Klipsch Epic CF 3 Version 1 In Da House

ka7niq

Yep, the Holy Grail for us Epic Series fans, the Klipsch Epic CF 3 Version One, sitting outside in my pick up truck.

Neighborhood kids on way over to help me get em inside.

Just found em locally by accident in a newspaper ad.

I asked the guy WHAT model Klipsch speakers was he selling, and he looked at the back and said "It says Klipsch Epic series CF 3.

I asked him to remove grilles, and pull out a port tube.

I asked him how long it was.

When he said "6 inches" I had to take a Nerve Pill.

I knew I had found the "Holy Grail".

For ONLY the rare version one has the 6 inch port tubes.

Here is the story of the Klipsch Epic series, as I understand it.

The original Klipsch Epic CF 3 and CF 4 Version one's had 6 inch ports, and the original crossover.

Dealers did not receive them well it is said.

They did not sound like the Klipschorns and Cornwalls, etc.

A GOOD thing, IMHO.

Nor were they as efficient either.

Listening to them required you to be seated, or highs were lost due to the stacked driver design.

And so, Roy Delgado's masterpiece was IMHO ruined, turned into a boom box in the version 2.

Port tuning was raised for more efficiency, and the horn level was increased to make then "sell better" in a showroom.

The increase in horn level was marketing's "Way" to compensate for the customers who did not wish to have a seat and listen.

Only problem was, the speakers then became bright for seated listeners!

Things got WORSE in the version 3's, much worse!

The woofer cone itself was lightened "in the name of efficiency".

It lost it's smoothness and low coloration.

Finally, the design was discontinued.

A real shame IMHO.

I think Roy Delgado did a good job on the original design, the version one.

I HAD a pair of CF 4's,. version one's, and I wish I had them back again.

Someday, I will find a replacement pair.

Until then, I was lucky to find these.

Congrats!

I hadn't known about the changes in the CF3. Very cool to have the original version.

Thanks!

There are MANY more version 2 and 3's then version ones.

Just as vertical Cornwalls are sought out by some, version one Epic Series are a CF series fans best choice.

Here is a link to a picture http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/cf-3.aspx

The version 2's could be turned BACK into the vastly superior version 1's.

All it takes is the pair of 6 inch ports, and to un do the crossover change.

There simply is NO comparasion.

Whoever was responsible for ruining Roy Delgado's original design should be drawn and quartered.

Perhaps Klipsch, or one of our aftermarket suppliers of crossovers could examine the different crossovers, and make a kit to put the speaker back to it's former performance ?

Trey and Roy told me it was a minor crossover change, perhaps a different value resistor/capacitor ?

Unfortunately, there are no records, so a visual inspection of the different crossovers will show the change ?

It really is a shame, because these are VERY good drivers.

The twin woofer/mids are Neo Magnet devices specially made for Klipsch.

They are very expensive drivers, and if you own a pair of CF 3's, do NOT hurt them, Klipsch has no spares.

With the correct port tuning, bass is deep, fast, and powerful

The 2" throat compression driver does a pretty good job with it's Tractrix horn

The midrange is also much better.

Hats off to you Roy Delgado for a great design.

I bought a new pair of first year CF-2's back in the mid 90's that I liked very much, and it was those speakers that brought me back to Klipsch. I sold them to my brother-in-law so I still get to hear them occasionally. I have always felt the Epics were an underappreciated speaker.

Mike

Or put differently, Is a 6" port the way to identify both CF-3 and CF-4 1st editions? I've decided if I ever saw either speaker for sale near Boston I would jump at the opportunity and figure out later if the RF-7 or Chorus-II would have to go. Also, can both version 2s be easily reworked to 1s?

Leo

Or put differently, Is a 6" port the way to identify both CF-3 and CF-4 1st editions? I've decided if I ever saw either speaker for sale near Boston I would jump at the opportunity and figure out later if the RF-7 or Chorus-II would have to go. Also, can both version 2s be easily reworked to 1s?

Leo

Only the version one CF 3 and CF 4 have 6 inch ports.

I do not know about the CF 2's ?

The version 2's still have the good drivers, but shorter ports, and the compromised crossover.

