Console Stereo Find

Appleskinner

It's ironic that the subject of console stereos came up in an earlier post. This past week I stumbled across a craigslist ad for a custom 9' console built in the 50s. The workmanship on this piece was absolutely amazing and it had some attractive pieces of tube gear, but there was no way I was going to bring this hulk home without my wife telling me I was going to have to leave it in the back yard and live in it. With winter approaching, I decided it was best just to make the seller a full price offer under the condition that I take the electronics and leave what was left of the console after we extracted the gear with a circular saw. The booty: A Scott 130 preamp, a Harman Kardon HK250 amplifier and a Hermon Hosmer Scott 710 turntable with a wooden Grado tonearm. All pieces were pretty much pristine from being enclosed in the wood cabinet for all of these years. I also yanked the old Magnavox tube amp that was tied into the system.

Does anyone know anything about these pieces? Would the Scott/HK combo be a good candidate for a rebuild and placement behind my Cornwalls or LaScalas?

Pics are attached...please excuse the dust.

post-25126-13819348933028_thumb.jpg

It was quite an elaborate setup. Apparently, the system was built by the original owner of the house back in the 50s and was too large to remove in one piece. It even contained two brass doors on the front that opened up to a reveal a television. The new owners were selling the system in an effort to clear out the home for a major renovation. The cabinet was built extremely well and appeared to contain two separate stereo systems--all enclosed in the cabinet. The tuner, which I left behind, was built specifically for console systems and was tied into the Magnavox amp and connected to two 15" Magnavox speakers.

The components I pulled appeared to be sourced strictly by the turntable and had their own set of speakers. I did remove these, as they were very unique and I figured they were somewhat high end based on the other gear. I have been unable to find any information on the speakers and am beginning to think they are of little value. The interesting thing about the speakers is that what appears to be dust caps in the photos are actually small bulbs that screw out of the motor assembly. I believe the brand is "National Wide Sonic".

I've posted two pictures below of the Magnavox amplifier and the speakers. I'm not sure if either of these pieces are even worth messing with.

post-25126-13819348948308_thumb.jpg

Great!

The little Magnavox piece could be cleaned up, recapped (if needed), and used for another small system. It appears to be a single-ended 6BQ5, with maybe a 12AX7 in the front (?). A couple of DIY forum members have done some nice work on the same amp. It might be an idea to take care bringing them back to life -- if you have a variac, bring the voltages up slowly, keeping in mind that our modern AC supplies run higher than what these were originally designed for, and because of that, the filament voltages will likely aslo be a little high. An inrush current limiter on the input into the power supply would be helpful in a situation like this. They will present an initial high resistance at turn on, which will be reduced when it warms up, and will provide a more suitable AC supply than what we currently have in our homes. Plate load resistors are often given more attention than filament voltages, but it's important to keep filaments pretty close to what they were designed for.

Check with a technician about things you're not familiar with.

Neat find!

Erik

You scored!! The 130 looks like it will clean up very nicely and is worth $400 to $500 in original electrical condition more if properly rebuilt. It may very well work pretty good as is but should be brought up slowly on a Variac to give the caps and chance to form up. The HK250 is more obscure of a find but my guess its a very good score also. Both are worth a quality rebuild for sure.

I found this in a quick search for the HK250

http://www.audioshopper.com/HK250.htm under his weakness statements I bet a good quality rebuild would clean that up.

Craig

Scott,

Attached is a pic of the Scott 710 TT. I almost left this behind, but figured I may be able to sell it to recoup some of my original investment. The mahogony wood was covered in felt for some reason. I had to take the tonearm off to remove it from the console, but it appears to be complete. The arm is one of the large wooden Grados you see on the old Thorens tables.

post-25126-13819349030928_thumb.jpg