Amy's new camera !

dtel

I like the rubber ducky idea. My wife could place it on me after I pass out from too much scotch, lying face down in the carpet!

no, No, NO, I've got it....I'l take it fishing at the ou[:$]ter banks and arrange for some other fishing/Klipsch nuts to meet me there....a family group shot

Amy, I have know idea how you do it but every picture of you looks like a different person!

I was noticing the same thing! I think it has something to do with all them personalities Amy has [A]

Something Cybil'esque about Amy huh?

Phil... maybe something more devious.... Go out fishing with your pals... Hire Groomslake to be out there with his scuba on (Groomslake, watch out for trolling fish hooks whizzing by your head [:o])

When you're boat gets near Groomslake (who is under water holding his breath waiting), you can wiggle your hook and Groomslake can hook the duck on your FRIENDS hook and let him pull it up while you take a picture of his astonished face.....

I'll let you guys iron out all the details on how to make that happen

[;)]

• Moderators

Amy, I have know idea how you do it but every picture of you looks like a different person!

I was noticing the same thing! I think it has something to do with all them personalities Amy has [A]

It probably has to do more with all the different hats I wear [:)]

• Moderators

" This Christmas Santa brought me a Nikon D80. They have many similarities and I have been very happy with it.

Although there is quite a bit to learn after a lifetime of shooting film.

Can you tell we are a Nikon Family? "

What lens did you get with your 80, or did you just buy the body for lenses you had already ?

I got the 18 - 135 with the D80 and I like it but I know there are much better lenses out there.

dtel,

I already had an assortment of lenses from my Nikon N80 film camera, so I just got the body.
I have since bought a Nikon 18-200 G DX lens with their second version of VR (vibration reduction).

This is the lense that stays on the camera most of the time.
Because it is a DX it is not compatible with my N80 though.
For me this is a good all around package.
- Jim

EDIT: Why can't I get this web address to show up as a link?

EDIT: Why can't I get this web address to show up as a link?
You usually have to copy it, then click the chain-link icon in the reply dialog box and paste it into the URL box and click "insert." Mysteriously, it did it on its own in your quote box above, for some reason.

The traveling Duck sounds like a cool idea.

Amy,

You need to start up a list of who would be interested and how long each person gets the duck and lets see how far he can go.

you could control where he goes, you send him to the first person and he sends you pictures, then you draw a name and tell them where to ship him off to. You need to get some kind of logbook to travel with him too.

Steve

• Moderators

Amy, I just order that same camera / lens plus the 50mm 1.8 lens.

Hey, I've been looking at that lens, too. Let me know if it is a worthy addition to the lens that already comes with the camera...

Thanks!

Trying to recommend a lens is like trying to recommend a car! Dee is right, the 50 mm is included in any wide-to-telephoto zoom. The only benefits of a 50/1.8 is it's light and viewfinder images are very "bright," i.e., you can see in dark situations. It's probably also slightly sharper and more color-rich. However, those advantages are more than offset for most people by limits on what you can frame up with the fixed focal length.

Zooms have a lot of flexibility. Although it's tempting to get a very wide zoom range, like 18-200, you'll find they are (1) very expensive if you get high quality, (2) quite dark in the viewfinder because they usually have small apertures, especially at the telephoto length, like f/3.5 to f/5.6 or smaller, and (3) heavier because of more glass, especially if it has a big zooming range with a larger aperture.

The one flannj bought has all the great qualities, which it should for $750, although frankly that seems cheap for this lens: (1) it's an ED-IF, which means especially high quality glass for greater sharpness and richness at the extremes; (2) f/3.5 - f/5.6, aperture which is excellent for such a wide zoom range extending to 200 mm (that's one reason it costs!); and (3) it weighs 1.2 lbs, amazingly light for its range and aperture, but still a lot of weight for some. The IF, incidentally, means "internal focus" which means it won't change length or shift its balance as you focus.

It also has a maximum reproduction ratio of 1:4.5, which is plenty for "macro" close-up photography, about as much as anyone would want to use for a flower or other item of that size (you would need a true macro lens to do coins and stamps).

