Heresy Industrial (Ported)

triceratops

Over my years on the forum I've swooned over many different Klipsch models. Probably one of the more obscure Klipsch speakers I've lusted after are the Heresy Industrial (Ported) designated HI or HIP. I think that both Colter and Frzninvt have talked these up at one time or another, and I think Michael's collection of split LaScala Industrials (which have a similar aesthetic) are fine looking speakers.

Despite my success at finding every other Klipsch Heritage model here in the Pacific Northwest, I've never lucked into a local pair of Heresy Industrials (or LaScala Industrials). That is until now:

post-8531-13819349458178_thumb.jpg

These are in great shape and I assume they are 1979 or earlier because both the squawkers and tweeters are the alnico type. Serial numbers are 1320 and 1321 and the woofers are ceramic magnet, cast-basket Electro-Voice EVM 12L (which Klipsch designates as a K-42) favored by high-decibel professional guitarists.

post-8531-13819349465158_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the above photos, these are ported (with a big rectangular slot at the bottom of the motor board) rather than sealed like standard Heresy speakers. Despite the port, the label on the back designates this as HI (rather than HIP). Did the HIP designation come along in later years? The cabinet is baltic birch with an industrial fiberglass finish and spiffy metal trim.

post-8531-13819349474598_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Hey there triceratops! I was just wondering about you the other day. I figured you had been reading, but I hadn't seen you post in a while. We missed you at the Pilgrimage in Indy this year, maybe you can make it next year.

Congratulations on your find. Good things are worth waiting for. I think those Heresy Industrials are really neat speakers.

Hey there triceratops! I was just wondering about you the other day. I figured you had been reading, but I hadn't seen you post in a while. We missed you at the Pilgrimage in Indy this year, maybe you can make it next year.

Congratulations on your find. Good things are worth waiting for. I think those Heresy Industrials are really neat speakers.

Hey folks--thanks for the kind words!

I'm sorry to have not been posting more and for not making it to Indy this year. I've been buried with lots of home and work-related stuff. But things are going good, and both our kids are off to college, so more room for me to fill up with speakers! Maybe I'll get to the pilgrimage next time. There's also going to be a high-end audio conference in Vancouver, Washington next Fall and I hope we can get some Forum members to make the trip to the Northwest to check that out. I'll post info when I get some.

Good to see your voice!

Did you finish your wallpaper project?

Chris

Hi Chris!

I'm embarrassed to say that the "wallpaper project" still needs to be stripped! I did take a bunch of "before" photos--I just need to get to the "after" part! I was hoping to make some progress when the weather was nice, now I guess I'll have to wait for spring.

Earlier this month I also bought a pair of '83 birch raw LaScalas in near perfect shape--kind of the other end of the spectrum condition-wise from my project pair. I guess, I'll see how the rough pair turns out and decide what to do.

I still have that pair of Cornwall cabinets for you, but my company car was recently downsized to a Subaru sedan--a tough fit for the cabinets. Do you have any travel to Eugene coming up?

Best,

John

John,

That is a really nice looking pair! I have always wanted a pair myself and have passed on a couple of nice pairs because I did not want to overpay for them on eBay. Those look great!

I guess in the back of my mind I know the regular Heresy will have better bass response and is more pleasing on the eyes, but I love that industrial look with the black and silver trim. They would make great rear effects/center speakers though.

Nice score!

Charles

I'm embarrassed to say that the "wallpaper project" still needs to be stripped! I did take a bunch of "before" photos--I just need to get to the "after" part! I was hoping to make some progress when the weather was nice, now I guess I'll have to wait for spring.

Why not combine the audio conference trip with the wallpaper job, have a bunch of forum buddies meet at your place with stripping equipment (woo-hoo!), then caravan on up to Vancouver!

Those are nice speakers, John!

Too pretty man, those were never used for tour I can tell you that.

Here's mine, with a bit more wear as they served as monitors for a drummer for a decade or two.

Holy cow, Michael. It would be the ultimate "wall of sound" for little kid! Talk about Heresy fest. I suppose you could get by with a small barn for these, eh?

That is a really nice looking pair! I have always wanted a pair myself and have passed on a couple of nice pairs because I did not want to overpay for them on eBay. Those look great!

Thanks, Charles! I think your posts from a few years back originally called my attention to this model. I didn't think a pair of HIPs would ever show up locally. I had to pay top dollar for them, but I didn't think I would get another shot at a local pair this clean for a long time, so I went for it.

I guess in the back of my mind I know the regular Heresy will have better bass response and is more pleasing on the eyes, but I love that industrial look with the black and silver trim. They would make great rear effects/center speakers though.

Nice score!

I know that the rationalization for these is a little thin for me, too. I already have a very nice pair of walnut oil Heresy's and bigger, better Heritage stuff like Khorns, LaScalas, and Cornwalls. Like you, I'm a sucker for the industrial look. I'm hoping my son's former band will get back together for some gigs when he comes home from school for the holidays!

The crossovers were converted to the standard Heresy E circuit by the original owner since he was using them at home. I started another thread in Technical to ask djk what would be the best strategy on the crossover.

Thanks again for your kind words, Charles!

Best regards,

John

Why not combine the audio conference trip with the wallpaper job, have a bunch of forum buddies meet at your place with stripping equipment (woo-hoo!), then caravan on up to Vancouver!

Those are nice speakers, John!

fini,

That's a great idea--I'll file it under "be careful what you wish for..."

I went to VSAC (Valve State of the Art Conference) in Tacoma a few years back and it was really fun. Lots of amazing tube gear manufacturers, builders, hobbyists, etc. This conference will be the successor to that event. Maybe I should try to talk Trey into having a Klipsch room!

You're going to have to make it up here one of these days! Thanks for the compliment.

Best regards,

John

Too pretty man, those were never used for tour I can tell you that.

Yeah, the guy just played a few gigs in college. Then the HIP's were retired to being home speakers for a quite a few years. Recently the owner moved to a new house so the old stuff finally had to go...

Here's mine, with a bit more wear as they served as monitors for a drummer for a decade or two.

A choice photo from the Colter collection--you da man, Michael!

There's 16 of them now Claude.

Hey, is that pairs or singles? Either way, that sounds like quite a pile! Brings back memories of Pink Floyd's Umma Gumma!

ps, a bunch of Forum guys 'stripping' in any fashion is probably not a g[:o][:o]d idea.

One of the few statements on the forum that everyone will agree on!