Nice Little LP Score

thebes

About 300 albums for about $200, don't have probably half of them. Owned by a proper Washington, DC anal retentive. Not a scratch on any I've examined so far and he claims they were only played on a Linn Sondek with a Koetsu cart. Don't look they've ever been cleaned and don't need it. Virtually no dust. No rice crispies.

Here's the kicker though. About a dozen Sheffield Labs, another dozen or so 180 gram virgin vinyl lps from DCC, Audioquest, Analogue Productions and others, some Verve, Mercury, an outfit called Pablo, oh, and I have mentioned the Mobile Fidelity Greatful Dead "From the Mars Hotel".

There's the usual pop and rock, a huge collection of Dead (I'll list them latter for Gary ad the other Deadheads)and individual Garcia stuff, lotsa Morrison, a batch of Tull, too much Count Basie and really minty Buffalo Springfield. For the Aja boys a batch of Steely Dan and yet another minty Firefly (I think I'm up two 3 pristine copies of them now). A smattering of good blues all the early Gracie Slick, plenty of Ella but no bee bop.

In others words a sufficiently eclectic collection to keep me in new tunes for awhile.

So I blew my mad money, go home, lug 3 huge boxes inside, check the mail and there's a large bill for property taxes. Oh well, I'm sure they will sound just fine playing them on the sidewalk after I'm repossed.

So how do they sound?

Well right now I'm putting on........Oops that's for another thread entirely.

Damn property taxes will be the death of us yet! After you mentioned the statement you got in the mail, I was afraid to read the rest of your post, thinking you were gonna say you put the LPs you just bought up for sale!

Nice score. I'm usally just too lazy to play vinyl. That and the wife and kids usually want to watch TV rather than listen to music. No wonder people have dedicated 2 channel systems.

That said, I've put on some of my vinyl recently and I've always told people other than a few ticks and pops, y'all probably can't tell the difference. I'm not sure I can. Sounds pretty good even on my not so hi fi. Vinyl sounds good with even minimal care - no fingers, zero statted and Disc Washed, maybe anti-static sleeves, the stylus getting a quick once over with Disc Washer stylus brush and fluid ... and the claim by many that a good wet cleaning will remove not just more ticks and pops but some of the grunginess... Started out using a Radio Shack wet cleaner with the glass bead resevoir and then moved up to the Disc Kit.... I think I replaced and upgraded my Disc Washer brush. I think I bought the Disc Kit from J&R for $35. Makes me feel really old.

To be truthful, I'm not sure the vinyl diehards aren't onto something. Not sure I can tell the difference but time I dig out the few albums I have on big music (the name my now 18 year old daughter gave to LPs when she was 3 or 4, 45s are little big music) and CD and see if my tin ears can tell the difference... Music is analog afterall so maybe there is something lost in the whole analog to digital back to analog process. Either one normally sounds good to me.... Maybe should also compare with mp3 version ripped from the CD. Read an interesting interview in Stereophile (aside from often being full of BS in some of their writing, it's often at least entertaining, and occasionally they review a piece of equipment I might be able to afford some day but they were the publication whose writers have endorsed green marker to apply around the edge of a CD or a few strategically placed brass discs .... but did, God forbid pronounce the La Scala a few months ago as sounding like, music of all things) um .. oh yes an interesting interview with Tim De Paravicini in the November 2007 issue about the shortcomings of the CD standard ... sounds a lot more believable than some of the disserations I've read on the effects of wire geometry and effects of dielectrics on transmitting the sound to the speakers ... and who am I to say better wire doesn't improve the sound (obviously, a decent heavy enough gauge of copper wire will outperform a way too small gauge wire.... ) @%#!, I'm in psyco babble mode again.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your Right This Minute Posts, it is as I think your original post said it was a lot of fun the last time you started one ... I see a lot of things posted that I'd like to own, or like to try some day...

See if there's a copy of the original AOXOMOXOA mix (not the 1971 remix). The remix is clearly labeled such on the jacket (covers are the same); green "W7" label.

The original mix is very cool, and (in its own way) sounds very good.

aoxomoxoa

flip side

They did the same with Anthem Of The Sun. There are actually 3 different mixes of that one (Phil remixed another version in '80 or '81). I have 2 original Aoxomoxoa's but neither is very quiet. One is a Canadian gold label pressing. They both sound great but have way too many pops. Some day I'll find a quiet one. It's a very interesting mix and more similiar to the way they played those songs live.

Thanks guys, yeah it looks like there is some cool stuff here. Found a sealed Sheffield Labs "Tower of Power" last night.

Sorry Gary and Mark, but the one I have is the 1971 remix.

