Reel ality Check

thebes

It's a mixed report so far Travis.

Tarheel was kind enough to send me several tapes of which 4 were recorded. The first 3 sounded way, and I mean way, too slow but the pinch roller seems to be ok. The fourth sounds fine, although I haven't been able to figure out if some small static I'm getting are the heads or just turntable noises from the home recording. I was also having trouble with rewind not working well at all but I opened it up and found a flat spot on a rubber roller, turned it around and that works fine now.

I've cleaned the heads and oiled everything I think I should except the flywheel which looks like a really major job to get at since the previous owner stripped a screw I need to remove in order to oil it. I've ordered a new belt since even the working copies (one from Larry and Tarheel) seem a bit too slow. All tubes test fine, except I immediately broke one and just got the replacement one in.

So if you were thinking of sending me some tapes (I hope, I hope), hold off for now. Now if you happen to have a spare pinch roller and some heads lying around send them along soonest![:D]

I still need your address.

I feel your pain. I still have my Teac 4311 that I bought new in 1972 (1/4 track stereo, 4 track record/playback). It is all pushbutton and solenoid operated, The grease in one of the solenoids dried out and it would not operate correctly. I used some solvent on it and re-lubed it, and it works fine. Haven't gotten the pinch roller replaced, but it is hard as a rock.

Amazingly, it still works pretty well. Some of the switches for source/tape, etc. are a bit dirty and could use celaning, but I usually just flips them back and forth a couple of times and I'm good to go.

I also got a Pioneer RT 707, which only takes the 7 inch reels. It was given to me a couple of years ago. Built like a tank, too.

Bruce

Marty,

Be SURE not to get oil on the capstan or pinch roller. Of course, you knew that.

You should, however, clean the pinch roller, if it looks like a lot of rusty-looking tape oxide has piled up on it. Rollers will slip if that stuff isn't cleaned off regularly.

Unless we're talking really, really slow, "slow" is not likely to actually be slow unless you have perfect pitch! IOW, most people including me cannot tell if something is actually a little slow. BUT, everyone can hear uneven speed, or "wow," right away, so the chances are you are hearing a slow wobble in the pitch.

Give me a call the next time you fire it up -- maybe I can listen over the phone to see if I can tell what you're hearing.

Larry

Marty,

Just some more memories from the old days. Memory is imperfect; natch.

There were two formulations of tape as far as the underlying ribbon..

Acetate was the first and it was a bit brittle and weak. It would break clean when physically overloaded..

Later, Mylar came out. It was stronger. But it tended to stretch on physical overload.

As you can imagine, the amount of recording time on a reel depends on the thickness of the tape.
You may be seeing this in your experiments.

Here there was a conundurm for engineers. Thin acetate would snap. Thin mylar would stretch.

Gil

I believe I sent Marty one classical tape recorded at 3 3/4 (not by me) and the rest were blanks or recorded at 7 1/2. Marty emailed me that the classical tape played okay but the rest were real slow. I ventured a guess that the deck was not operating properly at the higher speed[^o)] I don't know how the speed change occurs on that deck so I don't know where to look. Any help guys?

Thanks for the info guys.

I think I've discovered the problem. I think the belt was on the wrong
ratchet of the power motor. I'm pretty sure that's it but since I've
ordered a new belt I'll wait until after that's installed, reassemble everything, and see if
I've succeeded.