Receiver vs. Separates

kde

How do you know if a receiver has enough power to power your system? For example, if
I am running a 7.2 Ultra THX II set up -- is a regular receiver enough juice for these "sizeable" speakers?

What benefits will separates allow?

I set the system up myself and am planning to have a professional to come out to the house to tweak it before I make another investment (however I feel that I could get more power when watching dvds). Not looking for more volume -- just more boom to the base and more surround from the backs and sides.

I wonder how much better a professional can set up your system? I have a Radio Shack meter, Behringer EMC8000, REW and feel I have mine set up pretty good for about $150. BTW how much do they charge?

I have separates...Outlaw 990, 2 McIntosh MC-250's, MC-275 and MA-6100. The MC-275 is good for 90 watts per channel.

Ron, I had the same thought concerning setup.

kde: I use separates also. The power supply in a single box ( receiver ) has to be shared amoung all the duties such as processing, amplification etc. The use of a separate amplification box has only one function, that being to amplify the signal & should provide more headroom. That's just one benefit. Read those threads I linked for fuller explanations.

How do you know if a receiver has enough power to power your system? For example, if

I am running a 7.2 Ultra THX II set up -- is a regular receiver enough juice for these "sizeable" speakers?

What benefits will separates allow?

I set the system up myself and am planning to have a professional to come out to the house to tweak it before I make another investment (however I feel that I could get more power when watching dvds). Not looking for more volume -- just more boom to the base and more surround from the backs and sides.

What receiver do you have now? If you already have a decent receiver, adding extra power will make a subtle improvement, but nothing significant. Personally, I think you may be barking up the wrong tree as you seek improvements. Have you ever considered improving the room itself? The room plays an extremely vital role in sound reproduction, and I think you'd be better served if you addressed the room acoustics. There is a major difference between a treated soundroom vs untreated, and you'd be amazed at how much better your Ultra THXII system can really perform in the correct environment. I suggest you budget the $750 towards a room upgrade, and you'll truly be amazed.

I currently own the Pioneer Elite VSX 54 receiver. You may be onto something regarding the room treatment. Where do I go for this type of service?

For what ti's worth -- The current room is a rectangle ~18' X 14' with 9 foot ceilings. The room is carpets and has several windows.

KDE

Ask Glen, aka Picky, on this forum about his experience with the Pioneer. it is a good unit.

That said...

If your running Ultra II, the thought is for most that have travelled this road..... Separates are (usually) always better. If for nothing else... If another technology comes along, your not so screwed. Also something about a separate power supply, say a 200 watts x 7 is also isolated from everything else.

As far as your room, it is a good sized one... You will need the 200 + watts, and most receivers just can't keep up with it... Or have bad power supplies when the Ohms get down to 6, 4 or 3 too... driving all those channels.. The rf 7's and 83's have been rumored in the 3-4 ohm range for a amp not geared to that, and in a receiver packed with LOT's of extras... It is taxing on them. So again.. A great pre amp doing it's thing.. And a solid well built amp to drive those 7 channels @ 200+ or so REAL watts is a better alternative.

Windows maybe be a great reflective and bright problem in your room. Before I say anything bad of course.. RELAX... And not every room is perfect. Possibly a drawing of your room might help here if you can do that. Are the speakers on the 18' or 14' wall too? Your seatting arrangement as well and your HDTV size type?

You will get good advice in here, I am sure.

Good luck!

I just realized that my Pioneer 54VSX (?) receiver doesn't have HDMI capability! How big of a deal is this? Right now I have everything hooked up via component and digital audio -- is the HDMI really better performance or does it only offer a combined source (less cables)?

While this won't solve my hdmi "issue" -- is it possible to keep my pioneer receiver and add a ooutlaw or sunfire amp platform (and keep using the Pioneer for receiver purposes)? That way I can upgrade one portion later...

I just realized that my Pioneer 54VSX (?) receiver doesn't have HDMI capability! How big of a deal is this?

Not such a big deal. You shouldn't feel compelled to upgrade just for HDMI. Waiting for a better reason to upgrade will mean you also get the next level of technology. I would be more inclined to upgrade only if you want better audio or video processing.

From the purist point of view... HDMI presents a digital signal from end to end, which implies no degradation in signal quality at the terminating points, since there is no digital-to-analog conversion required. Using component cables requires digital-analog conversion and this has the potential to introduce some detectable flaws in the signal. Whether or not you can perceive these flaws is debatable.

Other features of HDMI are well described at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi. Many new receivers are available with HDMI 1.3a (e.g. Onkyo and soon Denon). Having this capability in your receiver is more about future-proofing than being able to benefit from the 1.3a features today. Still, future-proofing purchases of expensive equipment is a wise consideration.

BTW, component cabling is also quite suited to delivering 1080p images.

Right now I have everything hooked up via component and digital audio -- is the HDMI really better performance or does it only offer a combined source (less cables)?

Better performance because it's pure digital. More convenient and much neater because it's one cable for audio and video. HDMI cables are shockingly expensive compared with similar quality component cables.

While this won't solve my hdmi "issue" -- is it possible to keep my pioneer receiver and add a ooutlaw or sunfire amp platform (and keep using the Pioneer for receiver purposes)? That way I can upgrade one portion later...

I am a believer of upgrading in portions. Whilst your happy with your receiver, and upgraditis has not overcome you, then stick with it. Maybe you will prefer a reciever with improved audio DACs or video DSP. That would be my trigger for upgrading.

Regards,

LFaR.

Thanks for putting this into perspective (regarding upgraditis) -- wise advice for someone with only two posts!

HOWEVER, it seems like an amp is a part of equipment that could last twenty years without many changes in technology and therefore a good place to stash some cash. Is it possible for me to get a 200 X 7 amp and keep using my Pioneer receiver? Then upgrade the receiver when everything settles down?

If your Pioneer receiver has pre outs, you can certainly connect a 7-channel power amp to it. There are a number of forum members doing just that, although some, including me, just use a 2-channel amp to power the main speakers, since that's where stereo music comes from. The receiver power is fine for movies, to my ears. Let your budget decide. Then, of course, you have to choose between Class A, Class AB and Class D amps.

What amps does the fourm recommend? It seems that people talk about Sunfire, Outlaw, Krell, Rotel quite abit. I like the Sunfire and the Outlaw -- the Sunfire for the perceived quality and the Outlaw for the price.

Looking for 200 X 7 to power Klipsch THX Ultra IIs...

What amps does the fourm recommend? It seems that people talk about Sunfire, Outlaw, Krell, Rotel quite abit. I like the Sunfire and the Outlaw -- the Sunfire for the perceived quality and the Outlaw for the price.

Looking for 200 X 7 to power Klipsch THX Ultra IIs...

You shouldn't go wrong with any of those, but I have heard that Krell can be a bit bright from another member of the forum. Never heard a cross word about the other three.