This is frustrating....

Joe Shmoe

David--are you telling us that Dr. Who's reputation has spread to the great state of michigan? i fear he is becoming a legend.

p.s. i spent four years living in Grand Haven, MI. Coming from Los Angeles to Grand Haven was total culture shock; but, the small town grew on me and it was hard to leave when the job sent me back to Los Angeles.

BigStewMan,

I'm afraid so. DrWho is quickly becoming nationwide, (think zztop) lol. I fear this, too. But that little potlicker needs to eat some humble pie, if you ask me. Here I am trying to give him presents and introduce him to young ladies and all he can do is talk about bowling and speakers. Stick with what you know, I suppose! [;)][;)][;)][;)][6]

And DrWho, no, your present is not the young lady I mentioned, lol.

Joe-sorry for the brief hijack lol.

EDIT-missed the Grand haven part... Yeah, Grand Haven is really quite nice and not all that far from where Joe Shmoe lives. Are you Dutch? Great small town feel over there and the country is beautiful. I love that whole side of the state.

David

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a duckpin bowler which is a dying sport. Only about 3 states left that have duckpin lanes. A 200 game and 500 set (you call it series) are the big milestones and only the best bowlers can reach either and not on a regular basis. And yes, most duckpin bowlers also golf (myself included). A really good duckpin average is in the 130s and the best in the world (small as it is) is in the high 150s. Never been a 300 game. I think 286 is the all-time high and that was a long time ago.

Bowling and golf... my 2 favorite sports in the world. I have always been good at sports that require good hand/eye coordination. This includes tennis, ping-pong, pool, badminton, etc... but bowling and golf have been the 2 sports I have excelled in. Bowling was pretty much my life all the way up until my middle twenties, and I made quite a bit of money doing it semi-professionally.

I carried a 210+ avg from the early eighties until the early 90's when I had to quit due to Rheumatoid Arthritis (very bad knees). Prior to that I bowled in 3 leagues a week and did a lot of pot bowling on the weekends (bowling for money on the side). I have bowled 4 sanctioned 300 games (and numerous non-sanctioned) and 3 sanctioned 800 series, with a high of 825 in Falls Church, Va back in 1989 (which was a house record for a long time).

Funnily enough, about the time I stopped bowling that was about the time I took up golf, and even though I am not as good a golfer as I was a bowler I am still fairly decent. I carry a 5 hdcp, which is nothing to be ashamed of. I find golf to be a much more difficult game than bowling, but I took up bowling at the age of 8 and I think any time you get involved in a sport at an early age it will always come more naturally to you. As for golf accomplishments I have shot even par 9 times now, and have never broken par for 18 holes. Twice I have been 1-under going into 18 only to bogey 18 both times, so I know all about choking. I also only have 1 hole-in-one. The good thing is there's still plenty of years left to get it done. [:D]

So, hang in there and stick with it. Your time will come... trust me.

Mike

David--are you telling us that Dr. Who's reputation has spread to the great state of michigan? i fear he is becoming a legend.

p.s. i spent four years living in Grand Haven, MI. Coming from Los Angeles to Grand Haven was total culture shock; but, the small town grew on me and it was hard to leave when the job sent me back to Los Angeles.

BigStewMan,

I'm afraid so. DrWho is quickly becoming nationwide, (think zztop) lol. I fear this, too. But that little potlicker needs to eat some humble pie, if you ask me. Here I am trying to give him presents and introduce him to young ladies and all he can do is talk about bowling and speakers. Stick with what you know, I suppose! [;)][;)][;)][;)][6]

And DrWho, no, your present is not the young lady I mentioned, lol.

Joe-sorry for the brief hijack lol.

EDIT-missed the Grand haven part... Yeah, Grand Haven is really quite nice and not all that far from where Joe Shmoe lives. Are you Dutch? Great small town feel over there and the country is beautiful. I love that whole side of the state.

David

lol! If I didn't know better, I would venture to guess that you're trying to sucker me into some slave labor for your theater... [:P]

So what's your schedule look like in December? [A]

OK It's Thursday.....time for the bowling update! today's scores are......

257, 258, 266 = 781

This is the best series I have had to date! I'll post a pic soon, just for proof.

Nice job, Joe! I'm going to be in your neck of the woods on the 20th-send me a pm w/your cell number.

-David

Thanks! I started out at about 197 or so, but then had a few crappy weeks, so it dropped a little but it's usually in the mid 190's. I am just finally getting used to this new ball I bought at the end of last season, so it's working pretty well now. As long as I get it out, it has been coming right back into the pocket great.

• Moderators

Wii bowling isn't much easier.....[:#]

Don't you just hate those 9th frame opens.....GRRRRRR!

Me and the 10 pin go waaaaaay back![:@]

Oh I think WII bowling is easier. A few weeks after my Grandson got his WII a bunch of us went bowling, it was the first time I had bowled in 20 years !

I think the little girl bowling with 2 hands in the next lane had a better score than me ! [:$] Although the pictures of beer they sell there didn't help ! [;)]

WII golf and bowling is addictive, my Grandsons Wii game has never gone in his room, it's still in the living room hooked to the 65" TV.