Practicality of picking an HDTV

endover

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a budget of $2500, why would you settle for something as little as a 50-52"?? Is your room very small?

Why not something bigger?? In todays market.........you can get a 73" 1080p DLP for only $3,000!! A 65" can be owned for only $2,000!!

My 2 cents....skip the little stuff and buy something big.

I guess that we are all assuming that he has purposely narrowed his choices down to plasma or LCD due to his personal preferences related to:

picture quality, contrast, viewing distance, viewing angle, associated costs, and the like. In other words, for the distance and viewing angle that he will be looking at the screen, maybe he likes the "look" of plasma or LCD over DLP. They do look vastly different.

Of course, while we are at it, why don't we just throw 720p projectors into the mix with 110 inch screens?

Carl.

cj,

Which Model 50" Panasonic did you get?

50PX75U. They also have the same TV with an anti-glare screen for about $100 more.

Carl.

Bill, unless you have a bright room I doubt you would need the anti-glare screen. I caught a $1399 price after Thanksgiving at Circuit City. Their price has been changing daily.

And as always, there may be considerations regarding price. There is no doubt that I agree that the Pioneer Kuro line is currently putting out the best picture out of the bunch. If I did not have so much invested in my "audio stuff" (and being in the middle of kitchen remodeling), I might have given those plasmas serious consideration.

However, a 50 inch Pioneer Kuro 720p plasma can run almost twice as much as my 50 inch Panasonic. The gentleman has voiced a $2500 budget. Whether or not the additional expense is worth it vs. the increase in picture quality would be for the individual purchaser to decide.

Carl.

Actually, the Kuros can be had for about $2600 at B&M stores.

And as always, there may be considerations regarding price. There is no doubt that I agree that the Pioneer Kuro line is currently putting out the best picture out of the bunch. If I did not have so much invested in my "audio stuff" (and being in the middle of kitchen remodeling), I might have given those plasmas serious consideration.

However, a 50 inch Pioneer Kuro 720p plasma can run almost twice as much as my 50 inch Panasonic. The gentleman has voiced a $2500 budget. Whether or not the additional expense is worth it vs. the increase in picture quality would be for the individual purchaser to decide.

Carl.

Actually, the Kuros can be had for about $2600 at B&M stores.

Oops, my bad.

I should have said that the 50 inch Kuro plasma runs about 79% more than my 50 inch Panasonic.

Carl.

All is good info so thanks for the input.

I think what it boils down to is if I want an LCD, I'm going to watch the Samsung LN-T5251f and wait for it to come into my price range (Butterfly Photo seems to be dropping their price fast) and if I want a Plasma, I'd love the Pioneer PDP-5010fd but it's way out of my price range. It's a great picture and loaded with extras. The next plasma choice would be one of the Panasonics which also have a great picture but not as many extras but currently have great prices.

Oddly enough (and it baffles me) my wife is actually pushing harder than I am to get the flat screen....now (what a shame). I'm trying to hold her off to see which TV drops into our price range between Christmas and Superbowl and then we'll pull the trigger.

All is good info so thanks for the input.

I think what it boils down to is if I want an LCD, I'm going to watch the Samsung LN-T5251f and wait for it to come into my price range (Butterfly Photo seems to be dropping their price fast) and if I want a Plasma, I'd love the Pioneer PDP-5010fd but it's way out of my price range. It's a great picture and loaded with extras. The next plasma choice would be one of the Panasonics which also have a great picture but not as many extras but currently have great prices.

Oddly enough (and it baffles me) my wife is actually pushing harder than I am to get the flat screen....now (what a shame). I'm trying to hold her off to see which TV drops into our price range between Christmas and Superbowl and then we'll pull the trigger.

Circuit City may be the place! Good Fortune!