I was told Klipsch's engineer Roy Delgado put a lot of time into their design in the original version one.

But dealers complained, so marketing stepped in and re voiced em.

Bad move, IMHO.

The shorter ports of the version 2 and 3 turn the speaker into a boom box in comparasion to the deep, tight bass these expensive Neo Magnet drivers are capable of.

The port swap is easy.

Unfortunately, Klipsch has no records as to what was done to the crossover in later versions ?

IF it was just a level change, once could simply bi amp the speakers passively, and use level controls on the amps to acheive whatever level you want for the horn.

I hated the Bass on the version 2's.

While it did have good impact, it was loose and often one note.

The bass on the version ones is tight and tuneful.

You know, the kind of bass that makes you tap your toes ?

IF I had version 2's, I wouild call Klipsch and get the version one 6 inch ports.

The horn level may not be right with the lower bass tuning ?

But version 2 owners IMO need to see what kind of bass performance Roy Delgado designed into these speakers, and how much was lost in the name of a little higher efficiency, and a "warmer" sound.

Trey Cannon is really up on these too, since I basically drove him crazy about them years ago.

He can tell you by the serail numbers if they are version 1's, 2's or version 3's.

STAY away from version 3's, the drivers were changed.

They will never be version ones, no matter what, unless you change drivers, and Klipsch has none.

At least woofers, and the compression drivers are super expensive.

There are quite a few version 2's still around.

The crossovers appear to have Mylar and Electrolytic caps, so there may be some improvements to be had here as well.

They really are pretty dam good stock, but children must play .....

So is it safe to say that if the the plastic ports behind the grille mesure 3" then they are the less desireable later version?

Version 2 and version 3 have 3" ports.

Version 2 are very desirable, for they can be returned to their former glory.

Version 3 is a different speaker, avoid it.

Call Trey Cannon at Klipsch and check serial numbers to be SURE they are not version 3's.

IMO, the ONLY reason to buy a pair of version 3's is for the box to put version one or version two parts in.

Not really sure on crossover frequency, heard it several ways.

Having no crossover in the midrange makes for a smooth sound.

Of course, the flip side is more distortion then a 3 way.

As far as prices go, that is anyones guess.

Have to check Ebay records to see what they went for.

I sold my CF 3's version 2's in whitewash oak for 600.00

Since version ones are so scarce, they go for more, IF you can find em.

ka7niq, That's a lot of very good information. Thanks. Also, congratulations on securing a pair of the right vintage for yourself. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Leo

Thanks Leo.

Like I said, I just lucked into these.

You can't imagine how many CF series sellers I drove nuts asking how long the ports were.

I had almost given up on ever finding a version one again.

Man, I got em imaging like you would not believe right now!

Still gotta get em biwired, just basically slapped em in, moved em a bit, sat down and enjoyed.

Haven't even got my really good stuff hooked to them either.

AND, my big corner mounted subs are silent, just listening to the speakers only.

I just picked up a pair of CF-4s this past weekend. However, I believe they are the third version based on their serial number and mfg date (they do have the 3" ports). I haven't had a chance to really listen to them, but so far they sound good enough to keep. They are large! Bigger than the Chorus IIs and almost as tall as the Klipschorns. They have a cherrywood finish and the wife complemented their appearance when I got them home saying "I like the way they look, let's keep 'em."

I just picked up a pair of CF-4s this past weekend. However, I believe they are the third version based on their serial number and mfg date (they do have the 3" ports). I haven't had a chance to really listen to them, but so far they sound good enough to keep. They are large! Bigger than the Chorus IIs and almost as tall as the Klipschorns. They have a cherrywood finish and the wife complemented their appearance when I got them home saying "I like the way they look, let's keep 'em."

Mine are cherry wood too.

• 1 month later...

The first 4 serial#'s will give that info. so if they start out say 2394, That says they were made on the 239th day of 1994. If the 4th # were a 5 Then the year would be 1995. Only the epics made in 1994 were version 1's, And maybe early 1995. Klipsch support would know more on that fine detail. Hope that helps! I have ver.1 CF-4's, and they truly Rock!!!