Here's the whole list:

DeadHead List:

Keystone Encores, Merl Saunders, Jerry Garcia, John Kahn and
Bill Vitt, Volumes 1 and 2 (separate) and also the two record set

Mars Hotel, MFSL 1-172

In the Dark, Arista
al-8452

American Beauty, Mouse Studios 1893

History of the Greatful Dead, Vol. 1 WB BS2721

Greatful Dead 2 lp live set WB 1971 , WB 2Ws 1935

Reckoning, Arista, A2L 8604

Shakedown Street, Arista Al5 8228

What A Long Strange Trip, Best of WB 1198

Wake of the Flood, GD Records, GD-01

Europe 72, WB 3WX 2668

For The Faithful, Arista
ARPDL2-1053

Blues for Allah, Liberty 3C054-64228

Dead Set, Arista A2L 8606

Workingmans Dead, Mouse 1869

Live/Dead, WB 1830

Built to Last, Arista AL-8575

Terrapin Station, Arista AL5-8065

Go To Heven, Arista, AL 9508

Skeletons from the Closet (Best of), WB W2764

Aoxomoxoa, WB 1790, says on back remixed in 1971

Dylan and The Dead, Columbia , OC 45056

Garcia, Round Records RX101 with Ua label on back

Garcia, Gerry Garcia, WB BS 2582

Jerry Garcia, Reflections, Round Records, RX 107

Jerry Garcia, Run for the Roses, Arista, AL%-8240

Old and In The Way, with Garcia on banjo and vocals, Sugar
Hill, SH-3746

Forgot to add New Riders, Before Time Began, with Jerry

Garcia, Relix Records, RRLP 2024

Oh also found a sealed Travelling Wilburys Vol. 3

Heres what Ive found for the high end recordings:

Sheffield Labs:

Tower of Power, Direct sealed

Lincoln Mayorga Vol. 3

McNeely-Levin-Skinner Band, After Midnight

Amanda McBrown and Lincoln Majorga, West of Oz (two copies)

Thelma Houston &Presure Cooker, Ive Got the Music In

Me

Harry James, The King James Version and Comin From A Good

Place and Still Harry After All These Years (boxed)

Claire Marlow, Let it Go

Amanda McBrown and Lincoln Majorga, Growing Up in Hollywood

Town, boxed and regular sleeve

Analogue Productins:

The Weavers, Reunion at Carnegie Hall

Terry, Hubbard, Gillespie and Petersen, The Alternate

Blues

Lori Lieberman, Home of Whispers and A Thousand Dreams

Amanda McBroom, Midnight Matinee

Janis Ian, Breaking Silence

Reference Recordings:

Eileens Farrell, Sings Torch Songs and sings Rodgers and

Hart and sings Alec Wilder and sings Harold Arlen

DCC Compact Classics:

Nat King Cole, Love is the Thing and The Very Thought of

You

Belafonte, Jump up Calypso

Pheobe Snow, self titled

Odds and Ends:

Rolling Stones, Hot Rocks, London remastered with virgin

vinyl

Tuxedo Cowboy, Women of the Heart, Audioquest

Patricia Barber, Split , Alto Analaogue 180g

Terri Garrison, Only Love, Vandersteen Audio, 180g

Nancy Wilson, Forbidden Lover, and Ill be a Song Sony with Japanese writing on back

Nancy Wilson, Lush Life, Capitol European Pressing

Mary Black, No Frontiers and Bonnie Raitt, Luck of the

Draw with made in England stickers on the back

Just think. One week ago I owned exactly one audiophile pressing, a wonderful gift from Mike Lindsey: Eva Cassidy's "Songbird" issued in 180 gram virgin vinyl. Where he found that virgin I'll never know. Thanks for the head's up Mike.

Gary the Dead stuff is doable but I want to hear the bluegrass piece before I decide.

Larry, I listened to The Weavers lp last night and the condition is superb, sound is very detailed and coherent. It's yours as a thank you for all your work on our recent gathering. Borrow as much Basie as you like and we'll figure out what you want after you've gone through them (22 lps at last count). We'll do one of those Marty to Larry to Gary things we do for Gary's end of the exchange.

So Gary, time to bring out all that Chuck Brown and reggae you've been hiding form me.[:D] Sure you give me a dozen lps for free and now you think you can skate on this one?[:D]

Gary the Dead stuff is doable but I want to hear the bluegrass piece before I decide.

So Gary, time to bring out all that Chuck Brown and reggae you've been hiding form me.[:D] Sure you give me a dozen lps for free and now you think you can skate on this one?[:D]

Darn Marty! You drive a hard bargain. OK, the Bob Marley is yours.

BTW - I already have 2 copies of Old & In The Way but you should give it a listen. Not audiophile quality but the music is fantastic!!