* 1 answer to DLP/LCD lamps, just buy the bulb. http://www.bulbsolutions.com/Toshiba_TBL4_LMP_Replacement_Lamp_p/tbl4-lmp.htm

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING until you check out the Sony KDS 50A3000. I was in the same boat you were, looking at 46" to 50" flat panels and plasma's in the 2000.00-3000.00 range But the newer Sony A series projections, particularly the LCoS based SXRD technology, are a different breed. It is much thinner and lighter than the older projections, just 14" thick and 70 lbs., has the new craze in HDTV's, 120Hz processing motion-flow, has 1080p resolution, 3 HDMI inputs, has deep black levels with best in class primary color accuracies, and is a beautiful looking TV. When the lamp goes out in 3-6 years, you can replace the bulb yourself, and its like a new TV all over again. No lost contrast levels like flat panels or burn in screens like plasma's. I found mine BRAND NEW IN THE BOX at Hi Fi Buys in Nashville, Tenn. for an incredible low price of just 1299.00 + tax. (financed by Sony - 18 months, same as cash, no payments, no interest). Check this TV out online and then go check the picture quality out in person. I promise, you will be amazed.......JMelet

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING until you check out the Sony KDS 50A3000. I was in the same boat you were, looking at 46" to 50" flat panels and plasma's in the 2000.00-3000.00 range But the newer Sony A series projections, particularly the LCoS based SXRD technology, are a different breed. It is much thinner and lighter than the older projections, just 14" thick and 70 lbs., has the new craze in HDTV's, 120Hz processing motion-flow, has 1080p resolution, 3 HDMI inputs, has deep black levels with best in class primary color accuracies, and is a beautiful looking TV. When the lamp goes out in 3-6 years, you can replace the bulb yourself, and its like a new TV all over again. No lost contrast levels like flat panels or burn in screens like plasma's. I found mine BRAND NEW IN THE BOX at Hi Fi Buys in Nashville, Tenn. for an incredible low price of just 1299.00 + tax. (financed by Sony - 18 months, same as cash, no payments, no interest). Check this TV out online and then go check the picture quality out in person. I promise, you will be amazed.......JMelet

Wow, uhhh.... You're not associated with Hi Fi Buys in Nashville, TN in any way, are you? Naaaaaahhhh. One of my TVs is the 50a3000 and whilst it is a great TV, it isn't nearly as good as many well-conceived LCDs and plasmas. LCDs have legitimately high contrasts now, as well as the fact that plasmas don't really burn in at all anymore unless put through a torture test for 1+ days (which, ironically, would cause image retention in LCoS chips -- check your manual).

I am not accociated at all with Hi Fi Buys. And by the way, I am originally from Steubenville, Ohio, just 40 miles from Pittsburgh, and my in-laws live in Champion, Pa. about 5 minutes from Seven Spings ski resort. GO STEELERS!!! It is my understanding that only plasma sets have the potential for burn- in, and even that is only a fraction of what it was with earlier models since these sets can now recover from most image retention scenarios. All other technologies such as LCD, DLP, LCos, are not affected by screen burn-in because they don't use phosphor technology. Check these links out.....Jmelet

www.amazon.com/tag/hdtv/forum

www.reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs

I am not accociated at all with Hi Fi Buys. And by the way, I am originally from Steubenville, Ohio, just 40 miles from Pittsburgh, and my in-laws live in Champion, Pa. about 5 minutes from Seven Spings ski resort. GO STEELERS!!! It is my understanding that only plasma sets have the potential for burn- in, and even that is only a fraction of what it was with earlier models since these sets can now recover from most image retention scenarios. All other technologies such as LCD, DLP, LCos, are not affected by screen burn-in because they don't use phosphor technology. Check these links out.....Jmelet

www.amazon.com/tag/hdtv/forum

www.reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs

That is not *quite* true. Actually throughout the life of an LCD panel, if an image remains static it is very possible for those cells affected by the static image to begin to shade differently than their always-changing counterpart. The idea is that the transistors inside each cell controlling the opening and closing can change their capacitance level and therefore reorient that particular cell. This is seen as a burnt in image. Granted it does take a lot (and I mean a whole lot) but if you constantly are watching SDTV in the standard 4:3 aspect ratio, there's a good portion of the screen with completely shut LCD cells. Just some food for thought.

