Budget Pre-Tube with phono

dkalsi

I just received an e-mail for Will Vincent that my Baldwin tube amp is ready.

Now, I just need a pre-tube-amp. I was hoping you guys could give me some good recommendations.

Since this is my first true venture into tubes - I am not looking to spend too much.

Probaby around 350-550 is my range (the lower the better).

Please let me know what you think.

Congrats on getting the Baldwin. Will packs those things so well it is a challenge to get them unpacked.

One tube pre that comes to mind is one of the Dynaco PAS preamps. Mostly what I hear about them is that they are unremarkable. You might run across one that has been refurbed nicely. I think that a tube pre with phono would mean a vintage piece of some sort.

The top end of your range is close to the price of a used Juicy Music Merlin. If you could snag one of these, they are fabulous sounding. Line stage only, though.

I second daddy dee on the Merlin. I've have one running with a SS HK Ciitation 12 and Forte's, for the $'s you can't beat it. Mark's equipment matchs well with the Heritage series. You will be hard pressed to find a phono and line stage that will match the Merlin sound at that price, strictly my personal choice. I run my lascala's with the Blueberry Extreme, which has the phono stage and love the sound. Bottom line is it's your money and ears, so enjoy the search.

Tom

"Sent the guy a PM and left contact info. Hopefully he will get back to me. Thanks for your advice Daddy Dee - much apprecaited."

You won't regret it.

Daddy dee, you are the one that convinced me to try the Merlin a year or so ago. Great advice.

Tom

In the very old days tube pre amps were part of a console quite often. And cartridge technology of the early 60s was pretty basic. My opinion after using Dynaco, Ampex and Eico premaps were they were voiced in the phono section to adress console speakers or some other issue. After allot of NOS Valves work on the AMPEX it was still not as neutral as a Scott LC 21 or 130 preamps; AMPEX was not well defined in the bass, but shined elsewhere.

Dynaco had the most lifeless phono section.

I am an unaplogetic Scott enthusiast.

Darn hard to find a tube pre with phono stage on a budget.