A/V Cooling Fans

IDOXLR8

I have learn a lot about fans. I bought one from Windy Willy's on Ebay and it sounds like a old car blower motor! I bought a Scythe brand that claims to be very quiet. The model number is SFF21F and specs are........ Oh!! one question I do has is this is a 3 wire motor and I would need to use only 2 of the wires (+& -) positive and negative. I was told the 3rd wire was for feedback to the PC. Could I safly use this with a correct 12V power transformer? I contacted the manufacture and when I said I was not using it for a PC and was using it for home audio he was not very helpful. I heard back from one seller and I was told I could use this using two wires. As I posted this fan was made for a PC and has a red, black, and white wire, any help on wiring, let me know, Thanks! AL.

Scythe S-FLEX 120mm Case Fan, S-FLEX is SONY corp patented bearing technology. 120mm Fan with 150,000 hrs long life. Model: SFF21F.
Features:
Equipped with Genuine S-FDB Bearing.
Market Leading Low-Noise Level.
Outstanding Long Life of 15000 Hours.
Anti-Shock Ability.

Specifications:
Model: SFF21F.
Dimensions: 120x120x25mm.
Fan Speed: 1,600rpm.
Fan Noise: 28.0dBA.
Air Flow: 63.7CFM.
Rated Current: 0.20A.
Connector: 3-pin (4-pin adaptor included).
Cable Length: 30cm.
Bearing Type: S-FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing by SONY Corporation).
MTBF: 150,000 hours.
MTBF of normal ball bearing Fan: 50,000 hours.
MTBF of nolmal sleeve bearing Fan: 20,000 hours.

post-27352-13819349531208_thumb.jpg

You probably could with a 12 converter. But then again..... I was able to find a good supplier on eBay. He is very helpful, reliable, and reasonable. I use his A/V fans for my amps, and I asked for the variable voltage option transformer which allows me to adjust the speed for the temperatures. I use them with a "switched" A/C outlet on tne back of the amps and they only come on when the amp is being used. They are ultra quiet and even with the volume at "0", it is almost impossible to tell that they are running. There are a couple folks on the forum who have seen them, including Mike Colter. Extremely reliable, have never had a problem, at all, ever.

Below is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AV-RECEIVER-AMP-120mm-Mega-fan-cooling-system_W0QQitemZ300166617679QQihZ020QQcategoryZ61395QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They probably have a temp sensor that you can buy to cause it to operate at a certain temperature. The key is to wire it and see if it changes speed as you change the voltage to the fan. If it works you are good to go. You can also use some speaker "gasket material" applied on the bottom edge to get a good seal to make sure the fan extracts only from the chassis vents. Also check the rotation direction and make sure it "sucks" the air out instead of blowing into the chassis. Hope that is of some assistance.

The 3rd wire will be from the pc to regulate rpms. Without it connected, the fan should run full speed all the time, and it is safe to run it this way - but expect it to be a bit noisy.

For what its worth, there are Plenty of 110VAC muffin fans available allowing you to totally avoid transformers, etc.

Three readily available examples that work great that can be found for about $5 each are:

Fulltech UF12A12 / TLL

EG&G Rotron Whisper-XL WX2AI

Torin TA450S Model A30390-10

All feature socketed AC adapters and the pigtails can be had for about $.50 in any surplus electronics center or online.

For a total of about ~$12 its hard to find fault with them.

I've used computer fans with transformers from old phones and answering machines and had good luck. The lower voltage transformers runs the fans slower. I just pick a transformer with the voltage that servers its use best for speed for cooling verses noise. I do like the one 220 volt fan running on 110 volts I have better though. It runs very quiet and smooth! I'd like to get more of those. Who sells those 220 volt fans?

I did the fan install and it is quiet at lower speeds and even at higher rpms it's still more quiet than what I had, AL.

Did you happen to take some pictures of your H-15s for me when you have your camera out taking the fan pic? If so, put them in that other thread.

Any chance using the switched outlet on the back of an amp/rec'r (for a fan -- whether if be VAC or VDC) might allow some noise to get picked up by the amp/rec'r? It just seems like the potential is there to raise the noise floor.

Any chance using the switched outlet on the back of an amp/rec'r (for a fan -- whether if be VAC or VDC) might allow some noise to get picked up by the amp/rec'r? It just seems like the potential is there to raise the noise floor.

I thought the same thing untill I tried it and I had no feedback or noise at all. I guess it's far enough away where it's not a problem, AL.