Folks, we can cite exceptional cases all day long, (and realizing that the occurrence is not that common to begin with), but the fact is that, relatively speaking, the plasma is more prone to burn-in than the other formats. And although advances have been made, their average lifecycle is shorter (as if anyone will be satisfied with a set at 1/2 its initial brightness!

This metric is almost as useful as that of a 'serving size' that allows Crisco shortening, which is 100% hydrogenated oil to proudly label shortening as 0 grams transfat! And it is 100% transfat! Don't believe me, check it out for yourself the next time you are n the grocery store! But your government mandated these labels for your protection...

And after many years of being very happy and impressed with Sony quality having used them in an industrial setting where they were literally treated like #$@% and just kept on ticking, I am now very leery of their TVs, being the proud owner of a very expensive and large boat anchor - which, after talking to the service facility, was able to guess the brand simply on the basis of the symptoms - I have since discovered that I am simply of of many with the same experience... But, my and many other's experiences aside, Consumers reports does like Sony and Toshiba best overall.

iSupply, the industry analyst, still projects significant price drops over the next 1-2 years with oversupply occurring rendering the still seller's market into a buyer's market. So if you can afford to wait, you will get more for less. to a greater degree than you can now.

You pays your money and takes your pick...

I am very very happy with my 50" Panny Plasma. I wall mounted it with an articulating arm mount which allows adjustable swivel, tilt and skew and can be pulled out a couple of feet from the wall when in use and then pushed back in nearly flush. A very versatile mount.

C-net does a wonderful job reviewing TV's. I would look at their site. You should have no problems at your price point.

You have to keep in mind that the technology on these HDTVs is changing about every 3 months with new and better stuff. Basically you have to be satisfied with your purchase for a short while even though there are "anamolies". Geez, nobody ever hollered and screamed about CRT's with bad convergence, crooked telephone poles, green faces, orange faces, 20% overscan, unsharp pictures, dust induced arcing, no auxillary inputs, static, noise, video tape horizontal tint bars of the 60's and 70's, small screens, screens making all people look fat, screens making all people look skinny, video tearing, VHS VCR mushy pictures, signal fading, and why doesn't my coat hanger antenna work any more. Now everybody is splitting hairs.

JJK

You have to keep in mind that the technology on these HDTVs is changing about every 3 months with new and better stuff. Basically you have to be satisfied with your purchase for a short while even though there are "anamolies". Geez, nobody ever hollered and screamed about CRT's with bad convergence, crooked telephone poles, green faces, orange faces, 20% overscan, unsharp pictures, dust induced arcing, no auxillary inputs, static, noise, video tape horizontal tint bars of the 60's and 70's, small screens, screens making all people look fat, screens making all people look skinny, video tearing, VHS VCR mushy pictures, signal fading, and why doesn't my coat hanger antenna work any more. Now everybody is splitting hairs.

JJK

LOL!

And still with all of the technological advances, your programming sources are still dominated by "How did you survive the day" alarmist infotainment passing as news, your 'oh so necessary' Hollywood stomach pump updates, Jerry springer and Maury Povich (their guests!), Court TV, and a plethora of 'anything but' reality shows. At least we have the erudite Beauty and the Geek as an alternative to all of that other insipid nonsense in HD!

Face it folks, your biggest challenge is in finding quality programming.

[;)]

I sure hope Peter Jackson gets his crew in gear and hurries up with The Hobbit! (or is it the Hobittses...as they are reportedly going to do several (??))

I sure hope Peter Jackson gets his crew in gear and hurries up with The Hobbit! (or is it the Hobittses...as they are reportedly going to do several (??))

Yes sir, they will be doing two flims, based on the Hobbit and other stories by Tolkien interwoven that lead up to the LOTR trilogy. The hobbit isn't what I call a two film action packed feature of a tale [;)]