I wonder what a pair of tweeters like these would do for some Khorns?

Cut-Throat

At 110dB spl 1w/1m, wouldn't you have to at least attenuate them to match the 77 or the CT125. Just curious.

The fun thing to do would be to biamp - run the mids and highs with a simple passive network between the two without attenuation, and balance with the bass bin with an active crossover.

Beamy isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you have a dedicated listening room it can be a strength as it reduces the effects of early reflections. Of course, it works best when off-axis frequency response is similar to on-axis response (just attenuated).

Suprisently they ar,nt beamy and sound very sweet ,,,yes they need to be att. to match mids....But are great from 5000hz to light speed. remember you cant exceed 90 degrees any way in Khorn. polor patterns look great.

Maron is right, they do look like they measure very well. I would like to hear them sometime. I liked the JBL 2404H baby cheeks I bought as well. I think there is no doubt that if someone is willing to go through the trouble to make everything work there are benefits to be reaped. there are higher quality/performance drivers out there than what we have on our stock k-horns. I guess it is a price/preformance/worth the trouble kinda thing. Tony

The problem with beamy is that it changes the shape of the wavefront (think pointy bubbles) and it reduces the amount of power going into the room. Early reflections may be reduced, but so will the "reverberant" field (making later arriving specular reflections more noticeable).

That's not to say anything about this driver though - i'll have to look up the specs when I get the chance.

WHO!!!!!! Speculation always seems to get in the way......There is no sutch thing as pointy bubbles...Power into the room is not inhibited by shape of the bubble.....Fluid dynamics is another soft science Early reflections and reverberant fields scatter in lesser power conditions. your not dealing in a mirror glass room.

WHO!!!!!! Speculation always seems to get in the way......There is no sutch thing as pointy bubbles...

I'm referring to the difference between DI and dispersion angles. Dispersion is just determined by an arbitrary attenuation point, but DI describes the shape. You can have very different DI's with the same coverage angle. The significance is the audible difference between various DI's. There are a few books/articles that comment on it as well as Roy. You'll have to excuse my crude simple analogy - really, who's ever heard of a literally pointy bubble?

Power into the room is not inhibited by shape of the bubble.....Fluid dynamics is another soft science Early reflections and reverberant fields scatter in lesser power conditions. your not dealing in a mirror glass room.

I'm not referring to a mirror glass room. I'm referring to "reflections" as can be seen in an ETC as described by all the guys writing about time domain spectrometry (like Heyser, Davis, DAntonio...). There is absolutely no way to reduce the power response of the speaker (like making the dispersion narrower while keeping the on-axis flat) without making the "semi-reverberant" field more sparse - thus making any specular reflections more apparent. It's straight up conservation of energy. The problem with small rooms is that there are never enough reflections to make it truly reverberant.

Who .... I know all that...Your not telling me anything new....You need to get your nose out of those books and do some practicle application. Your point is nothing more than dancing on the head of a pin...Try for once applying your Knowledge to a usefull purpose....I would never hire you to work in my studio or engineering dept. Theory vs application is getting in your way....You are still flapping your wings while everybody else is heading for Mars.

There is no sutch thing as pointy bubbles...

Pointy bubbles:

"driver" shape (whatever the driver is - a plane, a car, a brick, etc) DOES determine wavefront shape, as does driver width.

Listening to a driver shaped like that down the Z axis (going head-on through the point) will yield far less amplitude than being anywhere off the axis. Without reflection (just the driver protruding into the air without the shroud)- the shape of the compressed wavefront would in fact be pointy.

hahha...

< < < < < <<On Axis>> > > > > > vs. ( ( ( ( ( ((In Stereo)) ) ) ) ) ) new logo - I like it :D