Accepting WAF... New Home Theater

Professor Thump

I had to patch a hole, although a bit smaller, similar to the one I see in your pics. FWIW, I cut a piece of drywall a bit larger than that of the hole I was patching and glued it behind the hole to provide something for the mud to adhere to. I dunno if there's another/better way to do it, but that seemed to work fairly well for me.

Couple things I've done patching holes (some nearing foot square)... take some 1x4 or 1x? boards, cut them to fit between the studs and insert them into the hole, screwing them into the "solid" drywall. Top and sides... once done, take a piece of drywall and put it inside the hole, screwing it to the now exposed parts of those boards.

I've also used 2x4's

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest macbeth

Coytee,

Good tips - when I do in-wall installs, I add in some bracing from the back sides in a similar fashion. Firmer walls make a much better soundstage.

Matt

Coytee,

Your method would be superior to mine. The 1x? pieces would provide excellent support and also allow you to piece in a piece of drywall that is close in size to the hole. You would also use much less mud, which is ALWAYS a good thing lol. Good idea.

David

[imageAttachment]

Here is a view of the subs in the wall...

By the time I get through with that wall it is gonna be swiss cheese because I still have a center channel speaker to mount. I have to decide whether to mount it below or above the TFT panel.

In my basement theater I went above the screen because as a "rule of thump" the ceiling makes a better horn wall than the floor with furniture and stuff on the floors. It really sounds good there but that room doesn't have any WAF influence. She thinks the diffuser I made for the ceiling don't look good. I just smiled at her and said "But it will open up the imaging". She just rolled her eyes knowing that I am audio geek with no hope of changing.

Gee Life is Good!

post-20592-13819353972974_thumb.jpg

[imageAttachment]

Here is a distant view. You can see the fireplace/stove in the other corner. This always makes it harder to layout an AV system without making it look cluttered.

I must have learned that from my wife.

"See honey I am listening to your advice. I turned off the wife filter"

Why don't you stick it... in the wall!

post-20592-13819353974214_thumb.jpg

You could always consider "repairing" the wall so that it looks like crap so that she never expects you to do anything with inwalls ever again [*-)]

Do you have any pictures of your other install too? It'd be 'cool' to see the 'ugly' things you've done in the other room too [;)]

• Moderators

You could always consider "repairing" the wall so that it looks like crap so that she never expects you to do anything with inwalls ever again Confused

Do you have any pictures of your other install too? It'd be 'cool' to see the 'ugly' things you've done in the other room too Wink

That works DrWho, I never have to paint anymore because I did such a bad job in the past she will not let me paint at all ! [:D]

Guest macbeth

Matt MacBeth helped me hang it

Didn't he use to live near Sherwood Forest and kill the king?

Ironically enough, if you do a google driving direction between "Sherwood Forest, Indianapolis, IN" and "Carmel, IN" (my apartment), you'll notice that I live around 4 miles from Sherwood Forest!

And about the king . . .

Matt