with so much going on in it. In the beginning of YYZ Neil is hitting the triangle or bell and it circles the room from speaker to speaker. There are three videos included that are originals of them playing in their studio, yet the music is playing is in DTS. Its really, really strange watching these old Analog video's, but hearing the music that is perfectly in sync.with the video in a modern state of mix, it just stumps the brain. The tracks, Camera Eye and Witch Hunt will make any Rush fans hair stand on its end.

My favorite DVD A is Steely Dans album Gaucho. This album is more impressive to me than Dark Side on SACD. The dynamic range of this piece is beyond all I have heard....(not that I have heard it all). The rest's in the music are totally silent. The vocals, crisp and incredibly clear. The distribution of the drums and the backup singers just leave the two channel stuff in the boring category after you give it a listen. This album is so clean you can hear a few riffs of one of their keyboards slightly over driven.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I know this thread was started 4 years ago. I used to have a huge collection of DVD-A but unfortunately sold them all. I was thinking about buying them back since I still have the player (Panny DVD-RP91K), so I looked on eBay for some of my old favorites. Holy Crap! Fleetwood Mac Rumours $85, Eagles Hotel California $250! R.E.M. $110, Crowded House $40.

At those prices, I think I'll maybe check back in 4 more years.

So I know this thread was started 4 years ago. I used to have a huge collection of DVD-A but unfortunately sold them all. I was thinking about buying them back since I still have the player (Panny DVD-RP91K), so I looked on eBay for some of my old favorites. Holy Crap! Fleetwood Mac Rumours $85, Eagles Hotel California $250! R.E.M. $110, Crowded House $40.

At those prices, I think I'll maybe check back in 4 more years.

I noticed some are cheap like 20 bucks or less and some are really

spendy. Like brother in arms is 20 bucks on amazon sacd.

...And Morph the Cat is an excellent sounding DVD-A, BTW, OP. As are Steely Dan "Two Against Nature' and "Everything Must Go". So are the other 2 Donald Fagan DVD-As, the Nightfly and Kamakiriad, although they are only 48kHz; still sound superb. And Gaucho isn't bad at all, either.

I have Two Against Nature, The Nightfly, and Morph the Cat and agree those are EXCELLENT!

...All of the Talking Heads dual-disks are good. Speaking in Tongues has a great remix of "Burning down the House" which is my number one demo song. On the Best of REM DVD-A the song "Ebow the letter" has some tremendous bass. I also like the Beatles Love remake in multichannel. Also, if you are a T-Rex fan, Electric Warrior on DVD-A is a must-have. Yes
The last one I picked up was Steely Dan's Gaucho. I never was a big fan but really like how they converted that material into 5.1. It's cool hearing the horns coming from my rear RB-75s. :-)
Fwiw, I wrote this several years ago and all of these disks are still on the listening rotation. [8]

Anyone ever hear of Steve Wilson? He is the head man for Porcupine Tree and a bunch of other music projects. He is also a sound mixing engineer/genius. Soundandvisionmag.com always has interviews and reviews of his music. If you like Pink Floyd, you should like Porcupine Tree. I have a couple DVD-A/Bluray mixes of their music. The album Fear of a Blank Planet in DVD-A is amazing. Steve Wilson is also responsible for remixing King Crimson in 5.1. I highly recommend his work if you like audiophile progressive rock that morphs from acoustic mellow to heavy riffs and back to mellow piano and acoustic work.

• 1 month later...

...And Morph the Cat is an excellent sounding DVD-A, BTW, OP. As are Steely Dan "Two Against Nature' and "Everything Must Go". So are the other 2 Donald Fagan DVD-As, the Nightfly and Kamakiriad, although they are only 48kHz; still sound superb. And Gaucho isn't bad at all, either.

I have Two Against Nature, The Nightfly, and Morph the Cat and agree those are EXCELLENT!

I just picked up "Everything Must Go," and now only need Kamakiriad to finish the collection! [Y]

So I know this thread was started 4 years ago. I used to have a huge collection of DVD-A but unfortunately sold them all. I was thinking about buying them back since I still have the player (Panny DVD-RP91K), so I looked on eBay for some of my old favorites. Holy Crap! Fleetwood Mac Rumours $85, Eagles Hotel California $250! R.E.M. $110, Crowded House $40...

Check the Auctions...Recently I've seen all the disks mentioned here go for less than $40 and some considerably lower

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up "Everything Must Go," and now only need Kamakiriad to finish the collection! Yes

I NOW HAVE THEM ALL!!! [<:o)] Someone on another thread made the comment about how these discs sound on horn loaded speakers and every one of the Steely Dan/Donald Fagen DVD-Audios are Reference material, imo.

EDIT: BTW, if you are interested in a Multichannel Music Forum please post here: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/156168.aspx