Ping for Dtel's wife

arfandbark

I need a recipe for dumplings, Darling.

My dad is threatening to boil a chicken in the next couple days and if he does I may have to eat some.

His idea is to layer some pie crust on top of the mess and hope for the best. I'm most concerned...

Last time he tried it he used a tin of bisquits and made a mushy mess.

Can you help me?

• Moderators

Arf,

I don't have a recipe myself, but....I do have a go to person for this....give me till tonight and I will have you a "guaranteed" dumpling recipe. My go to person is a eighty something year old "country girl". BTW, this same country girl makes the best darned pecan pie you have ever eaten in your life. Pecans should be "coming in" in the next month or so......will let you know when yours are on the way!

I will get back with you tonight...around 9:00 or so with the dumpling recipe.

• Moderators

Okay, I called my eighty something year old country girl and she said, "well....I used to make 'em up from scratch....but that was before Wal Mart started sellin' 'em........just tell that boy he can save himself a lot a trouble by going down to Wal-Mart and picking up some of them frozen dumplins'...."

Now I did find a recipe....but I would take the ole country girl's advice. If you want the other recipe let me know and I'll post it for you.

Make chicken noodle soup.  Get some wide egg noodles, carrots, celery, and onion.   Throw the bird in a big pot along with a chopped up onion, the top and washed root from the celery and simmer that sucker for about 1.5 hours (until the chicken legs are loose).  Pull the bird, strain and keep the fluid.  Pull the meat off of the bird.  Add chopped carrots and celery to the broth (if it's too greasy sieve some off the top) and return the chicken.  Cook until the carrots are soft.  Throw in a bunch of the egg noodles and cook until their done. Season and serve.  Piece of cake.

To hell with the dumplings......

Let's talk pecans!

You will be Dad's hero. And therefore mine, too.

He loves fresh pecans.

He was born and raised in Arkansas, by the way. Razorback thru and thru. Billy Gene is his name. Born in '28.

Raised two sons. Both Hog fans. We stick out like sore thumbs up here.

He prefers Schleys but anything fresh will be sooooo good.

Hard to get a good fresh pecan in Michigan.

I bought him a cool guy nutcracker last year that he likes using, so they have to be in shell nuts.

If you make him happy you've made me happy.

Thank you for remembering, sweetie!

• Moderators

Arf,

No way I would forget about the pecans....besides my other half does ocassionally remember some things...thank goodness..

I tease him all the time about "using my brain" to remember stuff.[:o]

Pecans should be in full season within the next four weeks or so....my ex-son-in-law always buys a lot of pecans for his mom (the eighty something year old country girl I mentioned above)....yep the one that makes the best pecan pie you have ever eaten.

She always sends me a pecan pie for my birthday....which is really special cuz most everyone but our immediate family forgets about my birthday, because it's on Christmas Day. I really look forward to that pecan pie every year, as does everyone else in the house.

She also has this recipe for Blueberry Yum-Yum....talk about good stuff.

Down here in the south there's two kinds of dumplings. If you like the puffy ones, nothing works better than bisquick. Just mix up the biscuit recipe and drop by the spoonfulls into the chicken broth just before you're ready two serve; let them simmer a few minutes til done and enjoy. If you like the flat kind you can either roll out the biscuit dough flat or just buy Mary B's dumplings at the grocery. Same results.

[D]

I just hope Dtel doesn't find out your pinging his wife........[:#]

He will never know the difference........ [:|]

Uh oh....

I've pinged Dtel's wife. And Dtel knows I've pinged his wife.

I should have been more discrete.

I never thought he'd look here. Someone leaked.

I'm so busted.

I'll be walking out to the mailbox in the morning only to be mashed by a Kubota covered in bayou mud by some landscaping maniac plowing a new Mississippi river from his house to mine...

And as the big orange bucket mashes me like a June bug I'll be saying I'm the first to have pinged Dtel's wife.

Thanx, guys.