Anyway, the advent of digital means that smaller apertures aren't as challenging as they were with film, so f/5.6 is much more OK than it used to be. Moreover, a big zooming range is safer if you're around dust and dirt, since you don't need to change lenses, which can threaten getting dirt on your sensor -- something you don't want!

My strong recommendation is that you try the lens on your camera -- how does it feel in your hands, is it a balanced package, is the viewfinder bright enough, and does it look good through the lens as you look at a variety of sharp objects and colors? Does it do well for you at widest angle and longest telephoto? Oh incidentally, you don't want a narrow zooming range, like 35-70 mm. That's too small for most uses. 18 - 80 is a minimum range IMO.

Hope this helps.

Larry

Trying to recommend a lens is like trying to recommend a car! Dee is right, the 50 mm is included in any wide-to-telephoto zoom. The only benefits of a 50/1.8 is it's light and viewfinder images are very "bright," i.e., you can see in dark situations. It's probably also slightly sharper and more color-rich. However, those advantages are more than offset for most people by limits on what you can frame up with the fixed focal length.

Zooms have a lot of flexibility. Although it's tempting to get a very wide zoom range, like 18-200, you'll find they are (1) very expensive if you get high quality, (2) quite dark in the viewfinder because they usually have small apertures, especially at the telephoto length, like f/3.5 to f/5.6 or smaller, and (3) is heavier with more glass, especially if it has a big zooming range with a larger aperture.

The one flannj (sp?) bought has all the great qualities, which it should for $750, although frankly that seems cheap for this lens: (1) it's an ED-IF, which means especially high quality glass for greater sharpness and richness at the extremes; (2) f/3.5 - f/5.6, aperture which is excellent for such a wide zoom range extending to 200 mm (that's one reason it costs!); and (3) it weighs 1.2 lbs, amazingly light for its range and aperture, but still a lot of weight for some. The IF, incidentally, means "internal focus" which means it won't change length or shift its balance as you focus.

It also has a maximum reproduction ratio of 1:4.5, which is plenty for "macro" close-up photography, about as much as anyone would want to use for a flower or other item of that size (you would need a true macro lens to do coins and stamps).

Anyway, the advent of digital means that smaller apertures aren't as challenging as they were with film, so f/5.6 is much more OK than it used to be. Moreover, a big zooming range is safer if you're around dust and dirt, since you don't need to change lenses, which can threaten getting dirt on your sensor -- something you don't want!

My strong recommendation is that you try the lens on your camera -- how does it feel in your hands, is it a balanced package, is the viewfinder bright enough, and does it look good through the lens as you look at a variety of sharp objects and colors? Does it do well for you at widest angle and longest telephoto? Oh incidentally, you don't want a narrow zooming range, like 35-70 mm. That's too small for most uses. 18 - 80 is a minimum range IMO.

Hope this helps.

Larry

Larry,

Thank you for a very thorough explantion.

There are several much more experienced and knowledgeable photographers on this forum than me, but my take on this is that like most of the devices we all seem to enjoy here, there are always compromises. Size and weight certainly are a factor and I was shocked at the light weight when I first handled this lens. But given the greater use of plastics over metal compared to my older zooms it makes sense. This seems to be common across all lens manufacturing today and most reports indicate that durability doesn't seem to be effected.

As far as price I think this lens initially retailed for $949 and you couldn't find one at that price anywhere. I waited 4 months for mine but you could find plenty of them on e-bay for $1200+. Obviously the price has come down and I have alway found that B&H is very competitive.

I find the brightness in the viewfinder to be significantly better than any zoom I have ever owned although as you point out you can't beat a well made fixed focal for brightness / sharpness. I used Contax equipment for years and those Zeiss lenses are fantastic but crazy expensive, which is the main reason I made the switch to Nikon a while back. Once again compromise.

I am still getting my feet wet as far as digital goes and as you point out I have noticed how forgiving the format is with smaller apertures, this will take some experimenting to get used to. But I am looking forward to it.

Your final point is so important, you have to try the lens and see how it feels and looks for you. I am very happy with mine and thats why it is the lens that stays on the camera the majority of the time. A compromise but it works for me.

- Jim