Accepting WAF... New Home Theater

Professor Thump

I am such a good husband! We recently got a flat panel LCD TV for our family room. I have RF-63 and RC-64 for my front channels in this room and I am really proud of these babies because I designed the product, finished the cabinets and assembled the speakers just the way I wanted them. When I hung the TV on the wall the speakers looked out of place. I could have lived with it because it really sounds good, but I have a THX Ultra II system in the basement theater, and I knew my wife would be please if I installed In Wall Klipsch speakers in this room to make it more streamlined. Let's face it you can be small and elegant or big and sound awesome. It is hard to have both.

Being a speaker designer all my life my wife has had to put up with lots of speakers. You guys know the drill...too many speakers but need some more. Well I thought I would be a good husband and play into the WAF rules for this room, so here is the installation in process.

[imageAttachment]

I installed (2) R-5800W for L/R and (2) RW-5802 for LFE in the walls. I still need to decide on the sub amp and install a center channel. For now I will use the RC-64 for center, even though it is mounted low. The sub amp needs to be special since the sub box is so small and requires a lot of EQ to sound flat. I have a large volume of air behind the wall for ventilation pipes but the subs are sealed boxes as is. I am tempted to vent them but am concerned with excursion issues since that driver was designed for a small box. I guess I should do the box calculations in LEAP to see how well the drivers do in a larger box. This project is a spur of the moment, since I wasn’t planning on buying a flat panel TV soon and the speakers I bid on at an employee sale last week.

I warned my wife that it wouldn’t sound as good as the RF-63/4 and I place the IW’s against the wall when I unboxed them and fired them up without the subs. They sounded terrible but of course they would. They were designed to be placed in the wall so there was no back box thus no bass. There was also a hot honk in the lower midrange. So now I started getting a little nervous, at the thought of cutting holes in the drywall and having it sound like donkey doodoo.

Well I thought it would be cool to mount them sideways and rotate the horn, so they were lower profile. That way pictures would get in the way when hung. Well as you will see in the pictures attached that the studs were tighter than 18” on center and the mounting brackets got in the way of the studs. Close but now cigar. Now I have to fill a hole in the wall.

The subs are mounted low on center out of view and a center channel hole still needs to be cut.

More to follow…

post-20592-13819353861874_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I had your construction skills.

Link

Utttt Oh...Now you are making me nervous Arky. This is an LCD so it is 90 lbs which should be lighter than a plazma. I almost hung it over the fireplace but I was worried about heat aging the electronics prematurely.

I will say that I did verify studs for all (4) 2 " bolts and Matt MacBeth helped me hang it, and he "said" he had professionally done this before. Matt is our new program manager at Klipsch. I better check his resume to see if he really did hang TV's before, or see if he got fired for not hanging them properly.

I haven't had that problem with stud finders going off everytime I walk past them though...

Matt MacBeth helped me hang it

Didn't he use to live near Sherwood Forest and kill the king?

I'd be leary of him helping me "hang" anything!!

[:o]

I think it's looking good. Are those the same inwalls we heard in Indy last Klipschfest? Those sounded very nice to me. As I recall, that was in the same room that Mr. Hunter took to flipping me the bird... [*-)]

[;)]

So what will become of the RF-63 and the RC-64 once you're finished?

That's gotta take a lot of guts to just start cutting into your drywall like that.

I did all the drywall in the basement so I know if I have enough mud I can fill any hole. I think I used 6 pales down there but an drywall expert said I should have done the whole house with a pale. I guess my walls weren't as straight. Now I know why it took me six weeks to do the drywall.

I moved the 63's next to the 83's in the basement theater. I still have to update the 83 crossovers to the lastest revision. I wonder how the will work inplace of the THX Ultra II's?

TOO MANY TOYS! Not enough floor!!!

I had to patch a hole, although a bit smaller, similar to the one I see in your pics. FWIW, I cut a piece of drywall a bit larger than that of the hole I was patching and glued it behind the hole to provide something for the mud to adhere to. I dunno if there's another/better way to do it, but that seemed to work fairly well for me.

Looks great, Thumper!! Keep the pic's comin'!

-David