kg4 replacement horn

kik240

Hey everyone. I am new at this whole vintage audio thing. My Dad recently got me into the vintage side of things. He went crazy on ebay and bought up probably 20 Dynaco ST70's and bunch of other older pre-amps and several differnt speakers including multiple pairs of Heresy's. Anyway I went and visited him and was extremely impressed with the sound that these 30 year old speakers and a 50 year old amp could produce!!! It was absolutely amazing to say the least. I have always been a fan of audio and have owned many differnet sets of mondern speakers including DCM's/Infinity's/B&W's/JBL and so on. I currently have the Klipsch Quintet III's and a 10" synergy sub for my HT. Anyway my dad sent me a tube amp that was made in Japan somewhere. Its made by a company called Sountrack and it's just a simple 20+/- watts per channel stereo amp. I really liked the look and sound of klipsch so I started researching different vintage speakers which led me to the kg4's. I found what I thought was a very nice pair on ebay. I went and picked them up from the gentalman who sold them on ebay on behalf of a women he knows. She was freeing up space for her father who was coming up from Florida and sold 2 pairs of kg4's. I was so excited to go pick them up on Saturday morning that I couldnt sleep!!! I brought them home and immediatly started setting them up. I turned up the volume and heard great sound out of one of them but only the low end out of the other. I put me ear up to the right speaker and there was nothing coming out of the horn tweeter. I tried switching the equipment/the source/the wiring and no change. I am not sure if it is a problem with the crossover or if the problem lies with the horn itself. I tried to remove the horn by taking out the 8 screws that hold the horn in. I thought it would just pop out after that but it wouldnt budge. My guess is that there is some type of sealent that is holding the horn in. At this point the seller is willing to refund the money for the speakers but I would be so bummed to start over agian after the waiting and waiting. I was wondering if I need to buy a replacement horn how much would something like this cost and also does anyone have a used one in good shape that would be willing to part with. My last question is if anyone else has any ideas to figure out what is wrong please let me know. Thanks!

Hi Newbie. Assuming the "horn" is blown you don't need a new horn just a new diaphragm which is fairly easy to replace. Bob Crites sells them on ebay and also posts here so he can probably help you. Or, you can try getting one from Klipsch parts for probably less than $50.00. Good luck.

The horn has a foam gasket behind it that has turned to goo. Tilt it gently (with your hands inside the horn as far back as you can get) with steady pressure toward the top of the cabinet and it will come loose.

Buy a pair of diaphragmes, not a single. Klipsch has made different diaphragms for these over the years, you want a matched pair. You can save the old working one for a spare.

If you plan on playing these loud, buy a pair of 211-2 automotive dome lamps and wire one in series with the hot lead to each horn.

Cost you about $60.

Thanks for all the help so far. So just to be sure. If there is no noise at all coming from the horn than it is a blown diaphragm? If the diamphragm is blown does this mean that there should be no noise or just distorded noise? Also based on what everyone thinks could this be an issue with the crossover? Should I buy these directly from Klipsch or ebay? Thanks again everyone!!!

good advice from all. To clarify:

There is never any adhesive from the factory holding the drivers/horns in place, but the gasket can get 'gooey' with age. Pry the horn out or gently tamp from back side.

Diaphram starts distorting first, then seizes up so you could hear rattle or scrape in speaker before it dies altogether.

Good advice to check wiring inside speaker but crossovers rarely fail.

Use Ohmeter to check individual drivers (disconnect from all wiring first) Infinite (thanks BEC) ohms = blown

replace diaphrams or motor assemblies, you should not need horns. Get the smallest moving part that Parts will sell. If they sell it broken down, it's field replaceable.

Doing diaphrams in pairs is a good idea if you can afford it.

Parts at 1-00-554-7724

Unfortunately I do not have a volt meter. I suppose I could switch the horn from the other speaker and see if it still works. This should rule out the crossover. If it does work I can then order the diaphragm. I am not the most technology savvy person. Is this something I can do myself easily (installing the new diaphragm) or is this something I should bring to a dealer and have them do it? Has anyone done this? Again I appreciate everyones help:)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Yes, you can swap them to determine if one is bad.  Changing the diaphragm on that tweeter is very easy.  No soldering involved and the only tools needed are screwdriver to remove the horn and driver and a small wrench or pair of small pliers to remove the nuts that hold the horn to the magnet assembly.  Then you just take out the old diaphragm and put in the new.  Place the horn back on and reinstall the nuts you removed.  Five minute job.

Bob Crites

You make it sound real easy!!! I like that....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Well I guess I have to go home tonight and switch the horns out. After that I will need some new diaphragms. Someone earlier said that I can buy them on ebay. I tried to search for them but don't know which ones I will need. Is there a specific model number? That way I can get this done and get to some listening finally!!! Also will I need new gaskets?

Five minute job.

Bob Crites

That's a good one...

Seriously though, when I bought his replacement tweeters, it didn't take ten minutes to swap them out of both of my LaScalas.

It may take you a little longer than five minutes, but it is still an easy task. Bob can sell you the diaphragms, but you need to email him or send a PM.

Bruce

Yeah, who knew they would become the haven for scam-artists, stolen merchandise, a way to dump intermittent equipment, sell damaged goods (and claim it happened in shipping), etc, ect, ect.

Maybe I should invest in the neighborhood drug dealers. The return on investment would be good, and I wouldn't feel any dirtier than I would buying eBay stock.

djk,

Oh come now! I have bought and sold a lot legitimate used (and sometimes new) items on eBay. I think you are painting a much darker picture of eBay than it is in reality. I'm not saying those things you mentioned never happen, but I think they are by far the exception and not the rule. Just about all my Klipsch speakers came from eBay.

At this point I have already purchased the diaphragms from Bob Crites in order to get things rolling. I did purchase a matched pair which seems to be the best way to go based on popular opinion. In regards to purchasing on eBay I personally think that it's great. I have definitely had a couple of times where the item I purchased wasnot what it appeared to be and I ended up sending it back. At the same time I have also purchased many brand new things from a regular store and have had problems with them too! I guess the great thing about eBay is that it is just a big flea market. Also the prices are set at what they should be (people pay what the item is worth). At any rate it led me to a great pair of vintage Klipsch speakers which in turn led me here!!!! I will update the post and let everyone know how the horn's turned out after I switch the diaphragms. Thanks again everyone for your help.....!!!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />