Porsche 996 TT Rebuild

Gilbert

Yep - nice car indeed. However......I see that 996 and think.....

Hmmmmm.....I could buy a Ducati 1098S, a Norton 850 JPS, a mint H*nda CBX, a Yamaha RZ350 Kenny Roberts edition, a Ducati Hyper Motard, a BMWR1200GS, a used Velocity 260 w/490 MagHO, and probably still have money left over for a pair of Klipsch Paladiums. [:)]

Tom

Rear engines are the Classic trade mark of Porsche.....

Woosh... seriously you missed my dusty-dry humor. Of course I'd like to own a 911 too (or any newer derivative), but I can't afford them rich-folk Automobiles ...

On my 928 forum there was a post that showed a body kit for a 996 that made a Shark's butt look skinny. We had to laugh at the "dorsal envy". LOL Yea we're all wanna-be's, but it is a heck of a lot of fun pushing a front engined GT for all it can take. My 1985 928 was $50K new, but I have probably slightly more than $4700 in it and I'm still driving it like I stole it... I don't think I could strap on a descent 911 for five times that. :)

Sorry for the hijack of the thread.

First porsche I ever rode in was a 2.0L 914 and it sounded more like a volkswagon than it did a porsche. I was 12 years old, and loved it. My cousin owned the car and I thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Then, when I hit my twenties, 26 to be exact, and I drove a man to the hospital in his brand new 928S4. The trip was from Encinal, Tx to SanAntonio, and at that time, it was the fastest I had ever driven a car (at sustained speed well in excess of 100mph). I was prodded by the owner, who was in great pain, to drive faster & faster. The car tracked so well and handled so effortlessly that I was hooked for life on the porsche mark. One day I said to myself, as I still do now, I want one of these, I must have one of these.

I truely love all sports cars (and a few slow ones too), and I've been lucky in that I've riden in and drived a wide variety. A 65 White with Blue stripes Shelby GT350 on the road course of the Texas World Speed was one of the best times ever experienced. The track is/was just to the south of Texas A&M, in College Sta. I mostly watched and helped a little with the rebuild of that car. It belonged to a good buddy, and we use to get together with another fella by the name of Jay Bittle at his old Texaco Gas Station garage. Jay is pretty well to do now in Southern Calif. He had and still has his red 1968 Shelby GT500, my favorite car of all time. Another guy in the group had a 69 Camaro, and another a 68 Chevell, both with 396's that were dressed to the 9's. All the guys had their cars, from tubbed out Vega's with bigblocks to hammered-out drag vettes to tricked out Opels and Alfa's. They were all cool cars, and I loved them all. Everyone had a trick ride, except for me that is, I drove a hand-me down (by my sister) 1972 Jeep CJ5, with a factory 302 V8. I tricked out the engine for all she was worth, spent every last dime from my autoparts job. I owed Dickie (the owner) the moon in parts purchased to rebuild that motor. The dana rear-end on that jeep afforded me the ability to lift the front wheels off the ground a couple of inches, but she handled like a wet turd on a slip-n-slid, all over the place if you know what I mean. Boy, it sure use to piss my dad off to see what I did with the ole jeep. He was afraid to drive it after I got my hands on it. Oh, those were the days, working at the autoparts store by day, and then crawling underneath a fast car till the wee hours of the night. Ah, it's no wonder college took so long..... but OB is sure right. They are all toys, and certainly not the priorities of life, and yes, I still want my GT2. One day, one day, one day soon.

Now I gotta go lay on my Little River Band LP, http://youtube.com/watch?v=yw7Q3QdbVlg

Nice post Gilbert. I am also in the camp of I will never live long enough to own or even drive all the cars i would like to. One of my dreams has been to have a mid to late 70's 911, the kind that were fairly sparse and light without all the luxury. They used to be pretty reasonable, but are now more rare because most have been turned into club racers. Maybe when OB gets tired of his he will think of OT? I almost bought a perfect 356 B during my youth with a new wife and a baby on the way, but opted for something a little more practical at the time. Could have sold it for more than I bought it after a few years but what the hey, I don't look at these things as investments anyway (except in pleasure). The 914 was at the time and for a long time after considered by many the best handling Porsche made, and the ones left are the six cylinders or those converted to six cylinders for club racing, you see very few on the road. I still miss the Saab 96 I used to own, that was a fun and funky car.

I got all speed driving I wanted in the three years I was in Germany, the first day in country I landed in Frankfurt and the guy that was going to be my boss picked me up in a BMW 633csi. He kept it at a pretty much constant 220 - 240kph the whole way back to Ramstein about 150K away. I had white knuckles from gripping the door handle for the duration of the ride since I was not used to the Autobahn yet. First car I bought there was a BMW 520i which I killed in 1 year then I bought a dog slow but really comfortable Mercedes 240D.

Fastest I ever made the 150K from Ramstein to Frankfurt was like 45 minutes I think

The most fun I have ever had though was in the mid to late 70's, my father was teaching me the value of a dollar so to speak so I had a summer job as a tool handler and car wash guy at his buddy's Texaco in Laredo, TX the owner was in tight with all the state troopers. He serviced their cars and back then they were Dodge sedans with 440ci high output with Carter 4bbl carbs and a super cooler. Well the mechanic and I got done with the car and he says to me hop in we are going to test it! Whoa! OK So we hit the highway and I got to drive, we got it rolling and then hit the siren and lights and I stomped the gas pedal to the floor. I got pulled back into the seat, and about 85 the car hit an additional gear and launched to about 135 man that was cruising I think the lines in the road were solid at that speed. My fathers '76 Olds Delta 88 with a 455/4bbl was pretty good at burning up the old Uniroyal radial tires and the spedo would disappear at 100mph and when you let off it would take awhile to come back to 100. I got chased by the Border Patrol on that one, they thought I was running wetbacks.

I've been trying all summer to sell my 911, other things have more priority to me right now, and the added expense doesn't fit my income. This medical forced retirement has really set me back, changed my life, and made me look at things alot differently, that being said, I can't sell this car for a fair price around here, everyone wants it for close to free, so I will sit on it I guess.............Gilbert, your right, FAMILY before Auto's, it's only a car, there will always be a car for sale, That picture of your wife and daughters is far better than that 996..............EH!!!!!......(deep down inside, I'd love a Roush Mustang, stage 3)

Yep - nice car indeed. However......I see that 996 and think.....

Hmmmmm.....I could buy a Ducati 1098S, a Norton 850 JPS, a mint H*nda CBX, a Yamaha RZ350 Kenny Roberts edition, a Ducati Hyper Motard, a BMWR1200GS, a used Velocity 260 w/490 MagHO, and probably still have money left over for a pair of Klipsch Paladiums. [:)]

Tom

now we're talkin', tho i would spring for a Hailwood Duc, and another Velocette Thruxton, instead of the Velocity......[:)]

i already got the RZ350 ...[;)]

post-16603-13819344783488_thumb.jpg