KHorns in a Tiny Room

3Fates

I was not expecting this but KHorns came into my life recently. My dedicated listening room is rather small - 16 ft x10 ft. I have always placed my speakers on the short wall with spacing roughly 5 feet apart. I sit about 8 feet away. I know its not ideal but it's all I have to work with.

Presently, the KHorns are in the corners of the short wall. I was thinking of re-arranging and placing the KHorns on the 16 ft wall corners and placing my listening chair against the opposite wall. This places my ears 7-8 feet away. Does this sound like it might work? I can do whatever I want with room tweats. Thanks in advance.

In my previous house, I had them in a 11x30 foot room, using 18 feet of that long wall for the Klipschorns (with a false corner). I sat in the crosshairs of the speakers on a couch against the back wall. The speakers disappeared and the imaging was the best I have had them sound. Go figure.

long wall, long wall, long wall. KHorn manual says speakers should be set up so that ratio of the distance between the speakers and the distance from the listening area is 1 x .618. If your room is 16 x 10, (192 inches by 120 inches) you've missed it by less than 2 inches!! (192 x .618 = 118.66) Ideal!

Steve

GLA51- your son sure has a nice sweet spot right in front of his video arcade for those KCBB's now! Lucky kid!

CP1 - Lil' Michael's room certainly qualifies for the "Really Teeny Tiny Room with K-horns". It's 12' x 10', and you've seen the "clutter". But we've got at least 40" on each K-horn side, so it's fine for his "near field" experience with SOCOM-3 or whatever evil aliens, bad guys, galactic storm troopers, etc., with whom he's doing battle. Interestingly, he only plays that stuf for about an hour, then it's off to bike riding, or building the Lego stuff. He was really impressed when "Mr. Michael, the Klipsch Man" told him that he was probably the youngest owner of a pair of Klipschorns!!!

Thanks for all the replies so far. I have re-arranged the room so the KHorns are along the long wall. It has been a week so far and it is definitely better. Not the ultimate speaker but certainly extraordinary in many ways. I feel blessed.

This is my 3rd pair of Klipsch with the first being Forte II (best speakers anywhere under $500 IMO) and a pair of Cornwalls in my living room mated with a Fisher 300-B tube receiver.

[A bit of a confesssion, the KHorns were bought as a temporary replacement in main listening room while my Apogee Scintillas were being restored. I am using a McIntosh MC-240 tube amplifier along with a Supratek preamp. Front-end is all analog.]

For some reason, I spent the last week listening to pre-recorded reel-to-reel tapes mainly as the souce in the system. Needless to say, the sound was very big. Some of the tape highlights included an RCA Living Stereo of Chopins Piano Concerto, Beatles Abbey Road, Emerson, Lake and Palmer's 1st Lp and a few Barlay-Crocker Classical tapes as well. Boy, I wished they never dropped that format.

Has anyone experimented with raising their listening chair? I was thinking of somehow getting my ears in line with the horns.